Open today: 9:30 am - 6:00 pm
Review Highlights
Excellent! Super fun for the family

We enjoyed our Udon noodle and calligraphy classes. Wakana was an excellent teacher. We started... read more

Reviewed 21 November 2023
Paoosa
Scaggsville, Maryland
via mobile
Fantastic cooking and calligraphy class. The best way to take a break from busy Tokyo. Kids loved the experience!!

Fantastic cooking and calligraphy class. Wakana is amazing! She taught us how to prepare udon... read more

Reviewed 21 November 2023
Ed_likestraveling
Laurel, Maryland
via mobile

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Chiyoda
from AU$207.03
1-Day Tokyo Bus Tour
5,155 Reviews
from AU$180.49
from AU$196.68
from AU$165.62
More Info
All reviews udon noodles tea ceremony from scratch couple of hours kanji teacher lesson art dough class knowledge oishi japan encouraging
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

We had a fantastic time. Wakana-san spent a couple of hours teaching a family of four (with two daughters aged 10 and 14) the basics of Japanese calligraphy (Shodō). She made the experience interesting and fun and helped us get a further insight in the many layers of the deep Japanese culture.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 5 April 2018

With 23 years of experience in calligraphy, Wakana is a fantastic teacher. She is patient (calligraphy is a lot harder than it looks!) and supportive in how to improve your technique. She also explains all about the different Japanese languages/alphabets so that you get a grasp on what you are actually writing, rather than just telling you what to write. The class is held in her lovely home and you walk away with your own wall mount - a unique souvenir from your trip! I got lost on the way to the class and so was late and she was most accommodating. As for the udon cooking section of the class, it was really fun! Who knew stomping on dough was so therapeutic? I was lucky enough to sample a secondary cooking class making tamagoyaki omelette which I got to eat along with the noodles at the end. What is even better, the udon recipe is so simple that you can actually make it at home for your friends :) So glad I got to sample two Japanese cultural practises at once, and it was a workshop I won't forget!

Date of experience: March 2018
1  Thank Elle J
Reviewed 16 February 2018

Wakana was very friendly and spoke excellent English.

We always wanted to try some calligraphy and we can certainly recommend Wakana as your teacher! Also being students of Japanese language we also enjoyed learning some more kanji characters and their origins.

Wakana is very knowledgeable about calligraphy and has been studying it for over 20 years.

This is in Akihabara near to all the shops and is a great activity to plan around a day in this area of Tokyo.

I would recommend this to anyone wanting to try some calligraphy it's a lot of fun!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 2 February 2018 via mobile

Wakana was a wonderful host for my Japanese culture experience. Because I had a particular interest in tea ceremony she arranged a private lesson with Besui Sensei, who was phenomenally gracious! Sensei’s daughter also assisted and demonstrated. I felt so honored that Sensei was so willing to patiently share her decades of knowledge to a mere novice patiently answering my many questions. I was humbled and thrilled!

The day continued with a cooking class in noodle making and omelets. It was great fun to learn how easy noodle making can be. She is a very patient teacher. Thank goodness! I had so much fun with the omelet lesson that I bought the special pan so I could make it for my family.

Yes it’s fun to tour a country but it’s even more memorable to delve into the culture. Next time I want to try calligraphy. Wakana has been practicing the art for years. Thank you for an unforgettable day!

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 19 January 2018

Wakana very kindly made time to see us as we were at the end of our holiday and I desperately wanted to do a Japanese calligraphy class. It was a lovely experience and Wakana is very thorough in explaining the different Japanese styles of writing, how to hold your brush etc. I would highly recommend Wakana for a true Japanese cultural experience.

Date of experience: January 2018