“Highlight of our trip!”

Wakalture Experience -Japanese Calligraphy and Cooking
Ranked #3 of 21 Food & Drink in Chiyoda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Wakana teaches you the real Japanese culture such as traditional calligraphy, cooking, Origami, Tsumami-zaiku etc... Wakana is a licensed calligrapher and having over 20 years of experience!! At the calligraphy class, you will write your favorite word with your name in Japanese. Of course, you can take them home as a souvenir:) Udon making class comes with either Calligraphy, Tamagoyaki (Japanese omelette) making or Origami folding class. You make Udon from scratch! While we let Udon dough sit 1-1.5 hours, you'll experience one more Japanese culture. It's located in my local area close to both Akihabara and Ueno:) More cultural classes are available!! Please check my website for more details or just ask me:)
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

Wakana led us through A wonderful experience of making udon and origami .... our 8 yr old’s two favorites. She was pleasant, patient, and highly informative. You can tell that her standards are high and that she does her utmost best to share authentic Japanese culture. She’s quite well-traveled and therefore her English is excellent. When we asked our daughter what were her top experiences and meals of our vacation, she mentioned Wakana and the udon. It was a perfect break from theme parks and shopping; we will definitely be taking another course from Wakana the next time we are in Tokyo.

All reviews
"interesting things"
"explained everything"
"tokyo trip"

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

We had such an amazing time with Wakana! She is so accommodating, patient, talented, and knowledgeable. She gave us a great overview of kanji and calligraphy answering all of our questions and making us feel very welcomed and relaxed. She then helped us choose the individual kanji that we wanted to work on. We were given as much practice time as we needed. She never rushed us and she gave us a very generous amount of supplies and one on one instruction. Once we felt ready, she provided us with a beautiful board to create our final piece. We so greatly enjoyed our time and absolutely love the souvenirs we created. I highly recommend this experience!

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were in Japan for a few weeks and wanted to have a less touristy experience. I'd dabbled in learning the language a bit on and off for a few years, but had little to no knowledge of kanji. Wakana was so patient and encouraging, smiling the whole time. You can really tell she's passionate about what she does. We also made udon - that was a fun experience - as well as tsumami-zaiku. If you're going to Tokyo or already there, experience Wakalture!

Reviewed 10 May 2018

As I know quite a bit of kanji already, I still found it interesting to try my hand at shodō under the eye of Wakana Sensei. She taught me some meanings of kanji that I had no idea about, as well as other parts of the Japanese culture. It was really interesting, as you get to learn about kanji, and also understand more about how difficult it can be.

Date of experience: May 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I had a private lesson from Wakana. She is extremely friendly, fun, and a great teacher. I would highly recommend this as a great activity if you’re looking to learn how to make Japanese foods and experience more of the Japanese culture in an intimate setting.

Date of experience: April 2018