“Peaceful Serenity!”

Royal Davui Island Resort
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful 7 night stay at Royal Davui. We are a couple in our early 30’s without children and are trying to travel to beautiful locations around the world. We have been to Tahiti, Bora Bora, the Maldives and Bali, so Fiji was definitely on our list of ‘must go’ places.

We did a lot of research before coming to Fiji and the exceptional service started before our trip as I talked with Chris several times via online chat and he was always available and was so prompt answering all of my questions! We were looking for an adult only resort with white sand beaches, wonderful service and privacy. We especially wanted a place away from all the touristy places on Fiji with luxury accommodations and a chance to see real Fiji life. I must say, Royal Davui did not disappoint!

We flew out of LAX to Nadi, an easy, direct 10 hour flight. From Nadi we had a layover and then were transported by small plane to Pacific Harbor. The flight is only about 25 mins, however we took the ‘scenic route’ which did cost extra, but we were willing to pay to get amazing views over Viti Levu. Our pilot even flew over Royal Davui so we could get some amazing aerial shots! Do note that there is an 18kg limit on your ‘check in’ luggage and the size of the luggage maters so see the website for the specific requirements, I don’t remember them. Our luggage was a bit larger, but not a problem getting onto the plane. As soon as we arrived at Pacific Harbor we were taken on a boat over to Royal Davui Island. As we were arriving by boat, you can see the beautiful island and its neighboring island, Beqa. It was stunning! The transfer was very easy and smooth!

Stepping off the boat we were greeted by one of the resort managers, Julie. She welcomed us with a warm smile as she fed the fish in the very fish filled lagoon. We were then greeted by the staff with a wonderful cheerful welcome song and a cool drink! It really made us feel so welcomed and was a wonderful start to our vacation. We had booked a Deluxe Pool Vale but we were pleasantly upgraded to the Premium Vale. We stayed in Vale 11, which is a bit of a walk from the main area, but we absolutely did not mind, as we enjoyed the walk. It is a very small island and very private and as others have said, very intimate.

There are only 16 vales on the island, all with amazing views, a plunge pool, a large deck for dining and sunbathing. Our plunge pool was heated perfectly and was wonderful. The living area and bedroom both have floor to ceiling windows/doors which completely open up the beautiful lagoon with fresh breezes. There is a bar in the living area with a refrig and sink! I really loved the large water filter that probably holds over a gallon of water at the top of the bar, never a worry about running out of drinking water. The bedroom is air-conditioned and they recommend you leave the door closed for optimal coolness. A few steps up and you are in a large, spacious bathroom with very modern amenities. and the view of the lagoon. There is also an overhead ‘sun roof’ that opens up and brings lots of light into the bathroom. Housekeeping somehow slips in and out of your room 2x a day and replenishes the supplies. The Davui Daily arrives in your room every night- it has a proverb of the day, activities for the next day, a welcome to those arriving and a sad farewell to those leaving. There is also the menu of the next days lunch and dinner. There are facts about the island or Beqa, times of sunrise and sunset as well as a piece about a staff member every day. I really enjoyed getting these at night, another small added touch to make this place special.

I cannot say enough about the wonderful, amazing staff at Royal Davui. Many are locals from the neighboring island, Beqa, and they are so friendly and warm and are always smiling. We really got to know each of them and enjoyed hearing where they were from and their amazing stories. We were always greeted with a ‘BULA’ and a smile! Jale, Lau and Sertiri were our main wait staff and I cannot thank them enough for the outstanding service!! Meals were 3 times a day but each offering was for several hours so you could eat early or late, whatever you wanted. At breakfast you would choose your lunch and dinner, each offering 2 appetizers and 2-3 main courses with a choice of dessert. The menu for the day is also printed on the Daily Davui, which you get in your room the night before. There are 3 main chefs, and we thought the food was wonderful. We never, ever went hungry and in fact were quite full after every meal. If there was something on the menu you wanted to sample, they would pleasantly bring it out to you in addition to your main meal. We did the private dining one night when the Beqa Boy Band was playing in the background…it was lovely!

As far as activities, we actually did quite a lot of them, although we really didn’t plan on it.
Daily activities vary but every day you can snorkel, either guided or on your own. There is happy hour daily. Depending on the day, activities include the Beqa Band, Kava ceremony, Crab race, coconut and cooking demonstrations.

Beach/Snorkeling- There are 3 beaches around the island, with beautiful white sand. Be sure to bring your reef shoes as sometimes it is rocky trying to enter the water in some areas. They provide you with mask and fins. The masks are a bit worn but I had no problem snorkeling at all! The main beach is the largest and it is easily accessible from the pool area. We walked it several times, picked up shells and hermit crabs and watched the baby sharks swim around…don’t worry, they don’t bite! It isn’t a large beach but plenty big considering often times you are the only ones on the beach! We actually enjoyed the other beaches more because they were more secluded and we did more exploring. There is a Love Shack Lunch you can do by one of the beaches, but we did not do this. The snorkeling is amazing, especially near the dock! Tons of fish and underwater life! One couple we met actually snorkeled around the island every day!

SCUBA- There is a PADI dive center on the island, and after doing a ‘discovery dive’ in the Maldives, I just had to become certified. So I took my online class prior to coming to Royal Davui and I am now a certified diver!! Vinaka Vakalevu to Bilo, my amazing SCUBA teacher!! I met Bilo on day 1 and he actually stayed on the island to help complete my certification over 3 days. On day 1 we did the confined water dive and open water 1. Then day 1, open water 2 and 3 and day 4, open water 4. He was such an amazing and thorough teacher, I really appreciate that he was so comprehensive! The lagoon at Royal Davui is amazing; a ton of beautiful fish and coral, a few baby sharks, I even saw a turtle and eel!

Fishing- This was for my husband, who really wanted to try fishing. We went out on a really, really calm day and only did the lagoon fishing but unfortunately did not catch anything. It was definitely not for lack of trying because Jale in the marine center tried so hard, we were so blown away with the effort he put in for us! We absolutely loved it, boating around the lagoon in the sun! Again amazing views of the island and Beqa.

Church Service and Village Visit- We wanted very much to experience real Fiji and interact with the locals, so on Sunday we went to the church service, where we were very warmly welcomed. Bilo took us over and sat beside us during the service to explain what was going on. We were also greeted by Lau, who also works at the resort, lives in the village and sings in the choir. Beautiful, harmonic voices were the highlight of the service! I recommend you bring a long skirt for the visit, or you can do what I did and wear a sarong, which is out of respect for the locals. I was given a sarong by one of the locals on the way to church that day, but ended up purchasing one for myself on the second visit to the village. Also cover your shoulders, no cutoffs. For the men, shorts are ok. Also note, when getting off the boat, you may have to wade in ankle deep water, no big deal but you might want to know if you plan on wearing pants! We did the village visit on another day and just loved it! The village is so peaceful and you are taken to the school where the children are just full of smiles and so happy to see you. They put on a singing show for you and wow, the voices of these kids will blow you away!! There is an opportunity to buy small souvenirs such as tapa cloths, kava bowls, and jewelry. We shipped a box of school supplies prior to our arrival and were able to bring it over to the village that day.
A special thanks to Jale who took a side trip for us to a neighboring village so that we could see the medical clinic. We spoke for a while with the NP in the clinic and it was a very special treat for us.

Sand Spit- This is a must do…if you do nothing else, do this if you can! Times will vary depending on the tide but the sand spit is a sand bar near a Japanese shipwreck. It is so peaceful and beautiful. They pack lunch or breakfast, depending on what time you go, and you are there for 2 hours to enjoy your peace of heaven in the ocean! Snorkeling isn’t great there but it was so fun swimming around the sand bar, taking pictures and having lunch!! Make sure you load up on sunscreen, and they will take care of the rest…any drinks you want, water and a cell phone in case you want to come back early!

Spa- The spa is in a small Vale. We did a couples massage here on our second day, and it was perfect to help from our long trip. My massage was great, perfect pressure and wonderful smelling oils! The day before we left, there was a crab race and we won another massage, perfect way to end the trip!

Departure from the island was kinda sad, as we had a chance to personally get to know the staff. They sing another beautiful farewell song and again, they just made us feel so special up to the very end!

A special note about the managers, Julie and Darryl- they are wonderful! They live on the island and we often saw them before dinner and sometimes at breakfast. Every day they would ask how we were, if there was anything they could do for us, anything to make our trip more enjoyable. Julie even offered to take me out to scuba with her one day! On another day, they were doing work around the island near our Vale, and as I was coming into my room from breakfast, I immediately got a call from Julie asking if we could hear the noise from our Vale. They specifically planned to do it while we were out and not in our room!! It is this level of service, from not only the managers but the entire staff that make Royal Davui such the amazing place that it is!

Vinaka Vakalevu!!!

Room Tip: All rooms have a beautiful lagoon view. Rooms 10-12 are at the other end of the island and 1-5 clos...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PegasusStar

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Well, i went to Davui in January 2012 with my family and family friends. It was such a great trip and the environment is great. food was awesome and service was great. We were greeted by the very friendly n polite General Managers-Darryl and Joyce. Also I like the Marine guys and the music people who sings at night with the guest! all these people make my trip feel so relax and safe, i don't need to worry about anything!!!!!!
i'll definiatly come back!
ivy

Room Tip: Room number 1-3 is great because it's very close to the bar and dinner area! Awesome! i live in...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We experienced the beauty of the South Pacific (Fijian & Tahitian Islands) 3 years ago and it changed our lives and marriage with such impact that we return every year. We have stayed at some of the finest luxury resorts known for their impeccable service level; e.g. Four Seasons, Relais & Chateaux, etc. We experienced a new level of accommodations that has set a new standard for us. The accommodations are what sets this resort apart from all other resorts we have stayed with. The staff went out of their way to make sure we had something very hard to find in Fiji for a special celebration we do every year.

We stayed in Premium Vale #3 which had spectacular sunsets. If you can get Premium Vale #5 it is the most private. The sand spit is a fun experience and we had a lot of fun on Kava night with the locals. The normal Kava ceremony is 1 hour. We drank Kava for 4 hours and showed the locals how to "Go Big or Go Home" as we say in Texas. We had a lot of fun with the staff and other couples.

Ask for the chefs special pasta. It is not on the menu and it is fabulous. We ordered that multiple times. I would recommend the helicopter or sea plane to get to the island. The resort provided small plane and boat ride made my wife sick.

We would recommend this place for rest, relaxation and amazing accommodations.

Room Tip: If you can get Premium Vale #5 it is the most private.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steven B
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We are a couple from Hong Kong and decided to visit Fiji because we needed a break from the stresses of daily life. "Wow" is probably the first reaction while we arrived the resort - lush green surroundings, crystallised water and tropical wind!! It is a very remote and small island so you feel secluded as well as secured (no buggy is needed to get into restaurant and marine centre).

Since the resort is not very full (we had another 3-4 couples during our 6-day stay) we got upgrade to a sunset villa and in retrospect we just couldn't say how much we appreciated it. My hubby and I were looking at the amazing sunset for over an hour everyday and we never get enough! We never feel bored during our stay, we snorkelled off the jetty and beach(which is better), kayaking around the island, went on the sandpit picnic (awesome and it is one of the once-in-a-lifetime experience for us), visited the nearby local village (runs on 3 times a week, so please check the GM). We were BUSY actually but very happy. Food is inclusive in the package and overall we satisfied with the choices in the menu and quality. They made great Thai style fried rice! But if you are a snack person, do bring your some snacks with you before arriving the island as it is hard to get food between meals

On top of it, we always feel spoiled by the friendly and amazing people there who always smile and endeavored to serve you better. I didn't get the same experience with staff in other franchised big name resort and I definitely prefer the people in Royal Davui. Thanks again Darryl and Joyce and your team of great staff! I would recommend anyone to go if you enjoy tropical weather and looking for serenity and peace of mind.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CBCBUX
Reviewed 21 February 2012

As I like to say, better late than never for writing this review.

For our honeymoon in 2011, we elected to divide our stay in Fiji with 4 nights at the Likuliku Lagoon Resort then hopped over to the Royal Davui Island Resort for our remaining stay to experience more of Fiji.

The hotel sent a boat over to pick us up and the day trip was well worth it, the vibe was more seculded as it is is a private island with very few bungalows so you have tremendous peace and quiet with the staff ratio.

F&B service was amazing and if you wanted something special ordered, the staff was alway ready to accomodate anything you wanted that day. They grow their own hot chili peppers on property which was a nice touch.

Spa services were minimal, I got a massage there in one of the bungalows one day and we also swam around the entire island one day snorkeling which was a ton of fun. They also have a book room that you can take and leave books behind.

Our suite had an outdoor plunge pool and spectacular views each night of the stars after cocktails and dinner. Although extremely expensive, this was all inclusive and was a perfect ending to our wedding and honeymoon excursion.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 10 in Sigatoka
19.8 km away
ULTIQA at Fiji Palms Beach Resort

Been to Royal Davui Island Resort? Share your experiences!