See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I have read some bad reviews about Sandy Point so let me start by saying that this hotel (country) is not for everyone. They say the service was bad but you have to understand the Trinidad and Tobago people (I have family there), they are a carefree, laid back group of people. They are never in a hurry (except on the road) to do anything. They do things when they want to do it and dont care how long it takes. They are and hour late for everything they do. That said, if your in a hurry to get something to eat, you had better plan on being late. So yeah the service on both islands is questionable and not what most Americans are used to, but that is just how the people are. The hotel itself was very nice. We were in one of the big rooms that held 7 people comfortably. It had a nice loft with 2 beds, a back room with a bed and tv. There was a small pool outside the room with 2 hot tubs. There is a larger pool on the other side of the resort. Hotel food was decent and the price was ok (we stopped at a restaurant with a similar menu and higher prices). Location of Sandy Point is good as you can walk from the airport to the hotel (as a lot of people were doing) and Store Bay beach was about a 10 -15 minute walk too. Store Bay was a beautiful beach but not all that big. You can do anything you want there from glass bottom boats to jet skis. We got on a glass bottom boat that we booked from a local named Anthony. He remembered my name from the day before and gave us a good deal (about $10 US each.) Also Pigeon Point isnt that far away either and is a little bit more relaxing than Store Bay. Pigeon Point also has a lot to do there from paddle boats to wind and kite surfing. They also have little huts you can use.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2009

Firstly I thought the staff were pretty unfriendly to the point where after a 10 hour flight, I arrived at the hotel and no one offered to help with my luggage. Being pretty tired and hungry, I had to drag it across the hotel up and down stairs to my room which really put me out.

The receptionist were also clueless as to the meal times, costs and internet facilities. the bathroom was filthy with the tub overflowing as it was blocked up. The only good point about the hotel was the barman, Abdullah, who was pretty friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
6  Thank Ara_9
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We stayed in SPV in early Feb 09, and had a very enjoyable vacation experience. There were some problems with the resort, we've shared what we thought are some key points about SPY:

Pros:
1. The grounds are beautifully maintained, the very colourful flora with the Spanish styled units was very asthetically pleasing.
2. The pools and hot tubs were quite clean, and we did observe a gentleman cleaning same every morning.
3. The Steak and Lobster Restaurant - the quality of the food and the relative prices were quite good. The service received from staff here was much better than the front desk. By far though the best feature of the restaurant which set it apart from the other restaurants we visited in Tobago was the exceptional view you got of the surf while dining, it was absolutely fantastic and greatly relaxing to these vacationers!
4. The minimart at the next door SPBC was very well stocked, it contains almost everything you could require for your vacation, grocery items, beach wear and very friendly staff attending to your queries
5. The location of this resort is ideal, provided that your luggage is easy to carry/manouvre, it's a simple 10-15 min walk from Crown Pt airport. Additionally, there are a number of other restaurants/take away food places nearby to sample the local cuisine. We suggest "SYPS" next door - the food is good, and at more competitive prices than the restaurant
6. The actual room we stayed in was a garden front room, quite comfortable, with a breakfast nook by the windows, a large king sized bed with a large vanity area opposite, a clean bathroom and a well equipped kitchen.

Cons:
1. There was no TV remote, we learned later that a deposit was required to secure one, but we thought it was too much trouble for a TV with approx 8 channels
2. The utensils and wares in the kitchenette smelt a bit funny, especially the kettle - it smelt as though water had been stagnant in it for a while, and I never bothered to use the utensils because of this
3. The service from staff at the resort was disappointing, especially the front desk personnel who seemed very unwilling to assist guests. An exception however was the cheerful MIchelle, who was a God-send in helping us with a query concerning our booking. Additionally, upon checking in, no one is there to assist you to your room, in way of guiding you thorught the resort or helping you carry your bags
4. The room we styed in was quite dark and lacked sufficient natural and artificial lighting. Although we left the door open to compensate for this, the windows weren't able to stay open.
5. The mattress in our room did not offer sufficient support to accomodate a good nights sleep.

Generally, we thought SPV to be a comfortable, unpretentious vacation spot, and have already recommended it to friends and family. The faults we found are of a superficial nature and can be remedied should management care to put initiatives in place to enhance the guest experience - some adequate staff training in customer service should definitely head the list!

• Stayed: February 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 January 2009

omg that room was the worst, the toilets were leaking, the bath tub smelled and the maids had no respet for the guests. The doors was not closing all the way and the boss the owner also had a teribble attitude. when you go down for a meal they take so long to bring it that when they finally do its cold. this place deserves to close down and no one should be allowed.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank applesiluv
Reviewed 16 January 2009

After my wife's death on Christmas Eve 2008, I decided to head across to Tobago for some alone time, and booked a 4 night stay at SPV. Being Trinidadian, the hotel has had a long standing reputation and I decided to pay the pricier nightly rate to stay there. Upon making the reservation, I requested a seaside room and with high expectations in tow, arrived at SPV on January 5th and was extremely disappointed with the property from the outset.

The receptionists were personable, however not overly friendly and welcoming. I was appalled at the reception area - the room behind the receptionists was extremely untidy and made me wonder whether the hotel's management was bothered about the first-impression guests would form upon check in. Though I arrived well after 1:00pm check-in time, my room was not ready and I had to wait for about 30 minutes while the receptionist went to check the room. When I was finally handed the key for room 901, things went downhill from there.

The seaside rooms are located below the restaurant and having to walk through the grounds, it was obvious that again, hotel management was not concerned about the hotel's maintenance. The pool, though a great size, showed signs of ageing and the area called the Galley showed similar evidence of neglect. I made my way to my room and was appalled to see the litter that lined the pathway and the dingy Rubbermaid chairs that were on the front porch. On entering, the floor or my room was damp and smelled slightly of urine and being located under the restaurant, I felt as if I had walked into a painted-white cave. As I looked around the room some more, the cracked tiles, old fittings, dingy towels and musty smell from the wood panelling were all indiations that the property was not being well maintained. Added to that, the wall behind the bed was dripping wet from the condensation being caused by the air-conditioning unit.

I promptly marched back up to reception to complain about the room as I did not go to Tobago to get ill. The receptionist seemed slightly irritated by my objection but I was moved to a garden side room that had a kitchenette and a king size bed. Though this was an attempt to appease me, the lack of upgrades to the rooms continued to be evident - for instance, the towels had been used so many times that they were frayed at the edges and were no longer white, but rather a dingy light grey. Cracked tiles were everywhere, the faucets leaked and this room was also dogged by the musty smell from the panelling. The windows obviously had not been cleaned in ages and a garbage bag that had blown in front of my room stayed there for three days before it was eventually removed by the ground staff.

The hotel has a nightclub attached to it called The Deep and I assume there was going to be a party there the next day as there were two young men wearing "The Deep" T-shirts who checked into the hotel and stayed in rooms across the grounds from me. I was astounded however when, apparently in preparation for the party, just after 10pm they began blasting music from their rooms that not doubt would have rumbled every guest staying at SPV.

While the location of the hotel is very convenient, this is about the ONLY thing it has going for it. I found it to be way over-priced for an ageing establishment, one which the hotel's management couldn't be bothered to upkeep. I'll NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank eros23tt