“Pub grub”

Gill's Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 18 Restaurants in Athenry
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

A nice up and coming family run business, lovely food served in a bright and friendly atmosphere, Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

Hi folks we are here now for food and I must say lovely bar /restaurant but very poor service we ordered a salad and soup and baby bowl and it took 2 mins to come out then adults were served 1st won't b in a hurry back a things down guys

1  Thank anthony322
Reviewed 24 April 2018

Saturday night was our first time in Athenry and therefore our first time to visit this fabulous Restaurant.

We had a couple of drinks in a local bar, mentioned that we were looking for a nice meal and were recommend to Gill's.

I cannot fault this Restaurant. The service, quality and selection of food were all excellent. All at a very reasonable cost.

I highly recommend Gill's and would have no hesitation in returning if in the area.

Reviewed 17 April 2018

Seating two at lunch time. When ordering a chowder, portions of fried mushrooms and fries with a goat cheese salad I made very clear that I needed it be without the red onion that was listed as part of the salad on the description. It came with red peppers. I can't have them either as I have an intolerance to it, as to onions of any type. I told the waitress, a young, very understanding and professional girl. I explained that I did not mentioned peppers as these are not suppose to be there in the first place and she, patiently returned the salad to the kitchen. She returned some 10 min later with a salad, this time with tomatoes (seems like the chef has a chromatic fetish) but I have no problem with tomatoes so I bring the first bite and get the strong smell of red peppers. I know I cannot eat that. I disturbed the salad with my fork to find a piece of onion at the bottom. Meal ruined by the smell and perspective of a near scape from a digestive colic. I eat the fries and mushrooms, leaving my partner with nothing to accompany his chowder but too afraid of ordering anything else, not trusting that they'll serve me something I can eat, pretending that is something else. We did not wanted to have dessert or coffee either.
When going to pay, the waitress asked us how did it go and I told her about the salad, that was left complete and uneaten. The waitress then went to talk to some woman and brought back the bill that INCLUDED the salad that, if eaten, would have ruined my holiday. We asked the item to be taken out of the bill an the girl, a poor embarrassed girl doing her job, went again to talk to that same woman and came back, no yes with the salad item edited from the bill.
What disturbs me the most is that not only they pretended to have made a salad with no onion the first time but how they pretended (waiting time included) to have made a new one on the second time. A loaded gun in the wrong hands.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

My visit to Ireland and particularly Athenry in County Galway would not be complete without a good Guinness.

The barman served me a very good one and was kind enough to explain what makes them vary in quality from pub to pub.