“very central location”

Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed 2 February 2012

We stayed at this business hotel for a leisure trip to Tokyo. It is conveniently located in Shibuya, next to Shibuya Station, so you can take the Narita Express all the way into Shibuya Station and then walk to the hotel if you wish. If not, it is less than 5min by taxi.

The hotel itself is comfortable and well maintained. We opted for one of the up-graded rooms with a king bed, which had a lovely view over tokyo. The bathroom was large and well-appointed, with a large shower and bath.

The reason why I gave this hotel a 3* and not a 4* was because of the lack of certain amenities you would expect in a hotel of its class as well as the inability of the staff to give accurate directions. This is in comparison to other hotels we have stayed at in Tokyo.

There is no complimentary WI-FI for hotel guests, even in the lobby / reception areas. This is also the first hotel I have ever stayed in that does not provide complimentary tea/coffee in the rooms. It is available, but please do be aware that a teabag is charged at about 400 yen / US$ 5. I thought that was rather bold of them considering the room rates they charge. Also, although the hotel has a pool and gym facilities, it is not complimentary for all hotel guests - only those on the executive floors, otherwise, there is a fee.

The biggest let down for us was the inability for the staff to provide accurate directions to restaurants etc. The address system in Tokyo is notoriously difficult so we can understand small inaccuracies. However, they were not able to accurately direct us to the New South Entrance of the Shibuya Station, which is about 150m from the hotel. This entrance provides direct access to the platform for the Narita Express train. They conveniently omited to tell us that this entrance exist, instead tried to send us on a round-about route through the main station, even though it is clearly marked out on the map of the station they provided us. When asked about this entrance, they recommended that we take a 5 min US$10 taxi ride to the station. Anyway, we did not have much luggage, so we took a chance and seached for the entrance ourselves. For those interested, you go up the staires on your right just as you pass under the train tracks straight up from the hotel, and it is 50m down the road there. It is incomprehensible that the hotel is not able to provide directions for such an easy route to a station that I am sure 80% of their hotel guests would use.

Our main impression is that the Cerulean is mainly interested in business clientele and not the leisure traveller, which is a pity, as it's great location would suit both.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Beanui

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Sometimes when we make a choice to splash out on luxury we come away feeling a little disappointed by the way the staff looks down it's collective nose at you once they realise it's a once in a lifetime treat and in their eyes you don't really belong there!

Not so the Cerulean Tower Hotel in Tokyo, there everyone is treated as if they were the most important person in the world and the courtesy and good manners with which every member of staff carries out their duties is second to none. From the moment you enter the large reception area and are greeted by liveried Bell Boys and Girls who whisk your luggage away to your room and the reception staff who bow as you approach the desk, you realise you have entered the world of Japanese service which is unrivalled anywhere else in the world. The rooms are all modern with large bathrooms, each having both a bath and double shower cubicle, the bed linen is thick and ironed until it's as smooth as glass and the rooms are kept spotlessly clean.
The food at breakfast is incredible with traditional English beakfast competing with Japanese specialities and also fresh croisant and other French pastries. For the healthier resident there is also an abundance of fresh fruit and freshly squeezed juices.
The hotel has a large gym area with a good selection of machines to use as well as a good sized swimming pool, all on the 3rd floor.
Shibuya, where the hotel is sited, is a bustling area with lot's of shops and bars playing cool jazz whilst serving steaming bowls of Udon noodles, it's a young hip area and a great place to start your holiday in Japan. I recommend it as i know you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: 27th floor, great views over Tokyo
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank OffThePiste
Reviewed 17 January 2012

This was my second visit to Tokyo, but my first time staying at the Cerulean hotel. I was given a room on the 30th floor and my first impression was wow, what a view!! Then when I got over the excitement of having such a great view, I noticed how good the actual room was. I was staying on my own and did not ask for a twin room, but was given one. The room was exceptionally big, with 2 king size single beds, writing desk, and arm chair. The bathroom was massive! Full size bath, and seperate shower. I did not eat at the hotel, but as others have said, there are many eateries in the immediate area.

The airconditioning in this hotel would have to be the most efficient and quietest I have ever encountered in any hotel.

The hotel is approximately 100 mts from Shibuya station, but I must admit the first night I did get lost trying to find the hotel from the station. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel. But it does not come cheap.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Great location, The airport bus stops right downstairs, which is great if you have heaps of luggage & don't want to drag it through the streets of Japan. Metro & JR a few mins away, great zone for some nightlife too & guitar shopping, if you are into that sort of thing.
Very friendly service, but i wouldn't expect any less in Japan.
Had room on 28th floor with sweeping views of Tokyo, I mean serioulsy, what more can you ask for??

Room Tip: as for rooms with Fuji views, if you are lucky & sky is clear you can't beat it!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jetset_KT
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We booked the hotel in advance and therefore we had a bargain to get a room at this hotel. The location is perfect - few minutes walk from Shibuya station so you can get around pretty much everywhere.
The room was also nice - I felt it had more the Japanese touch in a western set up. The room was clean and the staffs there were very very helpful. One other thing which I would recommend the guest to do, is to write the hotel in advance and request for which view you would like to see from the hotel. We have chosen the Mount Fuji view which was just magnificient to see. We woke up every morning and find Mount Fuji straight in front of us from our bed, and that was such a beautiful experience.
The only thing which I would mention is the bed. The matress was just too too hard for me that I woke up with a pain in my back. That's the only reason (but could be the biggest I'm afraid) I stayed away from this hotel when I returned to Tokyo a few days later.
For those who like the hard matresses - this could be your hotel, as the rest is just all perfect.

Room Tip: Write to the hotel so you can select the view you want!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
#4 of 83 in Shinjuku
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
Keio Plaza Hotel Tokyo
#7 of 83 in Shinjuku

Been to Cerulean Tower Tokyu Hotel? Share your experiences!