“Extraordinary service - even by FS legendary standards”

Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi
Ranked #4 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Santa Monica, California
“Extraordinary service - even by FS legendary standards”
Reviewed 28 December 2011

I feel that that most of the previous reviews fairly represent the hotel and my own experiences earlier this month, though of course tastes differ – particularly with food and service. I was in Asia on a mileage run to maintain that all-important 1K level on United for 2012.

Overview:
This hotel is the smallest Four Seasons (FS) property that I have ever visited and probably the smallest in the chain. The one FS that I have the most experience is with the Istanbul-Sultanahmet property and this hotel has only 65 rooms. Ergo, the Marunouchi property is not a typical FS. The hotel is indeed a boutique property - meaning it has only 50+ rooms, one restaurant and the staff consistently addressed me by name. It is located in an office building - with its own entrance but not well marked - and next to Tokyo Station (which, of course, is great for the Narita Express). The spa and gym facility is small but so is the hotel, and I rarely encountered another guest in the spa or the gym. I loved the onsen and used it three separate times to sort out a bad back. Incidentally, during my three uses of the onsen, it was my private bath since I never saw another person.

Room:
I did receive an upgrade to a junior suite (room 506) which overlooked the train station, but the train noise was inaudible and I enjoyed watching the trains arrive and depart. The bathroom was large with a separate bath and shower, and toilet was in true Japanese tradition - you needed a PhD to figure out all the buttons. The bathroom amenities were "standard" FS - l'Occitane. One reviewer complained about the difficulty using some of the room's gadgets but I had no such problem with the two TVs and the window curtain, though I remained puzzled about the toilet (don’t worry – there is a handle). There was also an upscale coffee machine in the room

Dining:
I did not have room service or breakfast in the hotel. Dinner was very good and cheaper than the $200 meal the next night - but just as good. I did take the free morning coffee and pastry on the ground floor, which I think is served until 8:00am. The lounge is divided into two parts - smoking and non-smoking - and both overlook the train station. The restaurant is non-smoking. I despise smoking but this is par for the course in Japan, and seemed less of a problem at this FS. I met the new F&B manager, who is a Japanese-speaking Aussie.

Highlights:
My experience with the onsen was already noted. I took the FS bicycle around Tokyo with no problem, with the exception that the helmet was too small – even for my bald head. I enjoyed the Japanese reaction seeing a "gringo" riding around the streets of Tokyo. By far the best experience was having the hotel’s general manager – Daniel Simon – provide me with a personal tour of the Tokyo fish market … at 5:00am. I had a couple of chats previously with Mr. Simon when he was the hotel manager in Sydney but this act was far beyond any service that I have ever experienced at any FS hotel – and I considered it exceptional, even by FS’s legendary standards. While you should not expect a personal tour of the fish market from the GM at 5:00am, it indicates the type of service that you should expect.

Lessons Learned in Tokyo:
- Carry cash. Many places do not accept credit cards and bank ATMs – even those of major international Japanese banks – did not seem to accept US ATM cards. The post office ATMs did accept my two US ATM cards.
- Take advantage of the complimentary FS “greeting” service offered upon arrival at Tokyo Station. I did not. I was confused leaving the train station, which was made worse since it was at rush hour. Also don’t be cheap … take the Narita Express for a few extra bucks instead of the local train.
- Anywhere I went I had the hotel write in Japanese my destination and/or exactly what I wanted – such as kabuki tickets. I found English proficiency limited, even amongst the young. This is not Hong Kong. Language was never a problem at the hotel, but particularly when the Japanese-American woman from Chicago was working at the lobby entrance.
- After a day I figured out the convoluted Tokyo subway/underground system but never could figure what priced ticket I needed. I just paid the minimum fare and then paid the difference upon exiting the station – no penalty.
- Tokyo is an expensive city.

Room Tip: Probably the higher rooms would have less noise from the trains, though the noise was not discernibl...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank SanMoTraveler
FSHMarunouchi, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear SanMo traveller,

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write the review as well as the letter that I recieved yesterday. The feedback and tips are well noted. We have ordered a larger bicycle helmet for your next visit. I do love the Tsukiji fish market, could go every day if time allows. I hope to see you back in Tokyo soon again.

Daniel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
san francisco
Reviewed 22 December 2011

One of the world's most welcoming, gracious and comforting hotel experiences in a spectacular, flawless facility.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear Martin C,

Thank you for the very nice comments. I hope to see you back in Tokyo soon again.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 December 2011

After staying at two service apartments from our previous visits to Tokyo, we decided to "upgrade" and shoot for the stars. Four Seasons Tokyo on Marunouchi was our choice - close to Tokyo station as we had to come in from Narita, and central to many subway lines, plus who could refuse Four Seasons hospitality.

We called ahead while on the NEX (Narita Express) to Tokyo, and we were met by the concierge right at outside our carriage. Jonathon navigated us through the maze of Tokyo station and on our way to the hotel, we met with the new BMW i8 concept car direct from the Tokyo motorshow!

Our room was on the 6th floor, and straight away our son was spoilt. They gave him a choice of toy or cup, and in the room, the was a cookie plate with m&m's and marshmallows. Our room was sizable by Japanese standards and the most comfortable. Big comfy king sized bed, and a huge tv that we could connect our Apple devices to. A big plus for the young boy!

The son woo and wowed at the size of the toilet (large). Toiletries were from l'occitane and the toilet was glass separated by glass partitions in order of toilet, bath tub installed width wise, and the shower. Very nice!

All staff spoke English really well, and usually with an American accent. They were also very helpfully, and would make sure we were given information we asked for.

The gym is a good complement to the facilities and there is a mapped run to the nearby Imperial Palace and back. I was going for a morning run, but alas, it was raining.

The nearby Tokyo station offered lots to eat- ramen, curries and sushi. There is even a Daimaru department store nearby.

We certainly enjoyed our stay here and would love to come back again. We were comfortable and well-loved by all the warm and friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jamie575
Dear Jamie575,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I have taken the liberty to post your review for the staff to read. I am glad that everyone in the family enjoyed their staff and we hope to have you all back with us soon again.

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This was our first stop on a trip through Japan and it was great. The location is fabulous, you can walk to and from the train station, and to a lot of ares of Tokyo. Tons of shopping and restaurants very close by. We never needed a cab at all.

Our room was great with views of the city. Everyone told us to be aware of the tiny rooms in Japan but our was very large and has a wall of windows. The bathroom was also very nice. We have breakfast in the room each day and it was fabulous, get the Japanese breakfast for sure! There is a large desk area in the room for working as well.

The gym is small but nice with great views. The do have hot Japanese baths in the gym for soaking but no pool, we were there in summer and a pool or at least cool dipping pool would have been nice.

Not sure if all rooms look over the city, so ask for one just to be sure. Service was also wonderful, everyone there is very helpful, they walked us back to the train station to make sure we went to the right entrance. They will help you with maps of the city and reservations and suggestions on where to go and the best route. Just ask!.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city it is great!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Dear Elizabeth M,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review of our hotel. Unfortunately the size of the hotel does not allow us to have a pool but we do have connections with other locations so we can make a pool available if you would like to visit one next time you are in Tokyo. I am glad that you enjoyed your room so much that you even had breakfast there. We have to views in the hotel, one is the train view (overlooking Tokyo Station) and the other one is the city view. I personally prefer to have a view of the train tracks, it is amazing siting in you room watching the bullet trains go by.

We hope to see you back soon again.

Boston MA
Reviewed 1 December 2011

This hotel is amazing! Not only is it adjacent to the train station, but the client service is over the top. Our first trip to Tokyo was "uneventful" because of the eloquent staff at this hotel. They met us at the train station and walked us to the hotel and when we departed, they did the same thing. I am convinced that this shaved at least 1 hour off of our schedule (because I am sure we would have gotten lost left to our own devices). The rooms were magnifecetn, clean and to our surprise HUGE. Recommendations for restaurants were also spot on.
If you have the opportunity to stay here for either business or travel, please give it a try!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear Tritonlab

OMG - thank you for the review. I do not know what to say but thank you. I am glad that we could make your stay as comfortable and as "uneventful" as we did. Hope to see you back soon again.

Daniel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Imperial Hotel Tokyo
#5 of 74 in Chiyoda
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,936 reviews

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi? Share your experiences!