See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

I booked this hotel because looked nice on internet. Rooms are nice but you should go only in summer. The room was so cold that I got ill and I’m still healing.

I went to dinner in the restaurant and is very good to recommend. I would go there for dinner or launch but not to sleep.

This Experience made me much more cautious about hotels because this disappointed me. What disappointed me even more that when I said about it at checkout they did’t even apologize...

Last night I was in Alessandria for business again (as I will be at least 4-5 times per year in the future) but I went to another hotel even if this one is better positioned for my needes because I don’t trust the room will be warm.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2016 via mobile

What an awesome Blessing it was to stay in the Castle Oviglio hotel for two days. Dating back to the 1300's surrounded by a quint Oviglio Village situated in the Italian wine region. A perfect fusion - past and the present. Staff is very friend and helpful. Nice breakfast with good strong Italian coffee. Rooms and bathrooms are big and spacious.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2015

We have stayed twice at the Castello di Oviglio. Found it by chance the first time, and made a point to come back. Rooms are fabulous, massive, hugely high ceilings, modern and well equipped bathrooms, some with jacuzzis. Each one is different, a bit quirky but excellent value. The property is very quiet with its own large grounds and in a small village. The 4 course dinner was superb, it a bit overly copious for most of us. The first course of steak tartare with seasonal white truffles was a meal in itself - and then there were three more courses! It seems to be primarily a wedding venue, but if there is no wedding, then it is a lovely place for a romantic weekend or a get away with friends.

Room Tip: Moncalvo and Visconti are both lovely, spacious rooms with stupendous high windows and ceilings.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2015

We stopped off for one night on our drive down to Umbria. This is an old, traditional type of castle with impressive interior. It is set in some lovely grounds in a quiet location not too far from the motorway. However it is in desperate need of renovation to bring it back up to the level it deserves.
We had a junior suite (Migliara) where both the room and bathroom were large. The floor standing, antiquated air-conditioning unit was extremely noisy and made no impact on the very high temperatures which remained at an extremely uncomfortable 28°C. In fact the whole building is extremely poorly ventilated, remaining hot and stuffy.
We remained in the hotel for dinner, which was a disappointing experience. As per other reviews it is clear that their major business comes from wedding receptions. This is understandable but meant that whilst we were there we had no access to the garden so had to take our pre-dinner drinks in the dark and very hot downstairs eating area. Provision should be made that at least some part of the garden is available to guests even if a wedding reception is taking place.
The menu choice was poor and overcomplicated with the resulting food being bland and not at all up to the quality of Italian cuisine. It would be much better to have a simple menu of traditional Italian dishes made from local ingredients. The wine list was similarly disappointing.
Breakfast, taken in the same downstairs eating area also provided a poor selection and quality.
A shame that such an impressive building, set in a lovely location, is let down by its run down state. We were due to stay one night on our return journey but cancelled due to this initial very disappointing experience.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2015 via mobile

Agree with other comments that the hotel is shabby chic .. perhaps more shabby than chic ... but they had a large wedding reception that started around 7pm and the stragglers were still keeping us awake at 4.30am !!

Also enjoyed the church bells going off on the half hour every half hour ... not

The restaurant to be fair was good on terms of weird atmosphere and quality of food but then they just left us for 30 mins waiting for dessert so we gave up and went to bed. ..

AVOID