“Ex-Pats BEWARE!”
Review of Los Corrales

Los Corrales
Cuisines: Costa Rican, Central American
Reviewed 13 May 2016 via mobile

The food here is bland but my husband and I have visited this restaurant several times on or way to San Miguel because we enjoyed the ambiance of the jungle like setting. Much to our dismay, we discovered that the owner was charging us more than the Tico patrons because she believed us both to be gringos.

My husband is actually a Cedula carrying Tico as his mother is Costa Rican. Needless to say, he was furious when he discovered that the lady was price gauging us. She overcharged us for several of our menu items. When my husband questioned her as to why she charged us more for our guacamole than was listed on the menu, she said it was because she gave us a larger portion (which we did not request). We also observed that all the locals were paying the standard 1,000 colones for their beer (my husband saw her receipt book) but she charged him 1,300 colones instead. This particular incident occurred last August but my husband gave her a second chance a few days ago.

He ordered his beer from the lady's husband who then turned to his wife and asked her in Spanish (wrongfully assuming that my husband does not speak Spanish) "how much do we charge him?" She told him to charge 1,300 colones. My husband laid down 1,000 colones, expressed his dissatisfaction for her business practices, and walked out with his beer (which was not very cold). It is clear that she price gauges ex-pats.

There are several other good options in the area that I would recommend instead. The bar directly East of this establishment is much better, has colder beer, and does not discriminate against Caucasians.

1  Thank Tiffiney W

Reviewed 13 April 2016

Our group of seven (two families) were lucky to have enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Los Corrales on a very-warm end of March afternoon. The sole person - Dona Denise? - handling our orders and the kitchen, managed our drinks and meals very well. We loved the fruit drinks, so refreshing on a such a hot day, and our meals were so flavorful and beautifully presented. I especially liked my flattened, fried plantains with an array of sides including fantastic guacamole. The setting was lovely as well. Hope you enjoy it too!

Reviewed 5 March 2016

During our stay at Playa San Miguel, we asked locals for recommendations and Los Corrales was mentioned more than once. It was pretty easy to find in Pueblo Nuevo, and we enjoyed a good lunch there after our fun tour of Butterfly Mike's Jungle Butterfly Farm nearby.
The restaurant is in back of the bar, but clean with open air dining. The menu had a good variety of choices. The owner (our server) was very friendly, but it's helpful to know some Spanish and enjoy a relaxed meal. We all felt the lunch was tasty and reasonably priced, and would recommend Los Corrales for a casual meal. Am including a photo of our dining area, as the one picture of the sign on the front doesn't do the place justice.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Yum, this place is so good! It features local cuisine that you won't find in tourist haunts, so be ready to try something new and go with the flow. The decor is nothing special, but the experience is down to earth and true to the area. Highly recommended if you're nearby! It helps if you can at least somewhat communicate in Spanish when ordering.

Reviewed 17 May 2013

Dona Denise is a great cook and always with a smile! I live down the road from Los Corrales and every time we stop by to eat in the restaurant or have a few cold beers at the bar, she welcomes us with open arms! This is a typical place, true Costa Rican cuisine and culture. Don't be surprised if someone stops by on horseback! And don't expect a five star experience just because of a five star rating, it gets it because for what it is, it is the best possible as a local "joint"! Simple and rustic you will see locals stopping by chatting it up and playing pool in the back room. Some nights there is live music. Food is always fresh and the portions are huge...keep in mind you are paying around $6-8 dollars for very fresh and deliciously prepared meal! If you are the type of traveler that judges a place from the outside and walks away from anything that looks slightly below par, step inside and give this place a try! You won't be disappointed. If you like to explore and love to try new things...you will love Los Corrales and the typical environment. I feel bad for the tourists who come to this area and cling to the expat places just because they are worried about a language barrier and immersing themselves in the area because they really miss out on one of the most charming places in the area! I recently had an amazing filet of fish in herbs, insanely delicious fresh guacamole and crispy crispy fries. A new neighbor to the area commented that his hamburger was better than many he had had in the states. Each time I eat here I beyond satisfied with my food! Thanks Denise! Can't wait for the next meal with you!!!