We spent only one night at The Golf, attending a large dinner with about 120 guests. The room itself was very good, with our only criticism being an incredibly slow filling cistern in the bathroom. (It's a pain having to schedule flushes of the loo!) However, it was other aspects that were deficient such that I would caution about holding a major function at the hotel.
Firstly, when people arrived during the afternoon, a number felt they might enjoy a tea, but were met with the answer that nothing was available, although the chef might be able to defrost a muffin from the deep freeze. Adjacent establishments did well!
Secondly, our 3 course set dinner started at 8 pm , but coffee wasn't served until about midnight, after which the first speeches were given. Either there wasn't enough staff, or the kitchen was incredibly slow in plating up the courses. Whatever the reason, since the wine service at table also suffered badly, it killed the fun aspects of the evening and the speakers had an uphill struggle as their audience was desperate to get to the bar or bed by that time.
Which brings me to my final comment - the bar prices. Although a bottle of wine was very reasonably priced (c£15) I did not expect to pay London prices of £4 a pint for beer. Perhaps there's an import duty into Lincolnshire!? It was a little alarming to be charged £9 for a pint of bitter and white wine spritze.
In sum, a fairly good hotel that needs to reassess its planning for major functions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 52 Bedroom Hotel, Built in 1880 and set in seven acres of gardens, lawns and woodlands, the hotel is ideally situated for the Woodhall Spa Golf Club, village and surrounding tourist sights. The Golf Hotel is currently under new management and under going a full refurbishment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms and Booking.com so you can book your The Golf Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Golf Hotel And Aqua Sante Spa
- The Golf Hotel & Aqua Sante Woodhall Spa
- Hotel Aqua Sante
- The Golf Hotel Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire