“enjoyable stay”
Review of Balbirnie House

Balbirnie House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Markinch
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My wife and i had a very enjoyable nights stay in January . Service from the helpful and friendly staff was very good and we had a lovely large and comfortable room overlooking the gardens . The meals were excellent and the lounge had plenty of comfortable chairs to relax in the evening . Look forward to going back .

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Rosemary S, Owner at Balbirnie House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to write, all of us at Balbirnie House very much appreciate and value your comments, and the time which you have taken to provide your feedback about your visit. I will arrange to circulate your comments to the entire team at Balbirnie.

Reviewed 1 February 2012

The Barbirnie House Hotel stands in parkland with a golf course nearby, the house is large and spacious the furnishing is full of comfortable chairs and settees with lots of areas to simply chill out.

We booked their handicap room it was spotless and very nicely furnished, the bed was large and comfortable. The bathroom was large and contained a large bath with a shower over the bath (no good for a wheel chair user) lots of grab bars.. again very clean

The room provided tea and coffee the TV had a range of channels and films / internet access (for a fee) the room did not have wifi but you could hook up a laptop via a LAN the public areas did have wifi.

Staff – were very helpful. The bar is convivial and well stocked tables were provided with nibbles the whole place has a “genteel feel” to it. Food ... we ate in the Orangie restaurant the evening meal was extremely good the service impeccable.

Then we come to breakfast ..... there was a large selection of fruit juices breads porridge and cooked breakfast items. The porridge was excellent as was the fresh fruits etc however the cooked items were in bain-marie dishes and had been there far too long the fried egg had gone beyond rubbery to the plastic stage the baked beans was simply an orange mass the rest of the hot food items was luke warm at best.

My wife had to leave early she ordered a the offered boxed breakfast at six o’clock in the morning when she left the reception staff knew nothing about it hence she went off without breakfast this was obviously a glitch between reception and the kitchen however it should not have happened.

Overall the hotel is lovely the staff eager to help, generally the food is excellent just a shame these two minor points slightly took the gloss off a great experience

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello Graham,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your meal, and that the service was in that regards considered to be impeccable.

I am disheartened however to note that the fried egg was overdone, clearly that should not have been the case, and I have now discussed this matter directly with that day's Breakfast Chef.

As regards your wife’s early depart breakfast box- I am at a loss to explain what happened there, and can only think that there was somehow a crossed wire. Alas we cannot reverse the hands of time, as a measure of recompense please let me personally know when you next intend visiting – E : nicholas@balbirnie.co.uk – and I will arrange an appropriate bottle of Champagne to be served with our compliments.

To read a further selection of our monthly guestbook comments and reviews, from guests known to have stayed in our hotel, or who have visited as a guest, please do take just a few moments to visit our web site.
From the many lovely emails, cards and letters which we receive, and in tandem with our guestbook records, every month we take a selection of those additional comments and place them on our latest news sections. As always, our thanks to Donna Reid from our reception team, who takes the time every month to collate all of those very lovely comments and reviews. These can of course be fully trusted, and accepted as reality.

If there is ever any element of guest dissatisfaction whatsoever, then I would always ask please that any guest with any complaint, no matter how small, contacts me personally to discuss. My email- nicholas@balbirnie.co.uk Should you wish to personally discuss- My personal mobile 07768 958041

Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I and two friends had an overnight at the beautiful Balbirnie House Hotel. The rooms were well equipped and homely feel about them. The grounds of the hotel are well kept and great for walking with a craft shop in the grounds too. The cream tea was delicious with scrummy homemade scone, cream and jam. We had canapes served in the bar with our pre-dinner drinks whilst looking at the menus and then dinner in The Orangery was divine. The fillet steaks were cooked to perfection and the desserts were to die for. Nice setting and very attentive staff. Would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Hello Mags,

I am chuffed in the extreme to hear that you enjoyed your steak!!! As is Executive Chef Mark Lindsey. We are so very proud at Balbirnie of our highly valued 20 year purchasing relationship with David Smith of our local J Henderson’s Butchers, and their supply to Balbirnie over all these years, of the finest Aberdeen Angus Limousin cross steaks. It is said that these steaks are better than Japanese Kobe beef, and it won’t be this hotelier who disagrees with that.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

We booked rooms for ourselves and my parents-in-law for a couple of nights. Service was outstanding, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. The hotel itself is beautiful whether the public areas or the bedrooms. We enjoyed an enormous room with lovely en suite. Despite the room's size it was warm and cosy. Everywhere is scrupulously clean. We ate in The Bistro both nights and the food was both excellent and very good value, too. Breakfasts in the very elegant surroundings of The Orangery were wonderful. "Best porridge I've ever had" was my wife's verdict.
The downsides? Nothing of any importance. The hotel stands in extensive grounds but these are owned by the local council so jogging/cycling/dog-walking members of the public are continually passing through. There is no gym or other leisure facilities if that sort of thing is important for you. Markinch is close to Glenrothes which is not exactly a hot-ticket tourist destination but it is central Fife, so St Andrews, the East Neuk, Edinburgh, Dundee and Perth are all within striking distance as is the very pretty and historic village of Falkland.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

We are absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our Head Housekeeper Izzy Docherty is always over the moon to hear the words ‘scrupulously clean’.

Your comments about our location are correct. Whilst we are a few minutes of Glenrothes in one direction, in the other we are adjacent to The Howe of Fife, and all the rest of what Fife has to offer. Having lived here now for 20 years I have very much come to appreciate the magnificence of the area, and the sincerity and charm of our people.

Glenrothes itself is well worth a drive around in the summer months, boasting a truly incredible and most colourful array of artistic floristry. In 2011 it was jaw-dropping.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

Was taken here as a surprise in Decemeber. I was immediately impressed by the surrounding and how stunning the building was. The staff were very helpful and a porter took us to our room. The rooms were very homely, clean and spacious. They had large, comfortable beds, flatscreen TVs etc.

The food was absolutely amazing- great menu to choose from.The service was top notch.

I really enjoyed my stay here and would reccommend it!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Calum_2007

Hello Calum,

It is very encouraging indeed to have received such a Complimentary review in particular from such an enthusiastic TripAdvisor reviewer, and I am overjoyed that you considered your meal to be amazing. The proof of the pudding!!!

Best wishes, Nicholas Russell/ Hotel Manager/ Balbirnie House/ 1992 - Present

Also consider these accommodations in or near Markinch
3.1 km away
2.8 km away
Travelodge Glenrothes
Travelodge Glenrothes
#2 of 9 in Glenrothes

Been to Balbirnie House? Share your experiences!