Wakalture Experience -Japanese Calligraphy and Cooking
Open today: 9:30 am - 6:00 pm
Review Highlights
Wonderful Cooking and Calligraphy Lessons

We decided to visit this experience as we like to support local business and, of course, meet local... read more

Reviewed 24 March 2020
gkenrick
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Fun and interesting experience

My wife and I were staying in the area and visited Wakana for her calligraphy and cooking classes... read more

Reviewed 24 March 2020
G2427MTpaulk
London, United Kingdom

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Recommended experiences in and around Chiyoda
from USD 65.10
from USD 47.70
from USD 94.53
from USD 363.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

What won't come of this:
-you won't become a calligraphy expert
-you won't become a Japanese chef

But maybe:
-You will have a little less fear of drawing intricate japanese kanji and katakana
-You will gain an appreciation of the art of Japanese cooking
-Your new found interest may inspire you to do those things you can't do in one sitting.

It was a joy not only to gain insight into these areas of this amazing culture, but also to spend this time with the warm, patient, and kind person that is Wakana. She provides a great environment for soaking in these art forms without feeling like you are just a low-ly beginner.

This is a short walk from the Ueno metro stop on the Ginza line and well worth your time. A great extra stop on your way to Asakusa!

Reviewed 16 June 2017

Add Wakalture to the top of your list. I signed up for one two-hour class. I enjoyed it so much that I took another class the next day. I suggest spending a couple hours with Wakana and then walking nearby to some of Tokyo's popular attractions.

Pros:
- Learning Shodo art and being introduced to Japanese language.
- Opportunity to experience Japanese culture outside of hotels, restaurants, and tourist attractions.
- Her studio is located in a residential area that is less touristy and more traditional. She is located among family-owned shops and restaurants.
- I walked to Ueno Park. It has a huge pond, places to sit, a market, museums, and shrines.
- Wakana is patient, friendly, speaks English well, and treated me like a good friend.

Cons:
- I was commuting from Yokohoma, and the subway ride took an hour and a half each way. If I had I been staying in Tokyo, Wakana's studio would have been quick and easy. She is located near several subway stations.

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

I had a lovely and fun time! The calligraphy lesson was very detailed and the teacher explained everything about japanese words and kanji characters. It was an amazing experience and a great memory from my Tokyo trip!

Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

Had a great Japanese cultural experience with Wakana learning Calligraphy, and joining a traditional tea ceremony, my family and I had the best day, highly recommended

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

Perfect Japanese experience!
Calligraphy lessons followed by traditional tea ceremony.
The host Wakana is so friendly, helpful and speaks English.
My family & I loved it and I would recommend this to anyone.