All reviewstea ceremonyjapanese style roomjapanese breakfastquiet neighborhooduguisudani stationevery morningfree teajapanese gardenpublic bathminute walkryokan experiencewestern roomwonderful ryokantatami matsconvenience storefluent englishsmall tv
Reviewed 16 May 2018

Traditional ryokan with wonderful staff; especially glen, toshio, loni and so many others. Nothing was too much trouble . Great breakfast . Nice quite location with some nice restaurants . Fantastic local Onsens nearby. Subway close. Very good family feeling in the place. Not so expensive. Staff will give much local advice. Tatami bedroom with excellent modern compact bathroom.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arwin M
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

Yoko and the team at The Edo Sakura could not have been more welcoming or given a friendlier, more personal service.
We wanted to try somewhere different for the start of our second visit to Japan and booked in for two nights.
We arrived early but the team welcomed us, checked how the cleaners were getting on with our room, and chatted to us, explaining the facilities etc for the duration of the short wait.
We were then shown to our room, which felt larger than we were used to in Japan, probably because of the traditional style: two seats on the floor with a small table, and futons for sleeping on.
Once everything was explained, we settled in before heading out and using the Edo Sakura as our base.
On the final morning, we enjoyed a lovely salmon breakfast - gochisoosamadeshita - and then had our own (free) tea ceremony, led by the very knowledgeable Mie.
Yoko booked us a taxi to Ueno station and we were seen off by the team.
The location was great. It is within easy walking distance of two stations (Irya is the nearest) and not too far to walk to Ueno (when you don’t have all of your luggage). Ueno Station is also just a short ride from Tokyo Station, while you can also get direct trains to many places (we went to Sendai for the day).
All in all, we couldn’t fault The Edo Sakura and will return.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Set in a quiet residential area, Edo Sakura is an excellent place to stay while visiting Tokyo. We booked one of the tatami rooms and took advantage of the free tea ceremony at the hotel - a very good way to experience more of the Japanese culture. Very clean rooms and facilities, and excellent and friendly staff. There is a good grocery store within walking distance if you want to buy some interesting Japanese snacks. The Asian breakfast is highly recommended - tasty and filling, at a very reasonable price. We would love to return to Edo Sakura some day.

Stayed: March 2018
2  Thank lovegoodcoffee
Reviewed 18 March 2018

This was a great experience to have while visiting Tokyo. If you get the Japanese-style room, you sleep on a futon on a tatami mat, but you still have a private, modern bathroom. The room and bathroom are compact, but that's common in Tokyo. We also enjoyed the Japanese breakfast, tea ceremony and private time in the hotel's bath. It's in a quiet block but near a train station and walking distance from museums and other sites in Ueno. The staff was friendly, gave us a comprehensive orientation, and easy to communicate with.

Room Tip: Japanese-style rooms are cooler
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 538derekc
Reviewed 30 January 2018

I have so much praise for the Edo Sakura, I hardly know where to start.

After a LONG day of flying, and dealing with lost luggage, I dragged myself into the Edo sakura.
There I was met by Sae, the sweetest idividual a hotel could have. She immediately sensed my stress, brought me tea and sat with me for a while.
She showed me to my room and explained staying at Ryokan - a traditional Japanese Guesthouse. MANY awesome features.

A few days passed before my luggage was delivered, but I was looked after by the positively ELECTRIC Yoko. Her positive attitude was very welcome.

Toshi was always around to answer questions. He was never without his charming smile. Upon my departure, he came over to wish me safe travels.

Jill, from reservations, took time out from her extremely busy schedule to offer guidance on my explorations. Where to go. What to see, you name it. She was VERY helpful in explaining many Japanese customs.

Jerome, a very nice frenchman, took time to tell me what working in a foreign culture is like. Always smiling and polite.

Chihiro's online assistance with planning another visit was invaluable!

Something that really impressed me was the ability of every staff member to assist me, regardless of the request. Not once was I told "I'll go get someone to help you."

I'm, by no means, proficient in the Japanese language, but EVERY staff member I encountered was always cheerfully ready and willing to help me with my attempts.

Now about the hotel itself: It is PRISTINE. Beautiful, fresh flowers in the lobby daily. A gorgeous set of Samurai Warrior armor is on display. MANY maps in many languages are available in a small sitting area just inside the front entrance. A cozy place to read, make travel plans or just sip some tea.

Although 'Western' rooms are available, I chose a 'traditional'. When staying in a Ryokan, the guest gets to experience what I can only describe as 'real life'. I learned how to set up a traditional futon. Yukata (a casual kimono) and house slippers were provided and changed out daily. Guests are encouraged to wear these while in the hotel. you can even purchase the Yukata if you like!
The tatami mats in my room were swept daily, and the wooden entryway was washed by hand. Amazing tea was restocked daily.

I felt so welcome and so cared for at the Edo Sakura that I booked a second stay; before I'd even checked out.

Unless my travels require me to stay too far away, I will ALWAYS go back to the Edo Sakura.

*Extra: I arrived so late at night, I took a taxi to the Edo. I could have walked from the Keisei Ueno station. If you have a lot of luggage, I'd suggest a taxi.
I'm an absolute Anime/Manga junkie. Trains are available to get you to Akibahara (Otaku MECCA), but it's only a 40 minute walk from the Edo.
Nakamise shopping area is only about 20 minutes. EVERYTHING you could want is there.
Food is AWESOME, no matter WHERE you go!

Room Tip: Book a traditional Japanese room. A GREAT experience.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo