“Good value”

Mitsui Garden Hotel Yotsuya
Ranked #23 of 84 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Finding an inexpensive hotel in Tokyo can be tricky, however this hotel was great value for money and a lot more boutique in style than we were expecting. It was lovely, clean, the food was good and the complimentary toiletries were fantastic. It was also really quiet even though it is on a main road.

The location is great too - you are very close to everything, whilst having the benenfit of being out of the really expensive accomodation zones such as Shibuya.

Yes the rooms are small, but that is typically Japanese. The train station is only a couple of minutes walk away, however I would recommend that any traveller read up about the Tokyo subway system prior to travel as it can get a bit confusing as there are sevel train lines operated by different organisations meaning you need 2 separate rail maps to get around!

I would definitely stay here again, and would hope the other Garden Hotels in the chain are of a similar quality.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 December 2011

The Mitsui Garden Hotel Yotsuya is part of Mitsui Garden hotels with facilities across Japan (5 in Tokyo). I stayed at this hotel in November 2011 and was very satisfied. Location is a key strenght of this hotel but let me explain you clearly this. If visiting Tokyo for the first time, you certainly might consider staying in one of the various "centers" of Tokyo, for example Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ginza, Ikebukuro. You would have the advantage of returning to your neighborough to explore during the evening/night and not care about metro/trains stopping service after midnight. However, if you are not a "night explorer" like me, and you prefer easy reach, then the location of Mitsui Garden in Yotsuya is excellent. In fact, the hotel is just five minutes from the Yotsuya station, a mid size train hub with two of the most important JR lines (Chuo and Sobu line) and two Tokyo Metro subway lines (Marunouchi and Nanboku lines) which basically mean you are on two of the widest reaching urban transport systems in Tokyo. I found that when staying at this hotel I could easily reach any area in a relatively short time. OK, in Tokyo you never have issues with metro/train transportation. But here it is even better. I could choose between Ginza and Shinjuku and it would take no more than 10-15 min. Shinjuku is 5 min on the Chuo (Express) just one stop. Ginza easily reachable directly by Maronouchi (10-15 min). Different options to get to Shibuya either changing at Yoyogi on Sobu line or by a combination of Tokyo metro lines. Akihabara 10-15 min Chuo line and then change to Sobu at Ochanomizu. In short, Yotsuya is quite central, closest to Shinjuku but within the Yamanote loop so also east side of the city are within easy reach. The hotel per se is very nice and modern. A clarification needed. This is not in Shinjuku and be aware in Japan check in time is mandatorily after 3pm. Rooms are small but compared to Japanese business hotels I have been several other times, these are larger, clean, modern with LCD HD TV (only english channel BBC World however), nice shower (my room was a "comfort room"), mini fridge, slippers, yukata. The hotel is on Shinjuku dori, which despite its 6 or so lanes I found astonishingly quiet especially in the evening. My room was on the back street, and despite some works in progress on the road a couple of nights, was very quiet. The hotel seems new, reception staff very courteous and helpful. My room price did not include breakfast, but I found convenient having breakfast at the hotel restaurant "Pizza Salvatore Cuomo" for 1000 yen. Breakfast was quite good with a western buffet choice (including croissants, ham, yogurt etc) and a nice choice of fruit, vegetables. Other options for breakfast include Doutour just 1 min walk and other nearby eateries including Yoshinoya, KFC. Different convenience stores (Family Mart). I enjoyed the Yotsuya neighbourough when returning in the evening from the more bustling areas of Tokyo, landing in a quieter area was nice and helping to wind down before sleep. Just behind the hotel there is a small street full of small restaurants/izakayas, just parallel to Shinjuku dori, which I found very nice.
One last plus, coming and leaving Tokyo by train (I used NEX), I did not have to do a single staircase with my luggage!: escalators at Tokyo station, escalator at Yotsuya and walk out on slightly climbing path out of the station, pedestrian xing and then 5 min pavement walk and was at the hotel.
Overall, highly recommended convenient and affordable hotel perfect for the expert Tokyo explorer not having to stay mandatorily in one neighbourough and willing to have a central hub from where reach to the different Tokyo areas.

Room Tip: Back alley room: no view (unless you like quiet Tokyo street with shops, I did) Shinjuku dori facin...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
17  Thank Meteoman
Reviewed 20 December 2011

This hotel was close to the subway/JR station to get to anywhere you wanted to in tokyo. Room was very small but clean as expected in Japan. Tons of eateries nearby so you will not go hungry. The internet connection was fast. Be aware that the hotel front desk speaks very little to moderate english depending on who you get.

Room Tip: Do not get one of the lower floors as it will be very noisy.
Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I really could not give enough rave to this place. It's clean, modern, affordable, roomy by Tokyo standards and the staff was beyond friendly and went out of their way to help my group of non-Japanese speaker friends (which I am infinitely thank for as I understand it is rude for you to not attempt Japanese / assume everyone can understand and speak English). Yes pretty much all the staff is able to understand English and there is always at least one person at the front desk who can speak it pretty darn well. The location is fantastic (on the quieter side of Shinjuku, yes, there is such a thing) and the JR Yotsuya station is only about a 5 minute walk straight down the street. There are also a couple of convenience shops across the street which I totally dig as I stayed for a week (how I terribly miss the late night snack and drinks runs). In addition, as a person with a bad back and a cleanliness OCD... I slept like a baby here so that should say a lot in itself. The pizza shop attached to the hotel is also more legit than most pizza place in the whole Washington DC metro area... which is really not saying much but !!!

Now before I go, if you have gotten to this point in my review, I only ask that if you are planning on staying at this hotel, please please please bring your best manners. I love this place so much that this is the best thanks I can give back to them. During my stay I noticed that they are popular with English speaking tourists for obvious reasons but I witnessed daily just how extremely rude the front desk was treated by American English speaking visitors. Even though I feel most of the frustration stems from general culture shock, unfamiliarity and language barrier issues, it is still inexcusable to take it out on the first Japanese person who can understand what you are saying. I felt like I saw inappropriate behavior more so here than any other place I have stayed in Japan because all my other hotels/ryokans spoke little or no English and thus their customer base had very little foreigners. The people running this place was by far the most professional, friendly and helpful people I have even met. I bring this up because first and foremost I felt ashamed for my country and secondly, Japan is by far the best mannered country I have ever been to and even then the guest services at Mistsui Garden Hotel are exceptional.

I digressed, I didn't for this review to be my soap box. This is a sweet place to stay. Don't expect 5 diamond casino/spa/resort amenities but the service is just as good. For a very wallet-easy price at that too.

Room Tip: The double bed rooms are fantastic! Much more "moving around / walk-able" room than the si...
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank recompose
Reviewed 22 November 2011

A cracking hotel, hard to fault.

Pros:
Very clean
Seems very new, all fixtures and fittings are pristine
Staff are friendly and accomodating
Excellent Pizza restaurant on the ground floor
Right beside a back street with lots of little local food places and bars/izakayas
A few minutes walk from the metro and JR lines
Superb Price
Free LAN internet in rooms

Cons
Airconditioning seems to be switched off in November. This would be fine normally but it was a freakishly hot week and my room was roasting. The only function the aircon had was to let in outside air in order to cool the room down but this wasn't much help.
Staff english may be limited but plenty to get by on.
No wireless internet
Rooms are small but all are in Tokyo

Room Tip: If it's hot ask for a room facing the rear of the hotel, not the front where the sun comes in th...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business