Poets Restaurant and Cafe & Main Street Gallery
Price range: AU$25 - AU$97
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 September 2023 via mobile

The Poets Cafe is a marvellous place to have lunch. Right in the heart of Montville with some of the best views out to the ocean. We had the share plate which was excellent. Only one issue which saw some customers come in the walk out after seeing the menu was the prices. It’s a shame because the fare and surroundings are worth it. Like Angelina in Paris you don’t go in unless you can afford this kind of pampering. Staff were lovely and attentive. We will be back.

Date of visit: September 2023

Reviewed 17 September 2023

PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR AND AVOID THIS PLACE..
We were looking forward to a special family meal during our holidays on Sunshine Coast and Poet’s Cafe with its romantic name, charming decor and picturesque views seemed like a perfect choice. Unfortunately you should never judge the book by its cover. We asked for a table with a view, but as we had children, we were told by the owner to sit at a table next to the busy street. Even though our children are older and well behaved. He pointed his finger and said if we don’t like it, we can leave and find another place up the road. We stayed nevertheless as our children were tired and hungry. But this experience was enough for us to never come back to this place again.
I feel sorry for the owner as he seems to be a very miserable and sad man who does not like people and uses his position of power to make other people’s life as awful as his own. This is evident both for the staff who seem to be scared of him and the customers who will never come back to his cafe after even one encounter with this man. What a sad and terrible life to live..

Date of visit: August 2023
Reviewed 1 September 2023

Just because a pretty face escorts you to your table and brings coffee does not justify charging $9.50 for the beverage....absolute rip off!!! 😡

Date of visit: September 2023
Reviewed 27 August 2023

Called in to Poets Cafe at Montville Qld for coffee & tea to end our lovely day out for lunch at Stonebridge Gardens Sunshine Coast Qld.

Our lunch at the Gardens was lovely. A must to visit. The staff gave excellent service, lunch was tasty, the setting was beautifully tranquil & with reasonable pricing.

Sadly our experience at Poets Cafe clouded the end of our day. On leaving I was asked to pay $9:50 for a large cappuccino. In total shock, I said to the cashier that the average price in Sydney for the same size ranged from $5:80 to $6:50.

I was promptly told the price was stated on the menu. Then my friend was charged $7:00 for a peppermint tea, standard size teacup with a sachet of honey. To which my friend said the tea was not pleasant tasting at all!!

As we knew what we wanted & did not view a menu, the pricing was a total shock. If I had sighted the menu & pricing initially, we would have left the cafe at the beginning. I would not recommend Poets Cafe at Montville & on visiting Montville again I will definitely not be supporting Poets Cafe nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Date of visit: August 2023
Reviewed 30 July 2023 via mobile

I stopped in Montville on the way back to the coast from a visit to the Maleny Botanic Gardens. It was lunchtime and from the outside this looked like a pretty place to eat. It was after 2 when I arrived and while it had been very busy, it was clear that many people were finishing up. The waitress who seated me was not very friendly and when I asked to sit at one of the tables on the verandah with a view, she said they were all booked. So I sat inside, was given a menu and then ignored for a while. Meanwhile more and more of the tables on the verandah were becoming vacant, so I asked a friendlier looking waitress if I could move out onto the verandah, which I could. And also gave her my order, as she asked for it. No sign of the original waitress, but I am sure that her attitude was because I am a solo diner and older woman eating on my own. I had been on the verge of leaving.

A group of six were seated at the table next to me but got up to leave because of the prices. The cafe is quite pricey with salads at more than $30 and toasted sandwiches $25 and up. I had a roast beef baguette which was $32, no salad or chips accompanying. It was fine but not special. I should have checked the reviews on here before eating as there are obviously many better places I could have eaten in Montville.

Date of visit: July 2023