See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 November 2016

Spent one night at Tokyo Banyan due to the close proximity to Haneda Airport.

I like small hotels which appear intimate which this one could be, however, with the unpleasant stale cigarette smoke and out of date rooms, this place needs a lick of paint as soon as possible and new furniture.

Staff were welcoming and helpful.

Bed was comfortable and sheets were clean. Bathroom clean. However, the bathroom reminds me of a cruise ship. Very small and plastic in appearance.

However, be mindful that this is cheap hotel, so you pay for what you get.

Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2016

We booked the Banyan for one night because we had arrived early for our tour and the designated hotel was full that night. The Banyan is in a nice neighborhood which has good restaurants and shopping and is away from the craziness of more central Tokyo locations. It was not easy to find, even for a taxi driver. Once we did find it, the young man behind the desk could not have been nicer or more helpful. The room was small and cramped, with very basic amenities. But for someone on a budget, the $79 a night rate is worth it.

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2015

I was warned about the property being dingy and they were not exaggerating . The linen was clean and crisp but my room (315) smelt variously between cigarette abused to sewage overflow
I was not prepared to stay for the second night that I had paid for. I was promised the manager would call me after I had spoken to two front desk personnel but I received no call
I booked this hotel for its location and cost but neither of these reasons were enough to compensate for the unpleasant odours I endured for one night.
Bob from NZ

Room tip: Do not use room 315 at least. Maybe trust the reviews and look elsewhere
Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank bobnz1
Reviewed 14 April 2015

Located only 4 blocks from Oimachi station, which is just a stop away from Shinagawa station, it was less expensive that hotels near Shibuya (the central area of Tokyo), but had good access to it. Unfortunately the washroom smelled like sewer, which made the whole room feel dingier. Size wise, it was definitely roomy, except for the bathroom which seemed like an airplane washroom.
The staff were nice, we told them about the smell and they did try to fix it, unsuccessfully. I wouldn't stay here again.

Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2014

I read a lot of reviews before booking this hotel. Many reviewers complained that the hotel is old, dirty and smelly. I was a bit nervous but chose this hotel nevertheless.

The best point is its location (but it may be difficult to find at first). It is quite near Oimachi Station where is 3 min far from Shinagawa station. It took 5 minutes for my 60-year-old mom and I to walk between the hotel and the station. I found that the easiest way is not the way Google recommended. I would recommend to walk along the train track and then take the first turn on the right. Walking along the road and then turn left on the corner of Italian restaurant. Then the Hotel is on the view. Moreover, there are many restaurants, convenient stores and department store, named atre, nearby. Many restaurants are in "tabeblog" list.

Hotel's wifi is also very excellent.

The room is small as normal in Japan. We stayed in non-smoking room with twin bed.
For 4 nights we stayed there I would only complain about the toilet. The automatic system did not work. I told the staff. They said it was fixed, however, still did not work.
P.S For those who don't like hard pillow may not enjoy sleeping there.

Date of stay: November 2014