Hotels.com
ian t

Beautiful setting, wonderful experience. SUPERB

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 17 Mar 2024
A wonderful setting, so peaceful and calm. My wife and I opted to have a picnic when we arrived at lunchtime and the setting was sublime. The food was also superb, although there was more than we could eat.
The evening meal was delicious and the service was excellent.
The room we had was spacious and beautifully decorated.
If/when we return to Australia we will definitely try to return.
The type of stay that memories are made.
Date of stay: February 2024
Room Tip: If you are arriving early then certainly consider the picnic at lunchtime. It's superb and made...
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
eDreams
  • Lol.travel
4.5 km from Spicers Clovelly Estate
View more hotels in Montville
All reviews long apron spa suite course degustation menu home away from home my partner romantic weekend accommodation tamarind luxury retreat picnic deck perfection
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 January 2024

I will not go into it, but, the food supplied was not nearly of Value. One course included ONE Prawn.
How you could charge $480 a Couple for Christmas Lunch is a dead set Rip Off.
Would not have done this if known, of course, but expected so much better.

Date of stay: December 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2023

I was planning a picnic for my partner’s birthday. I saw on the site a takeaway hamper option and selected it. Got a call advising it was no longer available but they can do the picnic at the lake deck. At first there was no availability due to the deck being booked out. But the lovely Margie and her team went above and beyond to set everything up for us later that afternoon as the place became free. We didn’t stay at the accommodation. But I’m definitely planning a future visit. Kudos to Margie and the Spicers team for making my partner’s birthday the “Best. Birthday. Ever” in her words.

Room tip: Make sure you’ve got a big appetite! The picnic hamper is a charcuterie board using ingredients from the local producers.
Date of stay: June 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2023 via mobile

I visit one of the spicers retreats every year. Firstly I must say that I love the spicers group however my most recent trip I noticed some things that could use some attention.

I booked via the spicers website, I had to call to get my confirmation sent to me as it never came, the receipt did though. Previously when you would book on their website, they would call you to welcome you, confirm travel companion, book restaurant and offer spa booking etc. none of this happened but I did get automatic text messages booking me into the long apron for 6pm both nights. Sure, great I was booked into the restaurant however not at a time I would want dinner.

We stayed in montville house which is really nice, they pay more attention to the cleanliness of the room, particularly in the bathroom and toilet.

One of the staff at breakfast saw us arrived, looked at us then continued folding napkins, we waited another 30 seconds or so then she came over- that was a bit weird and not the experience I would expect at spicers. Marbelyz (spelt wrong) looked after us well at one of the breakfasts.

Our first dinner at the long apron was good however I had to ask the waitress to turn the air con on as it was so stuffy (December) and it was a good night. The second night though was outstanding. Cindy appeared to be the manager on duty and she recognised us from our last visit (March 2022), while she was not our server, she came to speak and check in with us various times over the night. She also got the chef to make us and extra course which was excellent. Now this is the type of service spicers use to have. It really made out night and also made us feel welcomed back. Great work Cindy!

Check in and check out were too casual, I was not even asked how our stay was.

Spicers seem to have lost their way a little at Clovelley. The team at tamarind always welcome us back and make it special.

While it was not amazing this time, I’ll be back as the spicers group is unique from other hotels. Little bit unfortunate that their prices have increased so much since 2021, by about 35%

Date of stay: December 2022
Reviewed 31 July 2022 via mobile

Lovely hotel with impeccable service. They really do get it right. Friendly. Anticipatory. They really never put a foot wrong. The room (Spa 3) was a beautiful large (huge actually) loft bedroom was just a flight of stairs from the bar/restaurant and a nice fireplace (it was a cool weekend). Breakfast was superb. Hard to go past (both mornings) the Breakfast Cassoulet. The only slight disappointment was that we thought The Long Apron (Friday night packaged dining) was okay but unexceptional, and we were similarly disappointed with the nearby Spicers Tamarind Restaurant (Saturday night). Both these restaurants need work on the unexciting food (nothing wrong with the service) to make them as memorable as the hotel itself. Will absolutely be back but will probably not package dinner next time.

Room tip: The restaurant isn’t that great
Date of stay: July 2022
1  Thank RBH58
General Manager Spicers Clovelly Estate, General Manager at Spicers Clovelly Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2022

Thanks so much for the wonderful feedback. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. See you again soon!

Cameron - Duty Manager

Reviewed 7 June 2022

We chose Spicers for our 10 Year Anniversary dinner and were totally impressed with the 5 course degustation menu which lived up to expectation, topped off with the delightful Brittany hostess who truly made our evening a special memory X

Date of stay: June 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
General Manager Spicers Clovelly Estate, General Manager at Spicers Clovelly Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2022

Dear Jade, Thank you for sharing your feedback with Spicers Clovelly Estate. We are thrilled to see you enjoyed your recent visit for your anniversary. We hope to see you return again in future.
- Steph, Duty Manager