All reviews minute walk rooms are clean short cut deluxe room smaller pool family room main road three rooms pool towels restaurants and bars complimentary water air con pools beach resort blackout bohol
Reviewed 9 May 2016

I give the owner of this hotel 5 stars for effort and execution but the location of the hotel has some huge drawbacks.
Let me start by saying that after talking to the staff at the hotel that I understand the owner has tried everything in his power to make the walk to the beach more enjoyable for his guests but it doesn’t change the fact that the walk to the beach ruined the experience for me. I loved the staff here and the hotel is basically brand new but once you set foot outside the walls it’s a 180 degree change in atmosphere. The walk from the hotel to the beach is about a 200 meter walk through a parking lot used as a garbage drop off location, down a flight of stairs to what looks like an abandoned beach resort from the 80’s filled with all types of garbage before you get to the beach. There is one light at the top of the stairs which goes out after 11pm, so you will need a flashlight or cell phone to make your way back to the hotel to assure you don’t step in something unpleasant or trip and fall. The road the hotel is on is so rough that a tricycle driver refused to take me to the hotel because the road was too bumpy for him. From what I’m told, the owner of the hotel tried to buy the abandoned resort but was refused and he also tried to clean the garbage up but was told by the current owner of the abandoned resort not to touch anything on his property. So basically his hands are tied :(

It’s a great place to stay, has free Wi-Fi in the rooms and is a great deal. Also the hotel is undergoing some construction in 2016 to build a restaurant and formal guest reception area so be patient. The pools, rooms and staff are excellent but I wouldn’t go as far as to call this place a resort just yet, it’s a nice hotel with a bar and pool.

Room Tip: Choose a Deluxe Room on the second floor for a more private experience. The lower rooms are too close to the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2016

What a beautiful resort. Rooms are clean, beautiful garden with pools, food is good and the wifi works .
Staff is very helpful. The resort is a 2 min walk to the beach. I hope to visit you again.

One negative thing the road to the beach is very dirty. Trash everywhere and you have to use the stairs. I hope one day this will be cleaned up.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2016 via mobile

Set in a gated garden of luscious greenery our stay here was excellent value. The owners have created a beautiful home with good size pool & bar facilities. This was well used by us after the sun goes down and is lovely to chill in the pool.
We stayed in the new wing, which had a great size room and veranda overlooking the garden.
They offer meals which had breakfast every morning, very reasonable and filling.
They have 2 dogs on the grounds so note this if you are not a dog lover. We love dogs so it was great for us!
They happily arranged trips for us and laundry service. Also had problem with our toilet which they fixed very quickly!
Chris has a infinite knowledge of cocktails so make sure you take advantage.
Thank you so much we had a great stay!!!

Top tips:
-this is a boutique hotel, which is found on a road just off the main rd. Main entrance only accessed via very bumpy track opposite the back of the Horizon hotel.
-Access to the beach is better if you ho though the gate opp & say to the guard you are going to the horizon hotel. They will let you through!
- Alona beach is ok, but nothing compared to Bolod beach/aka white beach where the locals go!!!if you want stunning white sand.
10 min tuk tuk 250peso.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2016

I spent 10 nights at the Golden Palms resort. It is in a great location, only 2 minutes walk from the beach, restaurants and dive centres. I had a deluxe room which was a good size, very modern and with a balcony. The bathroom was very clean and a good shower. The internet was lightning fast, much faster than the internet I get in my apartment in Manila!

The resort itself is not too large, which is what makes it just perfect, it has two pools and an outdoor bar/cafe. The owner Barry & his family live on site most of the time and is always around to give advice. Chris, the Manager, and his team do a great job, they know all the guests and greet you by name whenever they see you, which added a nice personal touch and is very welcoming.

On my next trip to Panglao I will be staying here again and recommend it to anybody heading there for a short or long period.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Shylo G
Reviewed 12 April 2016

I chose this place based on other people's reviews. I didn't book the hotel ahead of time because I wanted to check out the general area first since I read that you have to walk thru garbage and stuff. And yes,its true. plastic garbage along the dirt road path shortcut to the beach but I had no problem with it. Some reviews says that it is 3mins walk to the beach which isn't true. You can get to beach in a minute. Now, if you want to go to the main part of Alona beach, then yeah,its a little farther down. Got to the hotel and I asked them for their walk in rate and it was priced the same as booking it online. The first thing I did was asked to see their room. After liking the it, i got on my phone and booked it on the spot. The only minor problem i encountered was when I showed the front desk my confirmation, she had to relay it via text to the owner to check if it was ok. I dont know if their computer wasn't working or thats just how they do it. They have 2 pools,somewhat pretty warm from the blazing sun but refreshing. The hotel ground is nice. Lots of plants and manicured grass. They have lounge chairs and a hammock.
Oh, and their awesome little black pug dog is funny. This place feels very homey to me. It is a super quiet place. I stayed at their newer building which had a small lap pool. The bottom rooms,your patio area is next to the pool. So its pretty nice because right when you walk outside your room, you can take a dip right away. Very convinient. My room was upstairs. Its big,really nice and clean. The bed was a little bit on the hard side personally but im not complaning. Their bathroom I really liked. Basic amenities found in the room. I also liked their nice sliding doors to the big balcony with table and chairs. Food and
service wise, i can't say because I ate at my favorite place Coco Vida everyday. I did ask about dinner when i checked in and front desk told me that they were having problems with their staffing that day and their main cook became the laundry lady. So she couldn't cook dinner or something like that.
You will not find loud,drunk foreigners,loud music and heavy people traffic here. It's a nice kickback,chill and quiet.
For the price that i paid, which was mid range, it's really a great deal.I've seen alot of resorts in panglao and they tend to have their landscaping look really nice but with a mediocre to ugly and uncomfortable rooms and also cost more. This place is awesome. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends