Wakalture Experience -Japanese Calligraphy and Cooking
Open today: 9:30 am - 6:00 pm
Review Highlights
Wonderful Cooking and Calligraphy Lessons

We decided to visit this experience as we like to support local business and, of course, meet local... read more

Reviewed 24 March 2020
gkenrick
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Fun and interesting experience

My wife and I were staying in the area and visited Wakana for her calligraphy and cooking classes... read more

Reviewed 24 March 2020
G2427MTpaulk
London, United Kingdom

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Chiyoda
from USD 65.10
from USD 47.70
from USD 94.53
from USD 363.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

My boyfriend and I look the calligraphy class. It was a very nice experience to just sit down and focus on 'drawing', after running around in hectic and loud Tokyo for a couple of days. It was a wonderful break! Thanks!

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Wakana's classes aren't just something to do if you've got a bit of free time in Tokyo- if you're going to Tokyo you should make time to go to her classes! My partner and I attended a private calligraphy lesson with Wakana and we walked away with one of our best experiences of our entire trip. Not only did we leave with our finished calligraphy, but we also left with so much new knowledge about the history of calligraphy and Japanese culture!
Wakana herself is an absolute delight- she's helpful and funny, and didn't make fun of my terrible calligraphy once!! :) I enjoyed her lesson so much that I've bought my own calligraphy set and am practicing regularly. I also highly recommend her origami earrings- I've gotten so many compliments on them since returning home and they are the best souvenir I could imagine!

Long story short- take Wakana's classes!! We're already looking forward to returning so we can learn how to make some delicious udon and have a tour of her local area!

Thank you Wakana!!

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 15 August 2017

Oh my goodness, this was by far one of my favorite experiences here in Japan. Wakana is actually certified to teach calligraphy, whereas many people teach it but do not truly know what they are doing and tourists can't tell the difference. Wakana could speak English extremely well, which is hard to find in Japan. The noodles we made together was my favorite meal in tokyo as well, simple but extremely tasty. Along with the experience, she has very unique things to buy within her home. Overall, she was very welcoming, kind, competent, and fun.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

Well I only have great words for Wakana and her 'Wakalture' . I really appreciate everything she does and I learned a lot about Japanese culture. Cooking noodles from scratch and write my first words in Japanese with Wakana will be something I will bring with me for a long time !  If you're in Tokyo..just go there, and you won't regret ;)
I can't wait to go there next time!!

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed 23 July 2017

While looking for fun and interesting things for my family to do I came across Hub Japan. Hub Japan has locals that want to share the "real" Japan with vistors. this where I found Wakana. Her business Wakalutre, teaches you the authentic way to make udon noodles. Being we had a 11 year old with us it sounded like something exciting and different to do. She loves to cook and when I found that you need to use your feet to knead the udon made it all the more fun.

Wakana is very pleasant, speaks English well, entertaining and overall easy to talk with. I felt like we were talking to old friend, not someone we just met.

Wakalture is in a residential neighborhood, away from the busy city. It is a short walk from the Okachimachi Station. Google maps takes you right there.

During the time that we had to let the udon set she taught us how to make various origami pieces. After she cooked the udon we got to eat our creation! She not only just served us the food but explained the reasoning for placing the zaru (bamboo plate) and hashi (chopsticks) a certain way. You even get the recipe so that you can make it at home. My daughter has made it already and it came out great, not mention fun to do.

After a few hectic days all around Tokyo, it was nice way to relax for 3 hours. Go and visit Wakalture, I'm glad we did.

Date of experience: June 2017