All reviewsinfinity pooloutdoor showercosta ricabeach barevery morningfresh fruitget awayplaying pooldelicious foodseafoodan adventureall kindskind hostswatching the sunsetwheel drive vehiclewealth of informationfabulous hosts
Reviewed 27 January 2017

Thankfully my wife and I had 3 weeks to explore Costa Rica. Traveling throughout the Northern half of the country was beautiful but was too commercial for us. We found our new home away from home at Cristal Azul!! I can only try to describe in words how special this place is for us. The approach to this remarkable destination is where the excitement begins as you wind up a dirt road through the jungle. Upon arrival, the tree cover opens as you peer off into the Pacific Ocean. It keeps getting better as you meet 2 of the most lovely people Henner and Zene, the owners of the property. From that moment on we knew we had met family members for life. The accommodations, local knowledge, and all around ambiance is the off the beaten path Costa Rica we were looking for. Thank you!!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

Where do we start? From the moment we started communicating with Zene she gave us incredible travel tips and advice, perfect directions and let us know that we definitely needed our little Suzuki to get up the drive, yes!! After all aren't we here for a little adventure? When we drove in we couldn't believe the spectacular view, and then we met our hosts and instantly felt welcome and right at home! Their staff are incredible, trustworthy (we never locked anything, even tho a safe and key to our cabina was provided), we preferred the ocean breeze and natural sound effects. We have nothing but amazing things to say! Details, seperate fresh towels for beach pool and shower, homemade organic shampoo etc. I could go on, but please, just check it out for yourself!!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2016

Wow, what a wonderful place. This boutique hotel is simply stunning from the panoramic 180 degree beautiful view and infinity pool to Zene and Henner, the gorgeous couple that run it.
I have never felt so at home - they were so welcoming, so helpful and so kind to me. Sadly I was only in the hotel for one night, but had I known it existed, I would have stayed for the whole two weeks. Off the beaten track, this hotel is an unexpected little piece of heaven, with the hosts to match and I cannot recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

I cannot write enough wonderful things about our vacation at Cristal Azul Boutique Hotel. To say it is a slice of paradise is certainly true. The views from the hotel are spectacular, the chef made 5 star meals each day, our villa was beautiful and offered everything we could possibly want. My husband and I were delighted to hear and see (in that order) the howler monkeys. What a treat!!! Our hosts were great, we really enjoyed getting to know them. The infinity pool was wonderful and offered a nice respite at the end of the day. We will most certainly go back!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robin B
Reviewed 18 June 2016

Thank you Zene and Henner for an unforgettable trip!! Cristal Azul far surpassed any of our expectations. Getting there is half the adventure and once you arrive you will be mesmerized by the views, sounds and peaceful setting. Nestled on a lush mountain, overlooking the most stunning views of Playa San Miguel, Cristal Azul felt like our very own private home for a week. I highly recommend visiting during the "rainy" season. Everything was lush and in full bloom, butterflies were everywhere and the only rain we had were a few evening storms that passed quickly but were stunning to watch from the Rancho. The temperatures during our stay were perfect. The food was far more superb than any 5-star resort. Be sure to eat at Locos Cocos, Henner's place on the beach and have his famous ceviche, it truly is the best!! His fish tacos were delicious as well. The staff were gracious and lovely. Zene & Henner are fantastic hosts and we enjoyed getting to know them so very much. We traveled with our 8 year old daughter who loved the beautiful pool, resident doggies, the Rancho's pool table and many games, as well as, the monkey's that said hi each day. I really can not say enough good things about this hidden gem. Our stay here will go down as one of our most favorite of all time and we will most certainly return!! Until next time Zene and Henner, thank you so incredibly much for sharing your piece of paradise with us!! MUCHAS GRACIAS

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
enez, Owner at Cristal Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Christina, we had SO much fun with your family! You truly captured every magical moment that goes into creating a fabulous family vacation and went with the flow with such ease during the unpredictable moments of the early rainy season! You blended a perfect mix of adventure and down time, culture and creature comfort! Cocktails in the evening were a joy listening to your stories of the days adventures that a few times lingered into early morning chats with us at the private bar and Sophie snoozing on the sofa with Suzy and Tugo to keep her company! Your enthusiasm to experience new things was amazing and love of Costa Rica and the Pura Vida lifestyle was evident by weeks end! I am sure we will see you again down here on the beach! We cannot thank you enough for following the tips we provided prior to your arrival, as I am sure you know now, they made your arrival and time here a bit more pleasant and enjoyable! Thanks you for choosing to stay with us up on the hill...we take great pride in being the only Costa Rica owned, award winning hotel in town and our years of experience here guarantee all of our guests a truly authentic and memorable time in Playa San Miguel! Plus, we are pretty fun people and love hosting you in paradise! One of the most amazing things about running this little hotel in paradise has been the incredible guests, such as yourselves, that we have had the good fortune to meet and are so happy to now call friends. Pura Vida!!!!