“Delicious Japanese in Montville ”

Edamame At Montville
Ranked #17 of 26 Restaurants in Montville
Reviewed 9 December 2023

What an excellent dining experience. Fantastic food and an extremely friendly and gracious host. Delicious agadashi tofu and bento boxes. Would definitely recommend.

Date of visit: December 2023
1  Thank A5159CIpaulp

Reviewed 16 November 2023

What a disappointment. This is nothing like a proper Japanese restaurant. There was no sashimi, in fact no fish at all. The calamari entree was nice, but my wife's prawn entree was all breadcrumbs and the tiniest prawns I've ever seen. The Bento Boxes had nice steamed vegetables with plain old Mayo. Where's the soy sauce? Where's the wasabi? My wife's chicken karaage was like KFC without the 11 herbs and spices. My pork belly was greasy and stringy...nothing like proper Kakuni. I think this is just a pretend Japanese restaurant that deep fries everything, and wouldn't recommend the effort of going up the stairs to not see any view.

Date of visit: November 2023
2  Thank paulsL6082LF
Reviewed 18 September 2023 via mobile

We walked in off the street for dinner after seeing this hidden restaurant lit up with fairy lights and were pleasantly surprised!
They were very welcoming with dietary restrictions and happy to cater for us.
Even though there was a sign saying they were short staffed, they still made an effort to check in with us often and ensure we were having our needs met.
Highly recommend
Food quality was fabulous

Date of visit: September 2023
1  Thank heich3
Reviewed 19 May 2023

Unfortunately I could not have been made to feel less welcome at this place!

It was raining on and off in Montville and I dropped in for lunch. I asked if they had any tables and the person at the counter said it's raining so you can't really sit on the enclosed balcony where there were several free tables.

It wasn't raining at the time and there were other people sitting out there. I said I would be happy to sit there and take my chances as there were plastic blinds in place.

They reluctantly took chairs off the table and sat me, very begrudgingly.

My order came out in good time, karage don bowl. It was a bit dry and lacked sauces apart from a bit of mayo.

I had to go inside and ask for some soy sauce. I asked one waitress and she put her hand up to shush me and answered the phone instead. Flagged down somebody else and was made to feel like it was a huge imposition.

Food was nothing special, service was very underwhelming.

Date of visit: May 2023
Reviewed 24 January 2023

Literally walked in off the street on a Sunday evening for a light meal. What we were served was an amazing assortment of Japanese delights. I honestly can't recommend this place enough. We expected average and got exceptional. The decor might not be up to some peoples standards but in our experience, the food was amazing and the staff were welcoming, friendly, and helpful.

Date of visit: January 2023