“Amazing food”
Review of Il Barbarossa

Il Barbarossa
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

Would definitely come back again
Food was amazing and the staff was very kind and could do nothing more for you.
Perfect spot for good wine and food, specially pasta.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

When I read all the emotional comments and superaltive rating , I decided to give a try to this place . The ambience is typical with some modern touch as you can find in other places, The welcome was warm ad delicate, the owner that supervise both dining room and kitchen was smiley and somehow (that is my impresion ) with the attitude to look friendly . We ordered antipasti , and that was nothing I will remember , all good but this is Puglia and you can get the same pratically at any corner.
Asking to see the wine list, he gave me a list and told " you pick the wine and I will tell you the price" well not the kind of things I would dream when going out with business partners.. Would it not be easier to put the prices on the list ? Anyhow the wine list is pratically monopole of a local grower, those bottles are covering pratically any free space. I opted for a Prosecco , and I asked if that was good, his reply " all our wines are good" just a little pretentious .
When we got the pasta , it was so salty that my colleague pratically did not touch it . I tried to tell the owner that the pasta was too salty , his comment " that's the way how it should be"......
Or I was unlucky or this place sells more smiles than quality, pretending to be always right and perfect, it does not mean you are , already thinking to be right , it is the first mistake
Bye bye and good luck, the region has enough other places to avoid it

Reviewed 30 June 2017 via mobile

Excellent food for dirt cheap price! Huge servings and great service. Highly recommended if in the area.

Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

Staying on Via Cavour in Gioia del Colle we were lucky to find this restaurant on our first night. Frederico the owner and chef was charming and spoke a little English. We had a bottle if Polvanera Rosato and a lovely aperativo platter of cheese, pastries and proscuttio.

We followed up with pasta. Asparagus and shrimp - AMAZING!! and Pappardelle al Porcini - TO DIE FOR!!

We would have loved to order dessert - the table next to us had biscotto with ricotta and pear - but we were too full!

Frederico gave us some beautiful digestives - hazelnut liqueur!

We booked again for Thursday night and will bring our friends. We can't wait yo try the steak!!

Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

Walking up through 'downtown' Gioia Del Colle we happened upon Il Barbarossa and I recalled it rated well in Trip Advisor from previous reviewers. We went in and at about 7.40 were the only customers; some others came in a little later. We were welcomed cheerfully by our host, who does speak some English. We settled upon the suggested Pugliese Antipasti for 3 and were extremely satisfied in both senses. Beautiful local Gioia Del Colle cheese and meats and baking. Primi Piatti of Orichiette con Rape were stunning and our colleague enjoyed his Tagliata de Angus. Desserts of a chocolate mousse were also much enjoyed; light, textural & tasty. We dealt wi one bottle of local Gioia Del Colle white, and then one red Primitivo.
All in all a fantastic meal and much credit to the host and his restaurant.