“Astonishingly good.”

Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 96 Hotels / Ryokan in Chuo
Reviewed 13 June 2008

Having chosen to walk from the Japanrail station to the hotel, we weren't entirely sure we'd found the Mandarin Oriental, until we rounded a corner and saw the sign. Walking towards the doors of the hotel, a porter rushed towards us and took our cases, while another member of staff greeted us. As we walked, he asked my surname, and without looking at any notes, confirmed my first name. I know it's a small thing, but it immediately makes you feel like they're making an effort. We were escorted to the lift, and up to the reception/lobby floor. The porter had obviously called up to reception when we went to the lifts, because when we arrived in the lobby, they had my paperwork waiting on the reception desk ready for my signature. They also presented me with some concert tickets I'd ordered ahead. Superb.

We booked a Mandarin Deluxe room, which was vast. The corridors to the rooms are arranged in such a way that you feel you're actually in quite private wings of a smaller hotel. It's another small detail that adds to the comfort of your stay.

The room was immaculate, and every item in it felt very high quality. Even the slippers were the best hotel slippers I've ever used, and the bathroom accessories (including a surprisingly good hair brush) were excellent. Items were replaced on a daily basis, so almost as soon as we unwrapped a brush from its little Mandarin Oriental bag, we'd find another one in the bathroom. Also in the bathroom, you would find an almost unbeatable walk-in shower, a huge, fast-filling bath and a top-end Toto toilet, complete with an "extra deodorising" button.

Another notable feature in the room was the massive flat-screen television, and its extremely impressive array of entertainment options. These included internet radio, meaning we could ditch the dubbed international news channels, and listen to our favourite BBC 6Music shows. The bed was supremely comfortable, and the air-conditioning was quiet and effective. We weren't fortunate enough to see the top of Fuji during our stay, due to cloud, but you would have an uninterrupted view on a clearer day. The only criticism I would have of the room is the lack of drawers; there were none in which to store clothing. Perhaps they're not used to people staying for extended periods, but we had to improvise using the Kimono box and the top shelf of the wardrobe (not suitable for someone under 6ft tall, I'd suggest). Free wireless broadband access was very useful, though, and the in-room safe comfortably accommodated my 15" laptop, cameras, documents, etc.

The hotel isn't in the most convenient of locations, if you're in Tokyo for fun. It's about 25 minutes on the tube to the bright lights of Shibuya, 10-15 minutes to Ginza and Akihabara, and at least half an hour to Shinjuku. However, because it's on top of a tube station, most of these places are reached very easily. Shinjuku's a little awkward, as you have to change line a couple of times, or walk to a different station. But Shibuya and Ginza are directly accessible, and Akihabara isn't far from a direct station. We enjoyed being slightly out of the madder parts of Tokyo, knowing that it was easy to go in to the more exciting areas. It was a short walk over to the Imperial Palace and its peaceful grounds and nearby high-end shopping.

The hotel bar was expensive but stylish, with a view over the city towards Fuji san. We ate in the restaurant on the lobby level once for dinner and every day for breakfast. Dinner was rather nice, but unspectacular. Breakfast was wonderful - everything you could want, and all sorts of eggs cooked to order. Also, room service was delicious and well presented.

Staff at the hotel were unfailingly polite and helpful. We had a couple of problems with our automatic curtains/drapes, and the housekeeping manager was disproportionately but endearingly apologetic, and did his best to sort things out swiftly. It was hardly a problem...we just had to draw the curtains by hand for one night. The concierge was also very helpful.

We stayed here for 6 nights, and loved every one. Tokyo is a fascinating city, with so much to do. And this has to be one of the world's finest hotels, within easy reach of some of the world's finest shopping and entertainment. If we go back to Tokyo, I don't think we'd consider staying anywhere else. We've stayed in quite a few good hotels around the world, but this one takes first prize. So far...

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank howl

Reviewed 9 June 2008

Stayed here for a couple nights recently. Excellent (large) rooms with great views over Tokyo. Service exemplary.
Great spa and fitness room.
Stayed in quite a few hotels in Tokyo, this is my fave for now.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank clogs09
Reviewed 8 June 2008

During a recent business trip to Tokyo, I chose the Mandarin Oriental that I found the hotel to be an excellent choice and just another wonderful property from this hotel chain.

The lobby was beautifully decorated with views of Tokyo and the room was modern with every amenity once could want.

This hotel met all of my expectations and would certainly visit again when in Tokyo.

• Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank jetsetter222
Reviewed 5 June 2008

Stayed at the MO from 30 May till 1 June and then from 3 June till 6 June. We have stayed in many top hotels, and we just expected another 5-star hotel experience. As our cab approached the hotel driveway, the doormen were already enthusiastically waving to our cab, ushering it to stop where they were all eagerly waiting and with great efficiency, they unloaded the bags from the boot even before we paid the cab fare. We were greeted with warm welcomes and ushered to the 38th floor where the reception desk was. After a quick check in, we were shown to our room. Amex Centurion has a stay 2 nites, pay 1 nite promo at all MO hotels, valid for once a year and we took advantage of that. We were upgraded to the premier king room but decided to splurge on the executive suite for an extra 20,000 yen. It was very spacious, the bathroom had a free standing bath and a huge shower with seating for 2 people in it! The bed wasnt a full king, my only grouse for the price we were paying, we should have a full king bed. Broadband access is free, huge flat screen tvs, and very plush coverings.

But the reason why i am writing this review is not because of the room, many good hotels have this too. Its the MO service that we are most impressed with. We have never experienced a level of service that "goes the extra mile" as we did here at MO. We were going to Izu, a 3 hour train ride out of Tokyo and altho I had done my research on the internet, we still had a few queries about getting there. The train schedule seemed to indicate that we needed to transfer trains but other sites said diff things. We checked with the front desk at MO and immed the man there, a very helpful Mr Takashi, offered to help me decipher and make out the route there. He took my train schedule and other info, made a copy and said he would get back to me. In less than 2 hours, they slid a note under our door and said that they would be happy to purchase the train tickets for us for the journey there and back to Tokyo. Of course we said yes please, and an hour later, the train tickets were sitting at the front desk waiting for me
to pick them up. I only paid for them at check out. Someone actually went to the train station and bought the tickets for us, how cool is that!
When we got back from Izu 3 days later, we were greeted with "Welcome back Mr ---!" by the doormen. How do they remember everyone's names?? I wouldnt flatter myself to think that they remember only our names of course, that they remember returning guests by name is amazing to me. Went to the spa and hub did a facial. They didnt just complete the facial and forget all abt him, they advised him on his skin type and how to manage his skin care.
All in all, the service at the MO is stellar, and unmatched in all the hotels that we have stayed at, we have never felt so pampered and taken care of. We were not just guests, we were valued and treated with utmost respect and hospitality, they fully deserve their 6 star rating and what they lose out to in terms of location (how i wish they were in a shopping belt!), they more than make up for it in unparalleled service and warmth. Will def stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank ariel77
Reviewed 23 May 2008

We stayed @ Mandarin Oriental for just 1 night before going home. I thought it would be impossible to top Ritz but they did it.
Unbelievable hotel. We had an amazing view from our room.
Would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank Lana02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chuo
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
The Peninsula Tokyo
The Peninsula Tokyo
#6 of 78 in Chiyoda
Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo? Share your experiences!