“Jazz at the New York Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Park Hyatt Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 81 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
London, United Kingdom
“Jazz at the New York Bar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Call me crazy but with only two days in Tokyo, one if the places I had to visit was the top of the Park Hyatt to see the incredible views and to be where one of my favorite movies, "Lost In Translation", was filmed. After getting lost on the subway, and getting more lost wandering around Shinjuku, I met some nice people that walked me to the Hyatt since I had no idea where I was going.

I was greeted by extremely friendly and helpful staff that took me up to the 52nd floor. What had been a few rain drops earlier had turned into a full blown blizzard so I did't get to enjoy the view, but to my surprise, there was a wonderful jazz band playing. With a few martinis and excellent service, it was a nice, relaxing way to spend my last night in Tokyo.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Naamah77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

We had read some of the negative reviews and were a little apprehensive, especially being that we are of an ethnic minority group.

We should not have worried. This has been a wonderful stay.

To start with, they greeted us in the lobby (the bell hop had asked our name as we got out of the cab). Because we were platinum ( just reached this level with Hyatt so not sure what is usual) we were told we did not have to go to the desk to check in. The greeter personally walked us to the room to see if we were satisfied or would want to switch. We had been upgraded to a full Mount Fugi view. The luggage was brought up byanother bell hop.

The room was Clean, Clean Clean. There was nothing old looking or worn. The style was Japanese elegance, that muted minimalist style for which they are well known. The colors were earth tone.

The bed was the typical Asian thick but firm mattress, wonderful for us (both with problem backs) but others might like a softer mattress.

The bathroom was lovely, one of the favorite hotel bathrooms we have been in. The shower was wonderful. It was a two head shower (one high and one low). You could precisely set your water temperature with instant results. The water force was strong. The shower was big enough that our hefty bodies did not hit up against the walls as we showered.

The bathtub was a very clean, large soaking tub, You could soak and watch the in bathroom TV or read a good book. Bath salts were provided.

The closet area was large, ample for all our luggage and could be closed off.

The food while expensive (as always in these type of hotels) was well presented, ample in amount and delicious.

We have no complaints except we wish we could have stay longer. We were truly pampered.

Oh, the staff treated us very nicely and looked out for our every comfort and need-Japanese style. No, they were not effusive Americans but yes they were Japanese who aimed to please and did so.

We have been in many hotels in the US and around the world- we highly recommend this hotel, no reservations at all.

Room Tip: 4916- great room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank SJNMom
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at Park Hyatt Tokyo during our trip to Japan earlier this year. Despite being expensive, we feel the stay there was worth every cent - from service to amenities, everything was top notch.

We were a bit disappointed though that it was hard to find the hotel's shuttle service from Shinjuku station given the relative prominence of that for Hyatt Regency from the same station.

Room Tip: Request for a high-floor room with a view of Mt. Fuji.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ecclesiastes
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

This for me is perhaps the best hotel in Asia so far. Service level here is exceptional. You would expect nothing less especially when in Japan so kudos to the team at the Park Hyatt.

I was here for 3 nights in January for work. The rooms and facilities are amazing. Very spacious and comfortable. The bedding and decor is plush and luxurious.

Try the Japanese restaurant here - it is amazing. Has great views too as the restaurant is on the 40th floor of the building. The bar too for that matter which sits on the 50th floor.

The hotel is a 10-15min walk to the main Shinjuku area so it is a short walk away to the train station.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank YewMing
Belgrade, Serbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Let me start this review by saying that I am loyal guest (and a holder of Diamond GP status) of Hyatt hotels for the past 16 years, during which I had an opportunity and pleasure to visit numereous Park type properties (among the others also in Moscow, Milano, Zurich, Dubai, Beijing, Melbourne..).

At the time of booking of my Tokyo stay, I was choosing in between Grand and Park Hyatt. Eventually, Park Hyatt Tokyo was the first one to be able to confirm me Suite upgrade (using GP points), which in combination with my positive expirience in other Park Hyatt properties as well as very positive reviews on TripAdvisor was more than enough to push me in direction of paying rather expensive room in Park Hyatt.

Pro's for staying at Park Hyatt:
- professional staff
- professional staff
- have I already mentioned professional and impeccably trained staff?
- all facilities that one would resonably expect out of 500USD-per-night-for-the-cheapest-room -property
- views over Tokio from reception, restauraunts, spa, rooms..
- decent location (10 minutes by foot away from Narita Express train station and decently connected with other parts of Tokyo)

Con's
- hotel and all facilities are requesting a complete makeup if the Management intends to maintain leadership position in Tokyo upscale hotel market (which they, once again, very much deserve); my mark went down from excellent to average mainly due to fact that at each and every footstep it is rather visible that the place has been seeing its better days (be it a couple of stains on carpet in lobby/guest rooms floors, restauraunts, worn out tables at the reception, sauna that was out of order in a Spa, old fashioned cord phones at the reception and in the rooms, luck of bed side sockets in the rooms (which, btw, is just another mark of the period when this place was renovated for the last time - i doubt than, starting as of the beginning of 2000's and expansion of mobile phones (and other appliances that we so often recharge during the night) any architect would omit this detail..)
- going in the same direction as a previous line is also having an old fashioned key (instad of a key card) being handed over at check in - this is not necessary negative, of course (even has a nice retro dimension) but is still a bit rare to be seein in 2012..
- strange location of a reception desk - after leaving elevator, one needs to pass thru 2 restauraunts, library and a long hall in order to reach receptionist/concirege

I have used my stay in Tokyo to visit also Grand Hyatt and all of its facilites. Later one has much "younger" rooms and other facilities, however they (rooms) are in average smaller; location is much more acceptable for families with kids (many entertainment options next door)-..

Instead of conclusion - Park Hyatt is definitely still one of the best overall options in Tokyo, while Grand Hyatt is for (as already mentioned) families with kids. Should you be here (I am writing this while still being a guest at Park Hyatt Tokio) for a short business trip, Park Hyatt is definitely a place to be.

Room Tip: If a Diamond or a reguar GP member with sufficient points on account, pls do use opportunity to upgr...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank MilosMilenkovic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shinjuku
Hilton Tokyo
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
#5 of 81 in Shinjuku
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,160 reviews

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!