Book In Advance

from USD 133.70
from USD 27.30
from USD 21.50
More Info
All reviews cat lovers love cats asakusa station shrine souvenirs tokyo
Reviewed 11 September 2016 via mobile

Today I felt like avoiding the crowds and check out a few shrines/temples within walking distance from the hotel. I saw a few pics of Maneki Neko, Lucky Cat and thought it was for luck with fortune. Sure I could use some luck.

Imado Shrine is 10 min walk from Asakusa Station and Sosenji Temple. From the station take the scenic route through Sumida park along the waterfront. Nice views of Skytree. The shrine is small compared to others but does catch your eye. You'll notice all the Maneki Neko all over the place. They are in sets of two. Pictures, statues, sculptures, vases decorated everywhere. Took a few pics and some souvenirs.

I told my co-worker/translator about my weekend visiting random shrines. I mention Imado shrine and she giggles and tells me single women go there to find love and romance. No romance hunting for me. Just checking out cool stuff around and being a tourist.

1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 27 November 2015

located in asakusa, walking down sumida river shore, dedicated to a holy imado cat, cat souvenirs and symbols are everywhere. shrine for the couples to pray for good luck or single ones to find love.

1  Thank Yazmina R
Reviewed 18 April 2015

This is supposed to be the origin of the beckoning cat. As a cat lover, I had expected to see a lot of cats roaming at this shrine. I was very disappointed that I could only find one big fat white cat here, who is not really human friendly. On the other hand, the shrine itself is quite nice. Quite a few beckoning cats are placed around and inside the shrine. It's very peaceful, and it's just a short walk from the Sensoji. For tourists who stay in the Asakusa area, this shrine is not a bad choice for you to come to visit.

2  Thank thetankengine
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I enjoyed visiting Imado Shrine a lot. The Shrine is small but has lots of cute things to see.

It is a bit of a walk from Senso-ji and the main area people visit in Asakusa. I was staying in Asakusa for 4 days so I had plenty of time to walk around in the morning and evenings so it worked out well for me but if you have limited time in Asakusa I think it can be skipped considering the time investment to get there.

If you really love cats this is a good place to visit. You may also want to go to Gotokuji as well but that is an even more lengthy adventure.

2  Thank K_Chan40
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My family are mad cat-lovers, so this was high on my list of things to see. I liked the many cat statues and images, and took lots of photos to share with the family. I also bought good luck charms with cat images on them.

I did find the grounds around the shrine slightly untidy, and this detracted from its appearance. It's a smaller shrine and, although popular with young Japanese women (maybe because of the romantic connection?), it's a fairly niche attraction for those from outside Japan.

I was staying in the area and doing something different appealed to me, so I'm pleased I went, although it was a fairly average experience.