“Tired but Good”

Sandy Point Village
Ranked #13 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 June 2008

We have just come back from Sandy point and on the whole can say it was a great place although a little tired. Don't let the airport being so close put you off and don't be in a hurry as you will get frustrated with the staff. Speak slowly and concisely and you will be understood, the local dialect is hard to understand so ask people to repeat what they say to you.

During our stay the food was excellent value for money and great quality. Although due to sea conditions no lobster at the Gril and Lobster restruant. Staff can apear stand offish , but say hello and ask how they are and the response will be well worth it. Joyce in the Restruant made our stay and the night she was off things were a tad slower.

Another two features of Sandy point are watching the Pelicans dive for fish and get mobbed by the Terns and watching the planes land at night as their lights light up the sea like a Blue Moon

Great location although not much in the way of nearby eateries but you don't need them, we had quite a few all incs from the next door hotel come in because their food was so poor. I would not recommend the MAP plan here as the choice is also poor, fish or chicken and they decide waht paticular dish.

The 100 foot pool is great and you can really stretch out in the shallow end if you want to.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 6 April 2008

When I stayed at Sandy Point Hotel in 2005, I was very young but I do remember some things about the stay which might influence your decision to go there.
I've been reading the other reviews for this hotel and the first thing I would like to say is that the pool is very clean. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it - it even has a slide! Don't expect breakfast before about 9:15am because nobody in Tobago gets up before then. The view out to the ocean is amazing, and the bar/restaurant is right next to it so you can have a lovely view while you're eating. While my family was staying there, there was a party by the pool which gave out free punch and it was a good way to socialise with the other people staying. My sister, then 8 years old, started talking to a little german girl at the party and they are still friends today!
The rooms are fine; nothing special really. I did once find an upturned dead cockroach on the floor in the morning but the cleaners came early and swept it up. It's only to be expected, as Tobago has a very hot climate and there are lots of different insects living all over the island. Ihad the shock of my life when i saw a lizard crawling up my wall but there's nothing to be afraid of - they are very timid and wont hurt you if you go near them.
I hope my review of this hotel will help you decide whether to vidit it or not, for all in all I would reccommend it to a friend if they were visiting the island. I am going back in a few weeks time and so I hope that quality of the hotel is just like what it was three years ago!

Stayed: March 2005
Reviewed 2 March 2008

I was looking for someplace to crash, chill, relax after the hectic pace of Trinidad and Carnival. It has been a very stressful year with serious illnesses and death in the family, I needed to reflect. Sandy Point Village provided me with that opportunity. After much debate I choose the oceanfront room instead of the room with a kitchen and I'm glad I did. Waves glorious waves were at my doorstep morning , noon and night. Crashing waves that I could see from my bed. Waves that I went to sleep and woke up to everyday. And the stars multiple and close in the sky. The patio light didnot work my 1st 3 nights and I had quite a show of shooting stars and celestial glory. Unfortunately the lights came back on and I had to unscrew my bulb to try to recapture that beauty. (Give me the choice of light or no light).
There was a small, rocky patch of beach next door at Sandy Beach if you wanted to get your feet wet. There also was a jettison that you could fish off of or just feel the breeze and spray around you. Sandy Beach has a beach bar and evening activity if you need to socialize. The nightclub at Sandy Village was closed my entire 11 day stay.

I walked the short distance to Story Bay everyday which took me about 20-30 minutes due to disabilities. I made many stops on the way, a small corner store for water, a small fort parklike area and a slightly larger supermarket which should take care of your everyday needs. I also stopped at Crown Point Hotel where one of the receptionists were gratious enough to let me use their computer. Note to self, don't stay anyplace that does not have internet, fax access. I was allowed to check out their property which was beautiful and had access to Story beach. The guest I spoke were repeaters and enjoyed their stay . Only one complained about the rules (something I hate as well) and the rudeness of the service people. Another negative, you coud not hear the waves at all....moving on. I bought my souvenirs from the shop on their grounds as well. I met some interesting people on my walk and had a beautiful calabash bowl made personally for me.

At the beach there is a variety of foods to choose from, an easy vibe. I always rented a chair from Dimples on the beach who was as cute as his name. There were a lot of waves at the beach but not as many as in front of my room. The people were friendly and you were not hassled like in Jamaica, these people took holiday seriously.

I did the glassbottom boat ride and did some snorkeling and went to Pidgeon Beach where the waves are a lot calmer. but I was content in my own neck of the woods, just chilling.

Unfortunately all was not peaches and cream. First my encounter with the weekend evening shift receptionist. She wore the formfitting pink uniform ( at least I thought it was a uniform as I saw her in it 3x's), cute but mean. I had the misfortune of requesting a remote from her. She asked if I had left a deposit, (which i didn't know about) and them informed me there weren't anymore. She kind of shrugged and said, "Oh well". I was so taken back I staggered back to my room and vowed never to ask her anything else again. Unfortunely I did have to speak to her again and received the same attitude. Tobago, beautiful place trying to build up there tourist trade, will definely have to start with the service people because the one I've had contact don't know that they are SERVICE people and take advantage of and abuse their position.

There are no bell person at the desk, you have to lug your luggage about yourself and Sandy Point is NOT handicap accessible. There are a lot of stairs and few railings to assist you.

I ate in the dining room, which is above my room, twice. Once at lunch where the waitress was pleasant and helpful enough (found vinegar for my fries) and then overcharged me for my meal. (didn't go back) Dinner was OK Staff again very helpful, view to die for, slow service, my 1st and 2nd choice where not available. Dinner was OK. The dining room was always busy.

My main complaint is the bed. I had a Kingsized bed of rocks. A single mattress on a wooden plank. I woke up the after the 1st night unable to walk!!! I had to use the cushion from the chairs in the room to cushion my behind. Hampton Inn you are not. If I had one of the loungers from next door I would havebeen better of sleeping on that. Complaints fell on deaf ears and since I didnot want to be known as the complaining guest I endured. ADD A MATTRESS SANDY POINT.

Overall the waves made up for the little glitches I ran across and I would return (with an air mattress) just to hear the waves again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 31 December 2007

We booked our holiday only 6 weeks before we went and were really worried when we read the reviews on this site and others especially those about the airport noise but it really wasn't a problem . We stayed from 19th November - 3rd December and had a poolside apartment

Pluses
The people = if you are out walking everyone speaks and says hello or good evening and if they are selling stuff and you say no, they wish you a nice day and move on it was so nice to re ceive such good manners everywhere.
Good Food =We didn't have a bad meal the entire time we were there, this goes for the whole island too. If you get up to Speyside you really must try Jemma's Retaurant.
Quiet Pool Area= We were often the only ones by the pool and we saw it cleaned every day.
Lovely little beach = The beach area is shared with the Beach Club next door but was never crowded and you can use their beach bar for cocktails.
Friendly Staff= Most of the staff in the hotel and restaurant were friendly and liked to have a joke with the customers.
BIG JOHNSONS DIVE SHOP is right next door and gives special rates for hotel guests. We are keen holiday divers so having Dion's place next door was ideal for us. Dion is a smashing bloke and good dive master .
Good location= If you get tired of the hotel restaurant try Syps just outside it looks empty but the food is good and reasonable. There are loads of restaurants in the Crown Point area most of them pretty good so you can't get bored with the food. Store Bay Beach is within walking distance and has lots going on and good facilities including changing rooms and loos but loads of food outlets and a bar as well as stalls selling handycrafts, keepsakes and beach wear.
There is a minibus to Pidgeon Point every day and although this gets busy you can still find some shade and a bit of peace and quiet and the facilities here are clean and well arranged and more good food and good service from the little bars on the beach. This is also the best place to get on the glass bottomed boats as there is a jetty unlike Store Bay.

Minuses
The approach to the hotel could do with a makeover, it looks a bit rough. The receptionist at the hotel is a bit miserable but I don't think she understands what is said to her half the time. The head waitress also takes her job a bit seriously and can be hard work but by the end of our holiday both of them were smiling and asking about our day.
The rooms do need updating there were wardrobe doors missing and the bathroom needed a refit.
There was no equipment to make a hot drink in our room, so it was lucky we had taken a travel kettle and mugs.
The sleeping platforms creak and you can hear your neighbours very clearly upstairs. The towels and bedlinen are not very good quality and because they use bluing in the wash look grey and washed out.
The pool bar wasn't open, there is no waiter service and you are no allowed to take your own drink or food out by the pool, so a trek to the restaurant is necessary if you want a drink.
The Deep night club is located in the basement of the main block and is open very late Friday's and Saturday's.

Outside the Hotel
The Pelican Restaurant was rubbish the service was really poor the food was being sent to the wrong tables and the only time we got any attention from the waitress other than taking our order was when it was time to pay.

Do go to Sunday School the steel band is good and the dancing is great especially the old guys getting the female tourists up for a twirl. Don't eat before you go, there are loads of food outlets set up fro the event which we didn't know about.

Do hire a car and see the other towns and the rain forest, the hire rates are pretty much the same in Crown Point so hiring from the hotel or the shop at the end of the road is as good as any.

Do go diving or snorkeling the reefs are really good and the numbers and varieties of fish, turtles etc pretty amazing.

We had one of those holidays where we felt that we had been away for ages and came back really relaxed.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank Titianmax
Reviewed 28 November 2007

We have just returned from our 3rd visit to Sandy Point Village within an 8 year period. Nothing much has changed but thats how we like it. It is a very unpretentious hotel, shabby in places but very comfortable & we have always found, very welcoming. Certainly the rooms could do with a bit of updating but they are clean and comfortable with plenty of room, with a full size cooker. We met quite a few return visiors this time and we all agreed it is lovely, but we know what to expect, a couple of knives & forks missing, no plug for the sink or bath but we all agreed we found that quirky, & easily overcome. We have always found the staff very welcoming, true you have to make the effort to speak to them first but once you do they are all very friendly. All in all this is our favourite hotel, no race for sunloungers, an empty pool, peaceful (apart from a couple of nights when The Deep was open, which was the first time in all our visits) and very laidback. We will return.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
6.8 km away
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
Mount Irvine Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Mount Irvine

Been to Sandy Point Village? Share your experiences!