“Best rooms in Tokyo”

Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
Ranked #2 of 78 Hotels / Ryokan in Chiyoda
Reviewed 8 January 2012

One of the best rooms I've ever stayed in. The bed, work area and especially the bathroom were perfect. Service is excellent but most hotels in Tokyo have great service. Restaurants and bars are very good. I especially thought the breakfast buffet had an excellent selection.
Gym facilities, despite having a pool, are lacking by five star hotel standards (see Four Seasons Marunouchi) but in line with high end Tokyo hotels where the locals clientele doesn't work out.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Tkyrnr

Reviewed 27 December 2011

Stayed 3 nights last week. Overall, the premium quality of the hotel is evident from the momemnt you are greeted at the door to the details in the finishing of the rooms. Room and toilet were luxuriously fitted out and full range of toiletries provided (comb, toothbrush, moutthwash, sewing kit, Occitane soaps/shampoos). Found the beds too soft for my liking. Hotel kept luggage for 4 days whilst we went to Nagano for skiing without any hassle. Location (next to Tokyo station) was very convenient if you intend to use the JR trains to go to other prefectures. Tokyo station itself has tons of shops and eating places.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BeanieHead
Reviewed 22 December 2011

This past November I was lucky enough to be able to stay for a week in the Shangri-La Hotel. I've never had service like this at a hotel before. They were more than happy to accept my luggage via delivery service (takkyubin) and hold it for a week for me. Makino-san, with whom I had been corresponding via email regarding the matter, actually recognized me when I was checking in and greeted me by name and told me if there was anything at all I needed to just let them know. They purchased my return train ticket to Narita airport for me, and would have guided me to the proper platform as well, if I had needed the assistance. And every single morning when I walked by and every single evening when I returned from work they greeted me with enthusiasm and asked me how I was and if there was anything they could do to help me. I went out shopping every evening and each time they hurried to help me with my bags and to call the elevator for me and would help me all the way to my room if I needed it.

The room was stunning as well. Tastefully decorated and not to mention enormous. There was plenty of room for everything, a very comfortable desk for me to work at and I must say I loved the heated toilet seat with bidet attached as well. Every little luxury I could think of had been provided for - comfy slippers, a turn down service every nice, fresh bottles of water each day - and if I needed help with anything and called the front desk, they always greeted me by name and helped me immediately. I slept soundly every night and they had obviously also thought about sound-proofing the room somewhat, because I never had problems with noisy neighbors or getting woken up by slamming doors, which I often have with other hotels.

I can't think of a single bad thing to say about either the staff or the hotel. And it's location can't be beat either. It's under a 10 minute walk from Tokyo station - even for someone with short legs like me.

It's not cheap, but then again, what's cheap in Tokyo? But you won't regret staying here - I'm sure of it!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank zubora
Reviewed 11 November 2011

This is the best Shang I have ever stayed in. The rooms are gorgeous the bed divine (better than any Westin bed) the staff were unassuming and perfectly aware of our needs.
Nothing in Tokyo is cheap but this hotel is worth that little bit extra.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Nick_Pat71
Reviewed 9 November 2011

This was my first time in Japan on business and the team at Shangri-La made it an outstanding experience. Service was simply flawless, from the concierge team that met me at Tokyo station and escorted me to the hotel to the reception team that helped organized my daily business excursions into Tokyo. Every member of staff went out of their way to help me acclimatize to a very new environment, it was a refreshing experience to be greeted by name by almost all members of staff after less that 24 hours! The central location in Maranouchi and next to the Tokyo station made travel easy, the great concierge team who translated all my travel requirements to the taxi drivers made it all the more so!

I cannot recommend the Shangri-La Tokyo enough.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank GGK1981
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiyoda
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
#1 of 83 in Shinjuku
The Peninsula Tokyo
The Peninsula Tokyo
#6 of 78 in Chiyoda

Been to Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo? Share your experiences!