“Authentic Udon making and Origami”

Wakalture Experience -Japanese Calligraphy and Cooking
Ranked #3 of 21 Food & Drink in Chiyoda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Wakana teaches you the real Japanese culture such as traditional calligraphy, cooking, Origami, Tsumami-zaiku etc... Wakana is a licensed calligrapher and having over 20 years of experience!! At the calligraphy class, you will write your favorite word with your name in Japanese. Of course, you can take them home as a souvenir:) Udon making class comes with either Calligraphy, Tamagoyaki (Japanese omelette) making or Origami folding class. You make Udon from scratch! While we let Udon dough sit 1-1.5 hours, you'll experience one more Japanese culture. It's located in my local area close to both Akihabara and Ueno:) More cultural classes are available!! Please check my website for more details or just ask me:)
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 23 July 2017

While looking for fun and interesting things for my family to do I came across Hub Japan. Hub Japan has locals that want to share the "real" Japan with vistors. this where I found Wakana. Her business Wakalutre, teaches you the authentic way to make udon noodles. Being we had a 11 year old with us it sounded like something exciting and different to do. She loves to cook and when I found that you need to use your feet to knead the udon made it all the more fun.

Wakana is very pleasant, speaks English well, entertaining and overall easy to talk with. I felt like we were talking to old friend, not someone we just met.

Wakalture is in a residential neighborhood, away from the busy city. It is a short walk from the Okachimachi Station. Google maps takes you right there.

During the time that we had to let the udon set she taught us how to make various origami pieces. After she cooked the udon we got to eat our creation! She not only just served us the food but explained the reasoning for placing the zaru (bamboo plate) and hashi (chopsticks) a certain way. You even get the recipe so that you can make it at home. My daughter has made it already and it came out great, not mention fun to do.

After a few hectic days all around Tokyo, it was nice way to relax for 3 hours. Go and visit Wakalture, I'm glad we did.

All reviews
"from scratch"
"interesting things"
"explained everything"

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

What won't come of this:
-you won't become a calligraphy expert
-you won't become a Japanese chef

But maybe:
-You will have a little less fear of drawing intricate japanese kanji and katakana
-You will gain an appreciation of the art of Japanese cooking
-Your new found interest may inspire you to do those things you can't do in one sitting.

It was a joy not only to gain insight into these areas of this amazing culture, but also to spend this time with the warm, patient, and kind person that is Wakana. She provides a great environment for soaking in these art forms without feeling like you are just a low-ly beginner.

This is a short walk from the Ueno metro stop on the Ginza line and well worth your time. A great extra stop on your way to Asakusa!

Reviewed 16 June 2017

Add Wakalture to the top of your list. I signed up for one two-hour class. I enjoyed it so much that I took another class the next day. I suggest spending a couple hours with Wakana and then walking nearby to some of Tokyo's popular attractions.

Pros:
- Learning Shodo art and being introduced to Japanese language.
- Opportunity to experience Japanese culture outside of hotels, restaurants, and tourist attractions.
- Her studio is located in a residential area that is less touristy and more traditional. She is located among family-owned shops and restaurants.
- I walked to Ueno Park. It has a huge pond, places to sit, a market, museums, and shrines.
- Wakana is patient, friendly, speaks English well, and treated me like a good friend.

Cons:
- I was commuting from Yokohoma, and the subway ride took an hour and a half each way. If I had I been staying in Tokyo, Wakana's studio would have been quick and easy. She is located near several subway stations.

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

I had a lovely and fun time! The calligraphy lesson was very detailed and the teacher explained everything about japanese words and kanji characters. It was an amazing experience and a great memory from my Tokyo trip!