3 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 29/01/22
Hotels.com
USD 231
Free cancellation until 29/01/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
ZenHotels.com
USD 145
PricelineUSD 216
Expedia.comUSD 231
eDreamsUSD 237
All reviews close to the airport sea pool small hotel molton brown toiletries hotel level every staff member madeira airport rooms are huge ten minute walk the hotel manager manor house each morning restaurant staff the cliff cold meats stayed here for a week superior room
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 November 2021

First of all, I don’t think the review by GrandTour751314 is overly fair – it’s a review which suggests they did not do any research at all on the hotel. It’s not a hotel to go to if you’re expecting lots of entertainment etc. It is a quiet place to go if you want to escape. They are also wrong to suggest it’s full of old people – we were there when they were, and we are in our 30s, as were another couple. The reason there’s no bus to Santa Cruz is that it’s a ten minute walk! You don’t need a bus.

We loved this hotel. The first thing to say is, we were nervous when booking up that the hotel is too close to the airport. It is close – but it doesn’t matter – there is only very minor noise from the airport. In fact, the noise from the planes is much louder in Santa Cruz than at the hotel. You cannot hear any noise inside. Do not let the airport put you off.

The service is brilliant – the reception staff are all very helpful. Especially the Carolinas (I think there are two of them) and Sandra. In the restaurant, the staff were also excellent. Especially Fabrizio. The breakfasts were good, with both hot and cold offerings. Evening meals in the restaurant (Hibiscus) were also very good, especially the steak and the red snapper.

The pools – the pool at hotel level was nice and quiet – if a little cold. Food and drink can be brought to the pool from the bar. The pool next to the sea is nice, but worth saying you do have to walk up/down a fair few stairs to get there. The hotel grounds are lovely and well cared for – lots of plants, flowers, plenty of birdlife.

In summary, this is a lovely hotel if you are looking for a really quiet escape, with excellent service and really good food. I’d say it’s a couples hotel, not a family hotel.

1  Thank Steven B
Reviewed 17 October 2021 via mobile

This hotel is NOT 5 stars maybe 3 for the views. They have one restaurant same workers it’s very sad. Breakfast 7-10 lunch 11-3pm and dinner 7-10pm NO snacks no vending no free water offered at dinner just horrible . It’s for very old people . Pool down by ocean is pretty needs updating though very rusty. It’s misleading I booked the hotel for the pool I asked if it’s bars down there they lied said yes it’s NOTHING there! You are $40-50 dollar cab ride from Funchal DONT stay here they don’t offer rides to Santa Cruz sad! Only pick up from airport food is not great . We got a complaint for enjoying music on our balcony so annoyed we stayed here! The staff is nice , they wouldn’t allow me to leave without paying entire 4 days so I was stuck or they said leave now (which I had no hotel then) I asked to leave the next day to try and find another hotel they said no! They did upgrade our room after I complained about the pool being so misleading. They advertise the pool people stay here for that pool but you can’t stay at pool long it’s so secluded no floats no drinks it’s like 3 flights of stairs to go back up and down omg! So upset I made the mistake by staying here and being very far from everything she wouldn’t let us eat breakfast when we arrived at 9am smh horrible Sandra said you can eat breakfast when you. CHeck out! It was so rude they didn’t offer anything except room upgrade Room is bland old bed very hard. Not comfortable we came from Sheraton Lisbon we were so disappointed you see the same workers and people old guest with walkers it’s not for lively people no entertainment here no music I woke up at 2am starving go downstairs they don’t have no snacks no nothing unreal. I paid $1000.00 for 3 nights I’m so upset! Dust on light switches this hotel is only good for leaving one night stay going to airport.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank GrandTour751314
Diogo Jardim Pita, Proprietário at Albatroz Beach & Yacht Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2021

Dear Mrs. Silvers,

Thank you for your review. In reading it we feel disappointed and frustrated. We would however like to clarify some of the points you brought up: Breakfast is served from 07.00 to 10.30am, lunch from 12.30 to 03.00pm and dinner from 07.00 to 10.00pm. This is clearly stated in the Room Directory. The natural swimming pool at sea level has no bar service only the fresh water one has bar and restaurant service as mentioned to you. We did take you and Mr. Silvers to Santa Cruz and back complimentary ( 15th at 06.45pm). As you mentioned you arrived at 9.00am and our official check-in is at 2.00pm. Obviously you were not entitled to have breakfast upon arrival unless paid for as an extra. Nevertheless and in spite the Hotel being very busy we offered you an early check-in at no extra cost at 10.00am! Later in the same day you were upgraded to a suite with two bath rooms and two varandas. Regarding the music on your balcony in the evening we had to inform you of the complain from the clients in the room below.

We are indeed very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us albeit we tried everything we could to please you.

Kind regards,
Diogo Jardim Pita

Albatroz Beach & Yacht Club

Reviewed 9 October 2021

This hotel is my all-time favorite place to be. The quality of the food, the staff and the beautiful surroundings. It is so beautiful at the natural sea-pools overlooking the Atlantic sea. I recommend this place for everyone!

Reviewed 20 September 2021 via mobile

We really enjoyed our time here. The rooms are smart and well appointed. They were fairly quiet, though not silent due to the tiled floors. We enjoyed sitting on our balcony and watching the world go by. Everything was very clean and tidy.

The hotel had great pool spaces that looked out over the sea including the sea pool with steps down so you cam swim in the ocean as well. We nearly always had these to ourselves. You can get drinks by the main pool via a telephone in the old bar, but service is variable depending on who is in the restaurant at the time. You won't find anything quite like the sea pool elsewhere.

It feels quite exclusive as there are so few other guests. We enjoyed the peace and quiet of the resort overall.

The restaurant didn't really do it for us. The meals we had were nice but the choice was a bit limited, and for instance there were no vegetarian options, but the waiter explained to others around us they could make vegetarian options according to their wishes. So the people around us chose something and the chef then refused because he didn't have the ingredients, so that was embarassing. My wife being pregnant had a choice of fizzy drinks or water - no mocktails or anything like that as it doesn't have a full bar, or bar man. Somehow, the experience wasn't quite as 5* as the rest of the hotel. But I re-iterate that what we ate was nice, and on other nights we ate out. (Good options around Machico).

The staff are what makes this place sing. They were amazing every time we interacted with them, recommending walks, and bringing some lost property to the airport for us. Every one of them was great, and made our stay lovely. Ordinarily I would have given 4* for this hotel, but the staff make it a 5*.

Our advice, stay in Funchal to get the city experience, then move out here to get this great hotel/resort experience before you head home.

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger D
Reviewed 12 September 2021

I stayed here for a week with my 7 year old son. I was slightly anxious that the hotel was going to be too quiet and too isolated for a single parent with a young kid, but the reviews were so outstanding, I decided to risk it.

I've since recommended to a LOT of people. Highlights include: absolutely stunning views, so much peace and space (we were regularly the only people in any given pool), all the staff know you by name and they were super flexible with my son, making him meals for dinner that weren't on the menu (which was probably too sophisticated for a 7 year old!). They also helped us plan day trips, including an unreal dolphin watching trip (we managed to get in the ocean with them) and a private island tour. We really felt in safe hands.

Possibly the only small negative was that I had inadvertently booked a room in the "house" next to the hotel, which was lovely and really spacious, but it didn't have a balcony - I'd understood all the rooms had one. This meant that I had nowhere to go when my son was sleeping. They tried to check if we could move but the hotel was fully booked.

Date of stay: August 2021