“Delicious tasting menu ”
Review of Le Calandre

Le Calandre
Ranked #1 of 41 Restaurants in Rubano
Price range: USD 53 - USD 211
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

Amazing service and delicious food. We had the Chef's menu, meaning a special selection of dishes and ate there for lunch. Highly recommend the raw beef tartare with truffles and the mozzarella ricotta cannoli. Also some of the best bread in a restaurant I've tasted. Defiantly worth the visit.

Reviewed 18 June 2016

have been in other 3 stars. the food was great but also the atmosphere, casual good sense of humour, a team working relaxed, jokingly and in get professional perfection,. it was an anniversary and it will be memorable. thank you for making it so special

Reviewed 16 June 2016

We visited Le Calandre in June 16. On entering there is a friendly attendant who escorts you to a table (strangely walking past an open office). Décor in the main dining room is understated and dark colours prevail, the chairs are tub like with low backs thereby comfortable but may not be great for a larger person (in height or girth). Much has been said about the table, which is fine, but really didn’t transmit the sensory nirvana many have commented on to me; to be honest, if anything, it looked like a pressed table you could find in any modern furniture store. The lack of a table cloth didn’t bother me… but some traditionalists may have something to say about it. Upon being seated we were offered a glass of sparkling wine from a selection of four, we chose an Italian bottle which we found at bill time was a reasonable 9E a glass. On the issue of pricing/cost/value, this isn’t really a restaurant where you can go if you’re at all concerned about dropping $1000 on dinner, I wouldn’t go even if you’re saving for a special occasion, it’s just not ever going to be able to satisfy you if you’re looking for “value for money” or a “special dinner”; it’s more like going to see a great tennis final between Federer and Nadal or buying a fancy car, the money isn’t for the food, it’s for the access to one of the finest chefs in the world doing his thing. We had the classic menu which is a degustation meal 225E plus wine pairing at 100E so for the night we spent over 670E.

Service is excellent, the staff can gauge the mood at the table and adjust their style accordingly, nearly all were very friendly (one or two were a bit stiff), often, the staff in this calibre of restaurant act in a really snobby way (maybe because some patrons are like that), but here I was pleasantly surprised, the mood in the restaurant was positive and the atmosphere was jovial. One little grievance is the sales pitch for the chef’s book at the table… there is probably a more appropriate, more subtle way to do this…

Wines were great and expertly selected by our sommelier, I didn’t even bother to take much notice of what was being served except to notice that they were all Italian and very well paired to the dishes being served.
Apart from the items on the menu itself we were served some cheesy poufs on arrival (already at the table) and some warm appetizers with our bubbly (baccala’ ball, Tomato and Basil cushion and a ragu’ and Béchamel thimble), I’m not a big fan of baccala’ (cod), but it had its merits in texture and flavour, but I thought the cushion was good and the thimble delicious.

Of the dishes we tried I’d rate them in the following manner:

Excellent:
Cuttlefish cappuccino (creamy potato, soft flavourful cuttlefish in its own ink...yum)
Soft Shelled crab (great textures, lovely flavour and terrific accompanying crème)
Lycee sorbet (full of flavour, refreshing not too sweet)
Mozzarella (Thin almond shell in the shape of a mozzarella garnished with olive oil, olives and herbs and filled with a fantastic sweet foam, this dessert is amazing)

Very Good:
Bone Marrow (presentation is incredible caveman style bone, the marrow is served with fuming herbs and fried bread crumbs, the food itself is well you know…bone marrow… bit greasy but ok)
Risotto (many people rave about this, maybe because of this I was a little disappointed, the risotto is perfectly cooked, the texture is creamy and it’s wonderful in the mouth, the liquorice sprinkles are genius, and although I realise saffron is a delicate flavour I expected something more in the flavour department, the risotto done in juniper broth has all the excellent qualities of the first offering and the broth adds yet another dimension)
Pasta carbonara (great hand made pasta, cute use of freeze dried egg yolk as flakes on top of the pasta…but ultimately doesn’t add anything else to the dish, the chicken broth jelly was lost in the overpowering bacon flavour, overall good but not exactly breaking any barriers)
Suckling pig (nice, with a delicious crispy side but a bit greasy (I’m not a fan of pork belly type dishes though)
Crispy breads and grissini (served in a little utility belt, they are a bit of an “Italian” thing but they were thin crispy, tasty and delicious)

Good:
Tomato cannelloni (lovely crisp thin shells but pretty bland mozzarella filling and quite sharp tomato dipping sauce)
Tartare (I’ve never really “got” the whole tartare thing or the raw fish thing, its ok in small quantities… you always end up putting soya sauce or wasabi or mayo on it anyway because the flavours are so subtle ie doesn’t taste like anything … anyway the presentation of the dish is fantastic as it comes out on a piece of bark and the meat is draped in truffle… but I just found myself chucking it down the hatch and eagerly waiting the next dish)

Average:
Cheesy poufs (it’s kind of a shame that a restaurant of this calibre can’t start you off with something that really blows your socks off… these nibbles are nice to serve at home but I’m sure such an accomplished chef could come up with something more interesting than this).
Bread (I was really surprised at the bread. Almost every second bakery in France can produce a decent baguette that you can’t get enough of, every day of the week for the masses. The bread here becomes a dough ball in your mouth, the outside is hard rather than crispy and the overall result is unappetizing; I LOVE bread, I’ll eat it stale, but I tried the wholemeal and the white here and left it all on the table)
Tomato in different ways (the dish was interesting but the tomato was quite sharp and had a bit of the not quite ripe crunch to it, I might have just been unlucky on the day)

Reviewed 13 May 2016

This restaurant is very good, but not as good as other 3 Michelin star restaurants we had visited before. We order chef's menu. Of course dishes are small, but after 11 courses, it is too much of everything. And for 3 stars Michelin restaurant they have to change napkins before desert, or your desert smell like a fish. Maybe it is not a big deal, but again everything must be perfect at 3 Michelin stars.

1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 3 May 2016 via mobile

We chose Le Calandre as our special meal during our honeymoon after we read they were in the top 20 restaurants in the world and we knew we would be in that area of Italy. We were not disappointed at all. The location of the restaurant is located inside a boutique hotel off a main road in a smaller town. The hostess was welcoming and immediately sat us down at our table. The dining room is small- eight tables in all and it is divided by a long serving bar in the middle. The decor is minimal but plays whimsically into the chef's theme for food. As soon as you sit down you are offered a welcome drink and given an amuse Bouche from the chef. Ours consisted of three mini bites of food that were all delicious. I won't describe them here because they won't be the same any other time. There are two options for choosing how to eat at this restaurant. You can pick from one of three pre selected menus that each contain 11-12 courses OR you can choose 3,4, or 5 dishes from any of the menus. We decided to choose our own. I had the cuttlefish cappuccino which is the signature dish of the restaurant. It was a warm starchy soup with the squid ink at the bottom. It was delicious, warm and filling. The next item we tried was the pea tagliatelle- which is gluten free and the pasta is made from the peas. It was my favorite dish. Next was the risotto with turbot "butter". Hearty and filling with interesting (in a good way) flavors. For the meats we tried the suckling pig with chicories and the lamb with chickpea sauce. Both were cooked perfectly and flavorful. We finished with the chocolate dessert also very good and rich. I have to comment on the service of the restaurant because it excelled. There is a team of six including a sommelier constantly all servicing your table. We never wanted for anything and they anticipated our needs- including knowing somehow my favorite type of wine without me even saying anything other than I wanted a white for the evening. The manager and the chef both visited our table at least three times each and when they heard that it was or honeymoon they took an impromptu photo of us and made a card in the back that the entire staff signed. It was a generous touch and just goes to show that they are a standout not just for their food. There is a reason they are recipients of several culinary awards including three Michelin stars and Prllegrino's top 50 restaurants in the world. I sincerely hope that we will get the chance to dine at Le Calandre again in the future. Grazie mille to Chef Masimilliano, Andrea and the rest of the team. It was an unforgettable evening.