“Vegetarians NOT Welcome”

Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Woodhall Spa
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Looking at their menus online, I noticed very few vegetarian options which didn't mention pesto or parmesan (pesto typically is made with parmesan, which is not vegetarian as it's made using rennet from the stomachs of freshly-slaughtered new-born calves). I therefore emailed the Tea House to ask for clarification; some restaurants I've dealt with in the past have told me they refer to "parmesan" with a lower case "p" to denote it's not the real thing and therefore okay for vegetarians (which btw is still not acceptable as Parmesan is a protected designation of origin). Anyway, the situation definitely needed clarification so I emailed them ahead of our planned family visit. They didn't bother to respond.

So we arrived, were seated and we perused the menu. I asked our waitress whether the pesto and Parmesan were vegetarian and her answer was, "we can't guarantee that it is" - which to me says they just don't care. So basically, as a vegetarian, I had just one option on their menu. In this day and age I don't think that's good enough.

Also, we ordered coffee but it never arrived. After our desserts we seemed to have been forgotten about and after nearly half an hour waiting we gave up and went to pay. As the waitress made up our bill I mentioned the coffees never arrived but she didn't seem to care and didn't even apologise.

Even though the food was good, I doubt we'll be going back: there are plenty of wonderful places to eat in Woodhall Spa who treat their customers with a bit more respect.

2  Thank Whippetgal2

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I've been here a few times for morning coffee and cake and lunch now and every time a great experience, once inside it's a cosy bistro style restaurant which offers both sandwiches / cake and also an excellent choice of main meals and drinks.
The staff are attentive and friendly, the whole place is spotless and prices reasonable.
The best treat is to go before or after a film at the next door Kinema, or enjoy a walk into the village afterwards - be sure to book ahead at busy times!

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Me & some of my family visited this lovely tea house in the woods whilst we were staying locally in a log cabin. We sat outside as we had a muddy dog with us, but it was nice to know the place was dog friendly.

We had hot drinks and cakes which were all delicious and good prices. Staff were lovely. The place seemed really nice.

Would definitely visit again next time!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We always eat at The Tea House in the Woods when we are in the area and have never been disappointed.

We had a beautiful lunch on Sunday 1st April, the menu was excellent, great choices, beautifully cooked and presented.

We love the atmosphere - The history, style and location of the building - It's something different.

The staff are attentive and professional, a real credit to the establishment.

Relaxed dining with excellent service and quality food.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Nice place to go with the dog. Good service I would go back.

Tea good, cake decent and server pleasant.