“Expensive and poor quality”

Poets Restaurant and Cafe & Main Street Gallery
Ranked #20 of 26 Restaurants in Montville
Price range: AU$24 - AU$95
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 January 2024 via mobile

We visited this cafe on a recent trip to visit family on the Sunshine Coast. Our group of seven adults and a three year old had originally planned on lunching at this cafe but found it had limited options for two gluten intolerant adults. Like so many other reviewers with children, we were sent to an outdoor table without being asked our preference.
Looking for a light lunch option, we were astounded to see baguettes on menu costing $30! Apparently they came with chips but this seems super expensive!
My sister ordered a Coke which was flat: I noticed it had been poured from an opened large bottle which I found unusual. My partner and I shared scones which were fine but not remarkable. For four soft drinks, a tea, coffee and scones, we paid just over $70 which seemed rather expensive.
Beautiful location but I definitely would not recommend this cafe, unfortunately.

1  Thank karen2558

Reviewed 23 January 2024

Awful treatment by the owner to my family with their 2 yr old daughter.He shouted at her , made her cry because she picked up the Mickey Mouse table number .Shame on you .
They walked out and left , terrible service ....

1  Thank Cathy M
Reviewed 23 January 2024

Worst customer service I’ve ever seen. Arrived with our 2 year old child which apparently meant we had to sit outside near the main road. The very rude owner, whom I think must be single because he has zero empathy or respect, snatched a decorated table number out of our child’s hand and made her cry before we could even sit down. Don’t think he even knows how to smile looking at the other reviews. Shocking

1  Thank John S
Reviewed 23 January 2024

Do not try to take your children here! They are very clearly not welcome. We walked in and it was empty, immediately an old man (could be owner or manager) told us we had to sit outside near the road. My 2 year old daughter sat on a chair and picked up the reserved sign and a little ladybug table decoration, smiling and happy. The man then GRABBED them out of her hand and said ‘NO’ and made her cry. We immediately got up and left. If I could put 0 stars I would. DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILDREN, awful place.

1  Thank chloë b
Reviewed 17 January 2024

Poets Cafe is definitely a must stop while in Montville.
The staff there are absolutely fantastic, I visit almost daily as I work nearby and have never had a bad experience. The food is delicious and always cooked to perfection.
Poets has been my go to café over any other in Montville.

I am shocked to see any reviews speaking negatively about the staff or owner. The entire team is professional, well mannered and always endeavoured to ensure that my experience has been excellent.

Highly recommend.