“PARADISE!”

Eskaya Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 50 Hotels in Panglao Island
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I don't see where the negative reviews are coming from, really.

Our Eskaya experience was perfect. The place was divine. Accommodations, luxe. Food, fantastic. Service, impeccable!

Thank you to Roni (the resident manager), Gerald (the waiter), and the drivers (Lino and the other kuya whose name we unfortunately didn't get!)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 March 2010

My husband & I just came back from Eskaya Beach Resort and Spa. Amazing! Beautiful Eskaya! The resort gave us a sense of serenity & privacy which we seldom experience in other resorts. The staff are attentive and friendly. Although there are some not so good reviews of Eskaya lately, we still would want to go back to spend our second honeymoon! These little things happen anywhere, anyway. We love the place.

• Stayed: February 2010
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 February 2010

As a filipina with a european boyfriend.. I take pride of the beauty Philippines has to offer. While doing the research and reading about the "infamous" Eskaya I was embarassed to myself for even getting my boyrfriend this far in the Philippines to experience such insincerity, dismay, and disappointments.

Lets start our mini adventure :

I would give Manuel 5star, he is one of the nicest staff in the entire resort.

First meal at Lantawan : I ordered their fish meal, not only it tasted old --- it was too blunt and I could not comprehend how they can stomach to charge P850 for it which is about $18.88 US for me. I live in Beverly Hills and Im constantly out for lunch within the area. It is unheard of to have to pay almost $20 US meal and not be happy about it. This is where my embarrassment started. My boyfriend ordered chicken adobo, when they brought the mea to our table I looked at it and my bf had the same thought going through in his head... WHAT IS THAT ? Certainly did not look appetizing at all, it appeared to be the leftover from the past evening, it was so bony - thats all you can see on the bowl so we had to send it back. While I was eating my blunt meal, I did not realize that his adobo had taken 20 mins to be replaced.... You thought we would get a better portion- only to be surprised with halfway cooked adobo with very dry meat!
The overly intrusive manager then asked if he would like to get a different meal - mind you manager asked instead of offering a free meal - so then my boyfriend asked for a cheeseplate.
Finished that and asked for our bill.spanking Php P2200!!! Forty US dollars, thats astonishing! for a very inconsistent , mediocre meal !

I then asked the front desk for a quote : renting a motorbike, they qouted me Php P1350 for eight(8) hours. I met a guy outside the resort renting me his motorbike for a full day for P500... so now tell me am I missing something here or what?

I do not understand the logic of housekeeping partially replacing the towels. They would replace the main towel but not the face towel. I pay $500 US everydamn day in this resort I want new towels everyday! Which by the way are poor quality for what is considered luxury hotel.

I have to constantly ask for Internet card/paper code every eight hours when they specify to us prior to stay that internet is included in our package.

We did not pay $500 per night for a beautiful communal swimming pool. We wanted to at least have the chance to enjoy the beach, oh yeah we can't because their beach is very rocky!

OVERALL this place is overrated . they have the oddasity to charge $500 US +/night for the level of food, service and amenities you get at Eskaya resort!

I would never recommend this place to anyone, I would write articles about my embarrassing experience here and make sure that none of the people I know would get deceived as well.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank INTLtravelconcierge
Reviewed 22 February 2010

When you set yourself up as the Philippines second most expensive resort, you naturally raise the bar of expectation in the potential guests mind.
Upon check in we looked like we were not going to be disappointed as we were welcomed by the staff of the front desk bearing flower garlands. However from there things started falling apart.
1) The villa swimming pools are not private and ours countinually in the shade, so not worth the premium paid
2) The villa shower was broken
3) The in room jacuzzi was badly cracked meaning it could not be used
4) Limited in room hot water
5) Cheap "moving" toilet seat that did not fit bowl
6) Broken blinds
7) The standard service was fine but as soon as we moved away from everyday requests, like getting change for 500 Php, then gaps appeared
8) Cocktail hour is "one" designated drink with a bowl of peanuts
9) Main swimming pool has dangerous filtration system for children, I nearly had my stomach sucked in by it
10) Inconsistancy with housekeeping services:- towels changed, daily newspapers and leaves swept up all appear to be random acts
11) Staff need more training in general to give true 5 star service

Conclusion
Overall we left with a sense of disappointment, we had expected to come away with a certain "wow" factor and instead we left feeling that we had overpaid for our three night / four day break in a resort that could so easily have met our requirements given a little more thought and attention to detail.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AsianTraveller41