“A must-do to experience in Japanese culture”

Wakalture Experience -Japanese Calligraphy and Cooking
Ranked #3 of 21 Food & Drink in Chiyoda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Wakana teaches you the real Japanese culture such as traditional calligraphy, cooking, Origami, Tsumami-zaiku etc... Wakana is a licensed calligrapher and having over 20 years of experience!! At the calligraphy class, you will write your favorite word with your name in Japanese. Of course, you can take them home as a souvenir:) Udon making class comes with either Calligraphy, Tamagoyaki (Japanese omelette) making or Origami folding class. You make Udon from scratch! While we let Udon dough sit 1-1.5 hours, you'll experience one more Japanese culture. It's located in my local area close to both Akihabara and Ueno:) More cultural classes are available!! Please check my website for more details or just ask me:)
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 16 June 2017

Add Wakalture to the top of your list. I signed up for one two-hour class. I enjoyed it so much that I took another class the next day. I suggest spending a couple hours with Wakana and then walking nearby to some of Tokyo's popular attractions.

Pros:
- Learning Shodo art and being introduced to Japanese language.
- Opportunity to experience Japanese culture outside of hotels, restaurants, and tourist attractions.
- Her studio is located in a residential area that is less touristy and more traditional. She is located among family-owned shops and restaurants.
- I walked to Ueno Park. It has a huge pond, places to sit, a market, museums, and shrines.
- Wakana is patient, friendly, speaks English well, and treated me like a good friend.

Cons:
- I was commuting from Yokohoma, and the subway ride took an hour and a half each way. If I had I been staying in Tokyo, Wakana's studio would have been quick and easy. She is located near several subway stations.

All reviews
"from scratch"
"interesting things"
"explained everything"

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

I had a lovely and fun time! The calligraphy lesson was very detailed and the teacher explained everything about japanese words and kanji characters. It was an amazing experience and a great memory from my Tokyo trip!

Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

Had a great Japanese cultural experience with Wakana learning Calligraphy, and joining a traditional tea ceremony, my family and I had the best day, highly recommended

Reviewed 6 June 2017 via mobile

Perfect Japanese experience!
Calligraphy lessons followed by traditional tea ceremony.
The host Wakana is so friendly, helpful and speaks English.
My family & I loved it and I would recommend this to anyone.