All reviews lovely hotel on arrival recommend this hotel next morning roast beef jacuzzi bath sunday carvery from start to finish wedding venue car park bar menu course meal top class night stay staff were excellent tea and coffee breakfast was excellent
Reviewed 30 March 2016 via mobile

Very unhappy from the minute I arrived. We arrived for a special meal with my mother in law as a treat only to be left disgusted. No greeting on arrival, led to bar area to await on being seated. We then waited over 15 minutes and still no staff member offered us a menu. As a result we got up and headed out and that was when we got noticed. We left and based on first impressions would not recommend.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Alan C
Pat K, Owner at Errigal Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2016

Alan C,
Thank you for visiting the Errigal Country House Hotel on the bank holiday Monday. I am dissapointed to see that you were unhappy with your visit and felt the need to leave without exeperiencing our service and good food. I reviewed the CCTV and you were correct in saying that you were not offered a menu but you had only been in the bar for 8.5 minutes. This is still too long to be waiting for service which I apologise for. The bar is an informal dinning area were guests can choose their own seats and often ask for menus at the bar. Our staff would normally offer menus within 3 or 4 minutes of arrival.On reading your review our restaurant may have been more suitable for your special meal. I hope you accept my apology and we look forward to welcoming you to The Errigal Country House Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 11 March 2016

We stayed for two nights in the week before Christmas and found the hotel to be surprisingly quiet, well pretty much deserted, which was good in some ways but left the place, beautiful as it is, feeling a little cold and unatmospheric.
We arrived at nearly mid night without any problems and the family room we were given was excellent.
Travelling as a family of four can be difficult as most hotels think a family consists of one child, and maybe cramming in a sofa bed, and so this can often mean taking two rooms and splitting the family or squeezing in to a room not fit for purpose. No such worries at the Errigal though, we were given a large, split level room for our two night stay with three full size beds (double, two singles) and plenty of space to move around.
The hotel is modern, with a spa alongside (which we didn't use so can't comment), and located on a rise off the main road from Cavan to Cootehill.
The restaurant for breakfast has a cosy old world feel, whereas the bar is large and has a contemporary sports bar ambience.
Breakfast was standard full Irish, waitress served rather than buffet, though as vegetarian we missed any option such as vege sausages, portions were not especially large. It took a while for a waitress to show to take our order and I had to ask in Reception but not a major problem.
The room rate including breakfast was superb value. Otherwise we ate only in the bar area, and the food whilst tasty was very expensive for a small plate and even though quiet took a long time to arrive. Can't fault the table or bar staff though who were all young and pleasant in the bar, more senior in the breakfast room befitting the particular nuances of each location.
I liked the hotel a lot in many ways, superb room and interior decor around the hotel, very good room rate, yet food and service were slightly below par.
I would certainly visit again when next the Cavan/Cootehill area.

Room Tip: Excellent family room with double and two singles in plenty of space.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2016 via mobile

We stayed at errigal hotel Saturday 5 March.six of us staying in the lodges which are actually houses but rooms were top very comfortable, very clean and contemporary. Only down fall was the very loud noise of water pump for showers which kept me awake from 6am.restaurant was beautifully decorated but very cold on Saturday evening,, we had to keep our coats on over our shoulders to keep warm. We did mention it to the very helpful and friendly waitress and she in turn passed our complaint on to the manager who closed the door for us but it didn't help. No radiators in the restaurant but vents in ceiling which I think the warm air was supposed to be coming from.We were on a SuperValu bnb and dinner deal and at first we were given the special menu for the restaurant only to have it taken off us five minutes later and replaced with the 18 euro bar special menu. We thought this very odd, rude and a bit unprofessional of hotel.Food was very poor.Most of us ordered the pork only to be told it wasn't available. So we all took the stirfry offered. It was over cooked, soggy veg n very dry chicken.My friend did enjoy her steak which wasn't on our 18 euro menu.
Breakfast was terrible precooked everything dried out and that was at 8.15. Fabulous looking surroundings but very poor food. It's a great pity.
Waitress was very friendly and helpful at breakfast.
Spa was small but fantastic, Caroline and her staff were wonderful and gave us a great few hours pampering with complementary champagne. Will come back for her first class service. Thankyou.

Overall the staff were excellent. Surroundings excellent, food poor, heating in restaurant poor. Noise of pump in house needs sorting out.Will come back and try the hotel rooms and definitely use the spa again. Will eat out though...

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2016

1st class service at reception and in the restaurant by Mary great food and good value.
Nice bar and lounge cosy and warm

The only complain and it is a small one, no bars of soap in the bathroom, just that liquid stuff. .

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Barry C
Reviewed 29 February 2016 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for two nights to celebrate and relax, the rooms were nice and the food was nice but the service was terrible. We were tutted at by the waiter in the restaurant who ignored us and took others orders first , we were then left sitting for 40 minutes for desert while other people got theirs first . Not one person came near us to apologise or offer us fresh tea/coffee. I have emailed the hotel twice , first email was missed apparently , 2nd email I got a reply to say it would be passed on to the manager and a week later and no word from anyone. I definitely would not return to this hotel and wont be recommending it to anybody.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Pat K, General Manager at Errigal Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2016

Dear Charlene
Thank you for your email,/ Review I am very sorry for not getting back to you sooner, with very busy weekend I was out of the office for the past week . I am very disappointed to hear that you were very unhappy with your stay. (13th /14th Feb) The experience that you had is certainly not typical of the excellent customer service we can and do deliver to all our guests, however I have gone through your comments with ourRestaurant team highlighting the faults you mentioned and i am confident we would not let ourselves down in that way again.
I am sorry you did not mention your issues at the time as we would have certainly tried to rectify the situation. We work hard to keep the standards up and regret that we did not live up to your expectations. I do hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future where I can assure you of our utmost care and attention.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us as we need every now and again to be kept on our toes and keep up the good name of Errigal Country House Hotel
kind regards,