“Very true to the spirit of Ghibli”

Ghibli Museum Mitaka
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 54.54*
and up
Pre-Order request for Studio Ghibli Museum...
Ranked #1 of 52 things to do in Mitaka
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The brainchild of award-winning Japanese animation director Hayao Miyazaki, this museum includes a theater showing film excerpts, a whimsical children's play zone, a rooftop garden, and exhibits related to his movies, including Spirited Away.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I'm very glad that I heard over a year ago that tickets to the Ghibli museum needed to be purchased several months ahead of time, because it would have been devastating to come to Tokyo and miss this museum. For those of you who were unable to purchase tickets on the official site, I'd highly recommend checking out Bridge Japan since they were able to purchase tickets on our behalf for a surcharge (very worth it, plus they mail the tickets to your home). In our case, we had so much difficulty getting tickets through the official page (the site kept crashing on March 10) that going through Bridge was a life saver and a great insurance policy in case the official channel didn't work.

The museum is located outside of the city centre, about a 15 minute walk from Kichijoji station on the Inokashira line (you can take an express train to this station from Shibuya, or the non-express which maybe adds an additional 10 minutes or so). We had no difficulty finding the museum from the station by using Google maps.

We got there for the 10AM time slot since we heard that this is the least busy time (also, weekdays are supposedly less busy than weekends), however I'm not sure if it actually makes that much of a difference since the tickets always seem to be sold out regardless of when you visit. There was a lineup of people waiting to get in at 10AM, however it moved pretty quickly and steadily and we only had to wait for about 10 minutes or so before getting inside. Despite already having our tickets, they asked to see the passport of the person who made the purchase, so don't forget to bring along a piece of identification.

Note that pictures inside the museum are not allowed (unfortunate since it's truly a spectacular sight to behold), however pictures can be taken outside.

Once we got inside the museum, there was quite a big crowd but despite what some reviewers have mentioned, it was not overwhelming and it wasn't big enough to take away from our enjoyment. People were very respectful and would move through the various displays and rooms in an orderly fashion, and we were able to see everything without feeling too slowed down or too rushed. There were several different rooms, each with a different exhibit. For instance, one room was all about the old-school way of animating. Another area of depicted the animators' work spaces and showed the journey from initial sketches to animated feature. There was an exhibition dedicated entirely to the food showcased in the Ghibli films, along with recreations of kitchens from a few of the movies (really cool as an adult, but I can imagine it was even cooler for children). On the top floor, there's a giant plush recreation of the cat bus from My Neighbour Totoro, which children (under age 12) are allowed to climb into (I was super jealous). There is also a "reading room" with a huge selection of books for purchase, and the coolest little gift shop which incredibly unique Ghibli-themed souvenirs. The highlight of the visit was the 15-minuted original animated short screened exclusively to visitors at the Ghibli museum. It didn't have any spoken words, which makes it easy to enjoy regardless of whether or not you know Japanese.

Overall, it took about 2 hours to get through the museum at a leisurely pace. It was a magical experience, very true to the spirit of Ghibli, and I'd recommend this sight to anyone who has ever had any interest in Ghibli films. My only disappointment was not being able to take pictures, but it was so worth it nonetheless.

3  Thank Natasha I
Write a ReviewReviews (1,585)
All reviews
in 9 reviews
"rooftop garden"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

The museum is one of a kind which is totally worth visiting. It's not big but the details there made me very happy! It's like a cute house with different rooms (exhibits). Adults and kids can have fun there alike.
Don't worry the staff there speak good English.
Tip: Look up how to book the tickets beforehand though!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I grew up watching the ghibli movies and when I booked my flight to Japan, I knew I was going to have to come to the museum. I'm glad that they now have the online booking option but it did take me an hour to purchase them. I went online on the 10th the month before and right when they were available(Japan time) to book the tickets and the site kept crashing but I didn't give up and I kept trying and I got the date/time that I wanted. The museum is located about 10 minutes walk from the station and it was definitely a nice walk. It is located next to or I guess inside a park. The building of the museum is cute with a huge totoro right outside of where you line up to enter the museum. You cannot take pictures inside the museum but you can take pictures outside (there are a few sculptures outside). The museum is quit small and we finished about a little more than an hour. There's a short film inside their small theater. There's also an outdoor cafe and souvenir shop inside. I wouldn't come here again if I visit Japan but definitely worth a visit if you're there.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

you have to book every 10th of each month for the following month.i.e I had to book on 10/2 to get tickets for 31/3! (NO tickets sold at the entrance) very hard to book because the website is crashing all the time, so get ready, be patient! then I could not login (need email address, tel and a 4 digits pw) to print my QR code but luckily I made a print screen of my BOOKING NUMBER and they were able to find out my booking at the entrance, I was really worried because I read some messages on forums that they won't allow admission for people without the QR code printed. DO not forget your passport to get in. It is a cute, small museum, the ticket includes a 15 minutes short movie...