“Not memorable”

Price range: USD 7 - USD 9
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku
Reviewed 4 September 2016

Ducked into this ramen joint because it was raining and my friend and I didn't want to travel too far anymore. The place had a couple of salarymen eating and it was a quiet, somewhat dingy place. The ramen (I forget which particular type I had) was alright, nothing too remarkable.

Reviewed 2 June 2016

This was our 2nd ramen that we had in Japan. The first was the famous Ichiran and we found Keika as we were looking for something to eat late at night when we were in the area. The place was reasonably busy during the late hours that we thought, well, this can't be bad! ahahha.

The waitress spoke chinese and very very little english. She gave us an english menu which was helpful and directed us to order at the vending machine by the door. The machine takes only 1,000 yen bill but the waitress would be gladly to change your money for you to use the machine to order (and pay).

The food came out FAST! A big bowl of ramen, looked good... unfortunately, I thought it looked better than it tasted... The soup was just "salty" and very one dimentional. It's lacking that Japanese "UMAMI" (combo, explosion of flavors). As I still remembered how I was very very impressed by Ichiran for the ramen (and I'm not a ramen lover usually), Keika ramen fell flat. The only good thing was that Keika ramen didn't seem to use a lot of MSG, unlike Ichiran.

The pork belly that came with my ramen was very good, though, and it has that "umami" flavor..and they are right about putting the fresh cabbage and it added sweetness and freshness to the ramen.

Unfortunately, this ramen is only so so and comparable to the ones in the US (not that great!), Ichiran won, sorry!

Reviewed 29 November 2015 via mobile

I saw several good reviews but as a ramen lover, I cannot rate this ramen shop with high score. I will give Ichilan higher score than this one.

Reviewed 9 August 2015 via mobile

Thick soup and the ramen characterized by hard noodles which came over to Tokyo from Kumamoto.
It is the well-established ramen shop which is open in Shinjuku for more than 30 years.
The special menu which a roasted pork fillet in particular and cabbage were in is a special menu of this shop.
You must try this, too.

1  Thank carlosk582
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 19 June 2009

one of the best Kyusyu ramen in tokyo

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Keika? Share your experiences!