All reviews egg station all inclusive package easter island beautiful ocean the air conditioning hotel is beautiful in town grass growing chilli mini bar volcanic rock restaurant staff tuna coffee maker local fish rapa nui tour company
Reviewed 4 June 2016

Everything about this hotel makes it the place to stay on Easter Island. The rooms are very unique and makes the whole experience to this very special place on earth a once in a life time trip. The staff is so very friendly and the views from our room is breath taking. It is close to everything.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tonycp55
Gerencia_Hoteles, Gerente at Hotel Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2016

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your comment. We are glad to read your message about your Easter Island experience in our Hotel. Easter Island is a unique place in the world that you should enjoy once in life, we are so happy you did it with us!

We invite you to meet other hotels from our chain like Termas de Puyehue in southern Chile.

Reviewed 26 May 2016

The hotel is amazing. The rooms are big with great view to the sea. The restaurant was wander full and I enjoyed the tuna fish they offers. I was on a conference and the hotel offered great spaces for working. Even though we were at eastern island the wifi worked great.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Gerencia_Hoteles, Gerente at Hotel Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2016

Dear Jtestart,

Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

We chose this high end property for the second part of our week on Easter Island as a special treat given the high room rates even in low season.

The first impression of the lobby and common areas was wonderful, however that is the only positive feedback I can unfortunately give. The staff throughout the property (front desk, dining, etc.) is generally totally uninterested in you as a guest, meaning you have to walk yourself and your luggage through really dark, winding paths (thank you, hubby for bringing that flashlight along) to your room without any introduction to the property, which is quite large and beautifully appointed. Now I don't mind carrying my own stuff at all but it is just not the welcome feeling that you would expect to get from a $500++ property anywhere. Same issue with breakfast and other dining options. Price-quality ratio is really off here! We opted not to try the spa, given all the other mediocre inpressions.

The last breaking point for us was a room change that was promised to us on check in as NOT ALL ROOMS really have a view of the ocean. Only the front first rooms offer an unobstructed view. We were soaking wet due to a hike in a downpour and had to wait 2 hrs in the lobby locked out from our room but not given a new room. Noone apologized, offered a beverage or any other small gesture that I have again come to expect at a first class property. The feeling of being an unwanted, albeit well paying guest, unfortunately tarnished our otherwise wonderul experience and stay on the island Rapa Nui.

If you can, I advise to go for a less expensive option or splurge for Explora Hotel instead.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Gerencia_Hoteles, Gerente at Hotel Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2016

¡Iorana Dori!

Thanks for sharing with us your comments. Regarding your stay; first and foremost we want to sincerely apologize for this. We always strive to provide the best service to our guests and on this occasion, we did not exceed your expectation.

We really appreciate the observations, since this help us to do our best and improve our service.

Reviewed 13 May 2016

I had a two night stay here and loved the property. Great location near town, interesting decor, rooms and suites all face the sea and were well appointed. The lodge is built to resemble a historic village of the people's homes that originally settled Easter Island. The bar and restaurant were excellent food and service. Bikes are available at a fee to ride into town or you can walk into town. The diving shops are based near by as well in the middle of town. I was very happy here and enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: The rooms and suites closest to the main building were the best location and view.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank wjcNewJersey
Gerencia_Hoteles, Gerente at Hotel Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2016

¡Iorana!

Thank you for your comment. We’re so pleased that your experience at Hangaroa was everything you’d hoped for. Our location is truly privileged, thanks to our close proximity to the city and the Pacific Ocean.

We hope to see you again on Easter Island and we’d love for you to visit another of Chile’s unique destinations, like the Puyehue Thermal Baths.

Have a wonderful day!

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 April 2016

We booked this hotel on booking.com which included the fully inclusive package. At the time of our visit in April - I believe it was low season as the hotel was practically deserted which was kind of creepy given how large the property is. The all inclusive package included all meals, most drinks, two days of guided tours, a 1/2 hour spa treatment and airport transfers. I will give a lot of detail below but the summary Pros & Cons are as follows:

Pros:
-Amazing guide Meitu - made Easter Island come alive
-Hotel is conveniently located close to the airport and walking distance to town
-Unlike earlier reviewers - the air conditioning was functioning during our stay

Cons:
-Do not expect a luxury hotel - nothing about the experience is luxury but that may just be Easter Island.
-Food is pretty horrible - particularly if you don't eat fish or are vegetarian
-Housekeeping is not great - pounds on door & then never returns
-Resort is not well lit - felt a little scary walking to room in early morning or evening

We were greeted at the airport by a hotel representative and received fresh floral leis upon arrival. The hotel is only about a 10 minute drive from the airport so we arrived quickly. Upon check-in we were given a welcome drink and promptly checked in and given a tour of property. It was a bit confusing as to what was and was not included in our package - but ultimately ended up including more then we expected so we were pleased. We were shown to our room which had a king sized bed which was not we had booked since I was traveling with a friend and had booked room with two beds. We immediately communicated that this was a mistake that would need to be corrected. Initially we were told that all the twin rooms were occupied and that they could just make the king bed up as two twins. We went back and forth with them for about 30 minutes showing them our confirmation before they conceded and told us we could have a twin room. What was really strange is that the resort was probably only 10% full - so there were plenty of other rooms available. I think housekeeping just did not want to have to make up a room that they had not planned on. Finally after about 2 hours - we were shown to our new room.

The design of this resort is very strange - the buildings are low, round and dark made out of volcanic rock, with grass growing on the roof. It was not until our second day of touring when we visited the Orongo village - that we understood that it was built to look like this Rapa Nui landmark. Taken in that context I was less puzzled by the design, but still found it rather dour. The rooms are a bit dark, with a view to the sea across the street. The floors always felt tacky and a bit dirty - but that maybe the nature of polished cement floors. The bathroom is open to the bedroom with a free standing tub in the room (painted concrete that was all chipped). In our room there was a louvered screen placed to provide some privacy between the areas. The beds were okay and the linens were a bit scratchy. Water pressure in the shower was strong, but I found the shower head to be very strange - pins & needles. We received a bottle of wine & box of chocolates for our check-in.

Housekeeping service is not great - they pound on the door when they are ready to service room. If you are there and ask them to come back later they never return. One day our room was never serviced. On the day of checkout - they just kept banging on the door repeatedly even though the resort was empty and our airport transfer was not scheduled until noon.

The biggest weak spot of this property for me was the dining. The breakfast buffet was okay, not great but at least they had someone preparing omelettes to order which were good. For lunch/dinner the salads were excellent as in the rest of Chile - with incredibly fresh and flavorful vegetables. The menu however is dominated by seafood - perhaps 95% of the dishes contain some seafood. For a non-fish eater this is challenging as you can either eat the same thing for 3 days or have to negotiate to have something made. The one time I ordered steak it was served practically raw - after sending back it was still very rare. When we tried the pasta it was served in a red sauce that clearly contained fish. By day 3 I was really dreading having to go an eat another meal in the restaurant. The servers were friendly, one in particular, but it was difficult to communicate in English particularly if you have any special needs.

The best part of the hotel was that our package included two days of touring with our magnificent guide Meitu. We spent 2 fantastic days with her learning about the Rapu Nui people and their fascinating culture. As the daughter of two archaeologists who have been working on the island for most of her life- she was a treasure trove of knowledge. We absolutely loved everything about the island, it's beauty and mysteries - totally fascinating!

The other thing about this hotel that I found very disturbing is how poorly lit the common areas are. It is a longish walk to go from the dining room to return to your room at night and it is very dark. The sun also rises much later here so at 8am when walking to breakfast it was still dark as well. As a woman, I did not feel safe doing this walk in the dark by myself.

Do not come to this hotel expecting a luxury 5 star experience. It is a 3 star experience at best, but delivered at a higher price given the limited nature of resources on this island. I think if your expectations are set accordingly you will not be as disappointed.

In summary a very strange experience for me - I absolutely loved Easter Island and think it is a must do bucket list item for any lover of travel but I really did not love the Hango Roa Hotel. Usually the hotel is a big part of how you feel about a place. That being said I am not sure that there are a lot of better options on Easter Island so I think that might just be the way things are.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends