“A taste of Japanese culture with a fantastic and friendly teacher”

Wakalture Experience -Japanese Calligraphy and Cooking
Ranked #3 of 21 Food & Drink in Chiyoda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Wakana teaches you the real Japanese culture such as traditional calligraphy, cooking, Origami, Tsumami-zaiku etc... Wakana is a licensed calligrapher and having over 20 years of experience!! At the calligraphy class, you will write your favorite word with your name in Japanese. Of course, you can take them home as a souvenir:) Udon making class comes with either Calligraphy, Tamagoyaki (Japanese omelette) making or Origami folding class. You make Udon from scratch! While we let Udon dough sit 1-1.5 hours, you'll experience one more Japanese culture. It's located in my local area close to both Akihabara and Ueno:) More cultural classes are available!! Please check my website for more details or just ask me:)
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 5 April 2018

With 23 years of experience in calligraphy, Wakana is a fantastic teacher. She is patient (calligraphy is a lot harder than it looks!) and supportive in how to improve your technique. She also explains all about the different Japanese languages/alphabets so that you get a grasp on what you are actually writing, rather than just telling you what to write. The class is held in her lovely home and you walk away with your own wall mount - a unique souvenir from your trip! I got lost on the way to the class and so was late and she was most accommodating. As for the udon cooking section of the class, it was really fun! Who knew stomping on dough was so therapeutic? I was lucky enough to sample a secondary cooking class making tamagoyaki omelette which I got to eat along with the noodles at the end. What is even better, the udon recipe is so simple that you can actually make it at home for your friends :) So glad I got to sample two Japanese cultural practises at once, and it was a workshop I won't forget!

Date of experience: March 2018
"from scratch"
"interesting things"
"explained everything"

Reviewed 16 February 2018

Wakana was very friendly and spoke excellent English.

We always wanted to try some calligraphy and we can certainly recommend Wakana as your teacher! Also being students of Japanese language we also enjoyed learning some more kanji characters and their origins.

Wakana is very knowledgeable about calligraphy and has been studying it for over 20 years.

This is in Akihabara near to all the shops and is a great activity to plan around a day in this area of Tokyo.

I would recommend this to anyone wanting to try some calligraphy it's a lot of fun!

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

Wakana was a wonderful host for my Japanese culture experience. Because I had a particular interest in tea ceremony she arranged a private lesson with Besui Sensei, who was phenomenally gracious! Sensei’s daughter also assisted and demonstrated. I felt so honored that Sensei was so willing to patiently share her decades of knowledge to a mere novice patiently answering my many questions. I was humbled and thrilled!

The day continued with a cooking class in noodle making and omelets. It was great fun to learn how easy noodle making can be. She is a very patient teacher. Thank goodness! I had so much fun with the omelet lesson that I bought the special pan so I could make it for my family.

Yes it’s fun to tour a country but it’s even more memorable to delve into the culture. Next time I want to try calligraphy. Wakana has been practicing the art for years. Thank you for an unforgettable day!

Date of experience: October 2017
Reviewed 19 January 2018

Wakana very kindly made time to see us as we were at the end of our holiday and I desperately wanted to do a Japanese calligraphy class. It was a lovely experience and Wakana is very thorough in explaining the different Japanese styles of writing, how to hold your brush etc. I would highly recommend Wakana for a true Japanese cultural experience.

Date of experience: January 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 January 2018

If there was one experience in Japan that I felt like I gained the most from, it was this one! Wakana is such a sweet person to be around, and my wife and I both felt like we connected with her over the course of the experience. Not only did Wakana teach us how to make homemade Udon Zaru style, she also taught us Japanese Calligraphy. There were a couple things I learned about both of these as a bonus: 1. Zaru Udon is just as good if not better tasting than Zaru Soba (which is my favorite style of Japanese cuisine) and 2. I learned a lot about Japanese language and grammar from Wakana in the process of picking which word to paint. My favorite part about it was spending time in a Tokyo home, with someone who knows Tokyo and the culture so well, and just feeling like I was hanging out with a really cool Japanese girl in her home environment. We talked about travel, and food, and the "always improving" mastery culture that is well known in Japan. By the end, this experience made me feel like I was reunited with a really awesome family member in her home. Highly recommend this experience to anyone!

Date of experience: January 2018