3,424 results
All reviewsthe executive loungebay viewrubber duckfish markethamarikyu gardensglass walldiamond memberturn down servicefloor to ceiling windowswalking distanceshiodome stationlobby barbeautiful hotelfavorite hotelfour seasonspark hyattimpeccable service
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I love this hotel. It has one of the best views of Tokyo Bay in the city. The architecture and design are stunning. Even the food in all but the Gordon Ramsey restaurant is perfect. Gordon's leaves something to be desired.

The rooms are more expensive, but a bargain compared to the other six star luxury hotels. Even the location above the subway stations makes traveling to meetings and dinners easy.

I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank hk_me
Reviewed 14 July 2008

Recently my son and I stayed in the Conrad Tokyo for the first two days of a two-week pleasure trip to Japan. (Note: I used Hilton points, otherwise I never could have afforded it.)
This is a wonderful hotel. Everything was great: service, room, location, decor, ammenities, food. A fabulous continental breakfast was delivered free because I am a Hilton gold member. We did not eat in any hotel restaurant, but meals are pricey, like most other Japanese restaurants. We also got upgraded to a "bay-view" room. The view of the bay, and adjacent garden, was spectacular. Decor is modern/minimalist. Beds were very comfortable. Location is atop a subway station and shopping area. We walked to Kibuki theatre. Hotel arranged for English language bus tour of Tokyo which was a good jumping off point for our trip.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank Grayson_GaBraves_fan
Reviewed 11 July 2008

We booked this hotel with frequent stay points for five nights. The hotel is luxurious and was mostly very enjoyable, but note a few issues below.

We had room 3234 (king bed) which had the city view of other large skyscarpers, and not much beyond. I think the odd-numbered rooms have the great views of the harbor and park below, which is the nicer view. With points, I didn't want to argue, but my husband is a silver platinum Hilton member, so we hoped for better. This status at least got us free use of the pool, where there is normally a surcharge (as with many business class-and-better hotels in Japan.) There was also a relatively small discount at the hotel's restaurants, small given the expense of a typical (but very good) dinner.

First the good stuff: The room was very quiet, but all of them probably are at this height. The heat and AC controls worked quietly and well.

The rooms are very spacious with good storage in the closet and drawers. Very comfortable beds and lots of pillows, and there is an additional pillow menu. Essentially, there was a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows with a wall-to-wall banquette that was great for relaxing. Spotless housekeeping and evening turn-down service. Good-size flat screen TV and wireless internet connection ($15 surcharge, which I always find annoying if htels charge these prices.) Modern, Asian-inspired decor in neutral tones. Complimentary in-room tea and press coffee service. There is also a table-top ironing board and iron, which was the only time I found this amenity in my 20-or-so days in Japan at business class hotels. Other amenities are what you expect at this level: complimentary water bottles, a small box of chocolates, etc.

There are all kinds of technology in the room to close blinds and curtains, turn on nightlights in the bathroom, etc. However, the set-up for internet connection could be better as this required sitting at a round table, and the chair heights and wall connections are not the easiest.

The bathroom was also very spacious, with separate walk-in shower and deep bathtub. A nice range of toiletries custom-blended by Sheseido for the hotel: shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel, although the moisturizer is a watery formula that is messy to try to apply (should be re-worked.) All the other bath amenities are also here for this class of hotel, i.e. toothbrush, razor, etc.

Some irksome things: The bathroom is separated from the bedroom by a glass wall. While this makes the bathroom nice and light-filled during the day, the slatted blind that hides the bathroom does not block the bathroom light well. This meant that when I woke up earlier in the morning than my husband, I could not turn on the bathroom light without throwing a lot of light into the bedroom, and waking him up. (The blackout curtains on the outside windows work VERY well.) This meant that other than washing up by nightlight, I could not do much if I was going to be courteous to my husband.

Also irksome and bizarre: the clock in the bedroom ticked very loudly. We moved it to the bathroom. Considering all the quiet, digital clocks I've seen in hotel rooms, WHY was this here? Did no one from management ever spend the night in this hotel room?

I am also losing patience with the global trend toward heavy duvets where you have to really crank up the air-conditioning to be comfortable at night. I know the many reasons for this change, but we always ask for lighter blankets (which all the hotels have, but insist on putting the big fluffy things on first.) Since most in this style do not have additional single top sheets, it's the only way to survive without super-cooling the room to traditional Alpine termperatures.

The free-access computers in the lobby are atrocious: the slowest I have experienced in a very long time (and remember: I had just traveled through Japan and stayed at hotels like the Nikko and Granvia, and their connections were excellent.) And again, there is that pesky internet connection charge in the room ($15 for 24 hours -- nominal, but stills feels like nickel-and-diming. The Nikko and Granvia in various locations have free in-room internet connections.)

Even more bizarre: the concierges had to share these lounge computer printers with the guests -- they did not have their own available!! This meant that if they wanted to print something out for you, they had to wait for a computer to be free, and you were competing with them for computer time!!!

The concierges were excellent, especially Daniel (I think) from Australia. The problem as that concierges were often not on duty, (or at the computer printer?) For example, the concierge did not come on duty until 10:30 on Sunday, and I often did not see anyone at the desk later in the evening. In a pinch, we relied on the check-in desk people, and they were helpful, but not of the same caliber of a good concierge. For example, when we had a question one night, we were given some information by the check-in staff when the concierge was not around. When we asked the same question of the concierge the next day, we got much better information, a brochure we had asked for (but the desk people could not find,) etc. At a Conrad, I expect real concierges who are more readily available.

Also: ask specifically for the brochure from the Tokyo tourism board that should double-page information for each Tokyo neighborhood. Unlike the service I expect from other hotels, many of the staff only respond to specific questions, and operate on a need-to-know basis. Again, Daniel was the exception in trying to think about our larger travel needs.

The restaurants and lounges in the hotel are quite expensive, but what can one expect when there is an on-site Gordon Ramsey restaurant, and the Chinese restaurant is Michelin rated? Drinks in the lounge are expensive, but they come with a spectacular view of the harbor that is also popular with the locals, so it is hard to compare this to grabbing a drink at a hole-in-the-wall. There is often a singer and accompaniest in the evening. However, this also makes it hard to sit anywhere in the evening that doesn't require the purchase of a drink, other than a bench by the check-in desk.

We only dined at the Chinese restaurant, China Blue - expensive, but very good food, in a handsome room, and with "the view."

The hotel sits in a complex of offices and a subway station, with another subway station nearby. We went to the various coffee shops in this complex for breakfast (Starbuck's, Vie the France, etc.) There are also a number of casual restaurants here that service the workforce in the office buidlings, even in the evening. There are also a variety of convenience stores, bookstores, Mister Minute shoe repair in teh subway station, etc.

The underground subway complexes can be confusing, but we got the hang of how to guide to our destination by focusing on the name of the building complex near the Conrad. If you want to walk to the Ginza (hardly 10 minutes,) it is probably less confusing to use the above-ground walkway. Ask Daniel.

We found the subway the easiest way to get around for most trips, especially during the day when traffic gets congested. The famous fish market is only one stop away on the subway line nearest the hotel, and other notable stops -- the Mitsukoshi department store, like Tokyo's Harrods, has its own station. The other nearby subway lines were handy for other reasons and sightseeing.

Finally, the service throughout the hotel was generally quite good and efficient, and very courteous.

So: this was overall an enjoyable stay, but it is worth checking other locations and hotels, given the price of this hotel and some of the things that could be improved.

Sooner I or later I will also post hotel reviews for other parts of our trip -- mostly Nikko and Granvia hotels.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mme_X
Reviewed 4 July 2008

The Conrad Tokyo is a gorgeous, high-end hotel perfect for business travelers. The hotel is located on the top floors of a buildling (e.g. the check-in for the hotel is located on the 28th Floor). The elevator going up to the check-in is almost silent and you barely notice you are moving.

The decor of the Conrad Tokyo is thoughtful, tasteful, and modern. The room that we stayed in had a glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. There were blinds that could be moved with an electric switch on the wall to move them up and down or to open and close them. Since the hotel is on the top of the buiding, the views from the rooms and lobby showcase downtown Tokyo.

There is a gym and spa on the 29th floor. One of the highlights is the millenium pool, which is a very long pool perfect for lap swimming. It is extremely luxurious to get that much space for swimming on the top floor of a downtown building in Tokyo. The pool is surrounded with tall glass windows, so you can enjoy the views while casually swimming/enjoying the water.

While the traffic was chaotic and confusing to me, we managed to walk to the Tsujiki Fish Market from the hotel. It is about 10 minutes away and the hotel staff assisted us with our route.

We also walked to the beautiful Hamarikyu gardens that are very close to the hotel.

There is a building right next door to the Conrad Tokyo that has a small supermarket, a Starbucks, and a few other stores. It is located within the same circular driveway and the stores are in the basement. They are not advertised clearly and there are no signs indicating that they are there.

When you check-in, they will have you sit and wait on a bench until somebody is ready for you. I was not accustomed to this process as a Westerner, but they are very polite. I found the staff addressed hotel guests immediately and with a high level of professionalism.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kimmiechong3151
Reviewed 30 June 2008

Located in the upper floors of a tower, the Conrad Tokyo offers spectacular views of Tokyo. I burned Hilton points for a four night stay here and was offered an upgrade to a garden view for an extra US$50 a night at check-in. In hindsight, I'm annoyed that I forked over the extra money for the identical room and, questionably, a better view. We should have been able to get this room regardless. It's a pet peeve when the front desk goes looking for extra cash when I'm taking a reward night.

Otherwise the staff gets high marks for being very helpful and very efficient. Rooms are large and well appointed. Location is good, but I wouldn't say great. The hotel is tough to find if you come in via the metro. And although there is a metro line right in front of the hotel, it's not the one you use to get to most sights, so you end up walking to another line anyway.

Stayed: June 2008