The Peninsula Tokyo
USD 640*
USD 461*
JAPANiCAN.com
1,785 results
All reviewsdressing roomnail dryerwalk in closetlobby restaurantvalet boxpeter bardeluxe suitepark view roomrolls royceimperial palaceinternet radiomood lightingespresso machinetop floorchinese restaurantdressing areahuge bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 April 2012

These guys are a mess. The left hand doesnt know what the right is doing.

Wrong meals delivered by room service, took 40 minutes to get our breakfast in the restaurant, poor service, approached by staff about matters that had nothing to do with us..... we cut short our reservation and moved to the MO as quick as we could.

Let me just say that I have stayed in many hotels in Tokyo and all over Japan, and I can advise that this is by far the most over rated and over priced. Both the Mandarin Oriental and Conrad are streets ahead.

Regarding breakfast, there is no buffet, which is fine, however if you are on a bed and breakfast plan, you breakfast bill is limited to 3800Y ($45) which is also fine, until you realize that the (very bad) cup of cafe latte costs 1200Y !!! $15 for a cup of coffee at breakfast. ha. add a smoked salmon bagel to that at $30 and you have hit your limit. Fancy an orange juice, or anything else ? well, now you have got to pay (alot), for a breakfast that was supposed to be included in your package.

Further, when you are in a bustling city like Tokyo, you are looking for your hotel to be a refuge, an island of calm. The Peninsula is not this. You enter through the main restaurant, which is almost as noisy as the streets outside.

Having stayed at other top hotels in Tokyo, I know there is much better out there, and I will not stand for this nonsense. The other contenders are just so far ahead.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank MrChalk
Reviewed 28 March 2012

The service was poor and getting decent was impossible. They really need to do something about their whole Food and Beverage Department. Whoever is running it needs to be replaced.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Debbie L
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I hope I'm lucky enough to come back here some day. Everything about the hotel is beautiful, elegant, and luxurious. The rooms are large, the bathrooms fabulous, and everything is done to the highest standard of comfort. Really, this hotel has thought of every detail.

The location is wonderful, too: just opposite the Imperial Palace, a 7-minute walk from the Ginza, and a 3-minute walk from the Yamanote Line train, which seems to connect to pretty much everything. And if you need to take the subway, there's an entrance to the Hibiya Line from the basement of the hotel!

We were traveling with our granchildren, 8 and 10-year-old boys, and the hotel staff could not have been more helpful and engaging. On arrival day, there was even a table set up in the boys' room with three plates; on each was a large cookie, some mini colored marshmallows, and two small tubes of frosting so that the kids could decorate their own cookies. At every encounter--with restaurant staff, front desk, and concierge--we met with warm, excellent service.

Among the luxury hotels in Tokyo, I can't imagine a better choice than this.

Room Tip: The only difference between a Superior and a Deluxe room is the size of the closet and the amount of drawer space. All else--beautiful bathroom, gorgeous room, is the same. As it happened, we stayed in both, and the Superior room is great (unless you require more than 4 drawers).
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank BRuthB
Reviewed 23 March 2012

There is no doubt that the facilities at the Peninsula are first class. The rooms are so gorgeous you almost didn't want to leave. Bathrooms were lovely, dressing area was a very nice touch, room was comfortable and extremely inviting. Being in the room was a pleasure. My only reservation is that this was obviously a touristy hotel, which is not a bad thing in and of itself, but I suppose it depends on what you would like to experience. The staff in the hotel were so used to speaking to people in English that when we used what little Japanese we knew you could see the surprise on their faces. When we asked for recommendations on where to go to eat we were directed towards Western cuisine restaurants. When we asked how to get somewhere the first question was if we were going to take a taxi. This a luxurious hotel that serves luxurious people, but if you are like me and actually would like to get down and dirty in the place you are visiting (keeping in mind how difficult it would be to get truly dirty in Tokyo) then this may not give you what you are looking for. Also, Ginza area seemed pretty quiet after the shops closed, but I may not have been looking in the right places. Again, gorgeous hotel, friendly staff, but not really for the adventurous at heart.

Room Tip: Room with a garden view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We stayed 3 nights at this fabulous hotel. It is a short ride from Tokyo station and located nearby great shopping and nice restaurants. The staff (particularly the concierge staff) were exceptional, helpful and friendly. The rooms are very well appointed with nice amenities and ample sized dressing area. The bed was comfortable and had plenty of pillows. My only minor disappointment was with my massage service. The prices are quite high for a 50 minute massage (which turned out to be 30 minutes after a long Q & A) and my therapist was not as skilled as I had hoped. My husband, however, had a great massage by a therapist that "went right to work" as soon as he entered the room. You must visit the spa. It is very nice treat. We will definately be back for an other stay at this wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors are nicer for views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple