“A great experience on the Mornington Peninsula”

Le Bouchon French Cuisine
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Balnarring
Price range: USD 15 - USD 24
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We were looking after family dogs so were relatively close by. The experience was everything we had heard from others - a genuine French Restaurant with good food and service. We had Terrine and Steak Tartare as starters, followed by fish and Tarte Tatin as a dessert. The wine list was a good mix of local and French wines - I tried an excellent Muscadet from Bordeaux, which I had never had before.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Took partner to le Bouchon for dinner. It was her birthday & the restaurant was recommended to us. It turned out to be a fantastic recommendation.
The restaurant interior provides a little glimpse of France, albeit a much more recent take than similar establishments likely to be found in ‘La Belle’. Whatever, it certainly makes for a nice ambience, ably setting the tone for the food & wine.
I had booked a couple of weeks in advance, to be sure of a table. Thought that this was probably overkill - how many diners would be in a restaurant in Balnarring on a Tuesday evening at 6:30pm? The answer was - astonishingly many. To judge by the interplay between the staff & diners, many of the diners were ‘regulars’, another good sign.
We were greeted inside the door & duly shown to our table. All staff we had any dealings with were friendly, professional & accommodating.
We started with glasses from the extensive wine list: Languedoc Pinot noir for me, what else but champagne for the birthday celebrator? A basket with slices of warm baguette appeared (& disappeared) - for once without the customary lament of “Why is it impossible to find a baguette in Oz that tastes like a baguette?”
For starters we chose to share the charcuterie platter. This was delicious, the pate & terrine standouts, jamon excellent & all complemented by the beautifully fresh salad.
As mains we decided on the beef bourguignon (for her) & the duck (2 ways) for me. Partner raved about the beef - flavourful & falling-apart tender. The duck (from the specials board) was similarly impressive: the confit leg was sumptuous & a lovely balance with the perfectly-cooked breast fillet which was deep pink & succulent.
Generally partner & I never manage dessert - or at best, share one. Not tonight. I chose the creme brûlée which was all a creme brûlée could be. Madame went the way of the nougat glacee- to quote from the menu: “Frozen hazelnut praline parfait, berry salad & coulis.” Both desserts were excellent.
We are all ready plotting a return visit.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Had lunch with family and it was just wonderful. Great decor makes you feel as if you are in Paris. Food is gorgeous. The steak Tartar was a big hit as well as the cassoulet. Worth the scenic drive.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Three years after living in Paris and I’m home to a fantastic, tres french restaurant and hidden gem on the Mornington Peninsula. It’s as authentic a bistro as anything you’ll get in Paris, with a stunning wood/tile interior and beautiful french bar scene. Stefan, the owner, greets us warmly with his big french toothy grin and I already know this place is going to be special. We sit outside in the late afternoon sun, autumn leaves falling. A couple of kir royals is a tough way to enjoy a Friday, and the wine list is nothing short of excellent. So I sip some wine, practice speaking french with the waiters, enjoy crusty baguette, and suddenly I’m transported back to Paris, my love. I regard le menu, which has all your traditional french players from soup à l’oignon, escargot, fois gras, boeuf bourguignon, nois st Jacques et cassoulet, but the duck confit is standout: crisp, juicy and served with lardons and pommes de terre; the steak au poivre avec pommes frites is similarly french with a rich bearnaise sauce on the side. We have a little slice of french heaven right here in our own backyard, and I wonder at how truly spoilt we are and I don’t want to leave. It’s Paris without the plane ticket! Thank you Stefan for bringing a little bit of France home to Australia, c’est mon nouveau restaurant favorite!

1  Thank Susan W
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

The new fit out is top class
Like sitting in Paris
Stefan the owner is always welcoming and friendly and all the staff care about customer service & a warm welcome
To feel at home in a relaxed environment
Excellent food quality and wine selection and value for money
My wife & I always look forward to a pleasant nights dining and it’s getting harder to get a table so book ahead