All reviews home away from home bed and breakfast smoked fish flat screen television fruit trees small kitchenette free wifi cable channels pigeon point beach towels guest house local breakfast comfortable room each morning shower head bath towels visiting tobago
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I spent 3 nights at Native Abode for Carnival 2013, from 2/13 - 2/16 after 5 nights at another guest house in Trinidad and it was a world of a difference. The Trotman Family operate a well-run establishment and all the details are taken care of.

Overall Room: I travelled with a friend and we stayed in room 201 - 2 twin beds with a small patio. Unlike another review that stated the room is dark and cramped, I thought otherwise. The room was well lit from multiple light sources: 4 wall sconces (2 each on opposite walls, a night lamp by each bed and a dimmable overhead light on the fan) and there was ample room for our two suitcases, and 2 beach bags: we unpacked and utilized the armoire that was provided. Great touch in the armoire - a safe, which was lacking in our guesthouse in Trinidad. There was a desk and office chair by the bed closest to the patio which I used as my nightstand. I appreciated having a kitchenette in the room as we used the microwave to reheat food, stored wine in the wine rack and stored drinks and other things in the under counter refrigerator. In addition to having a fan, there was air conditioning as well, so we were quite comfortable when we were in the room

Decor: The decor is typical Caribbean fare and if you're looking for more of a minimalist, modern decor, then this would not suit you. My travel companion and I had no issues with the decor. I'm from Trinidad and my friend's family is from St Lucia/Barbados, so we're used to seeing such decor in our grandparents/relatives home. Again for me, this was a non-issue.

Bathroom: The bathroom was clean with complete towel set for 4 provided along with 2 beach towels. These came in quite handy when we went to Buccoo Reef, Nylon Pool and Argyle Falls. The water pressure is good and we never lost hot-water at anytime.

Balcony: the balcony off room 201 offered a welcomed respite where you could sit and drink tea/coffee in the morning or wine in the evenings and enjoy a light breeze while people watching.

Breakfast: We were amazed our first morning at Native Abode when we got a telephone call asking us what we wanted to breakfast. Now that's service!!! Breakfast was delicious with a variety of fruits and juices provided along with several other beverage options including coffee, tea, milo, ovaltine, hot chocolate etc. Carrot and Coconut bake were the "bread" options and there were other toppings to accompany the dishes. Needless to say, I enjoyed breakfast every single day of our stay at Native Abode

Neighborhood/Transportation: Another reviewer complained about the location of the guest house, but HELLO! didn't you research the location before you booked it? If you looked at the guest house's photos, or even looked up the address on a map, you would clearly see it's not on a beach. If you want to be on the beach - this is not the guest house for you. For me, it was fine. Stein dropped us off at Store Bay one day and we walked back - it wasn't far. We event ventured further to the Penny Saver and Time to Wine shops to get some small grocery items and wine and it was not a very long walk. Stein called taxis for us to get to restaurants in other towns as well as coordinated our private island tour.

The only shortcoming I noticed was that this guesthouse is not family-friendly. There are no accommodation options. Three rooms have King beds, one has a double bed and our room had twin beds. The family intends to expand next door so I suggested they offer rooms with sofa beds to accommodate families.

We had such an amazing stay at Native Abode that I intend to return for my next trip to Tobago. Thank you Trotman Family for making our Carnival 2013 detox in Tobago such an awesome experience!!!

Room Tip: Room 201 has a small balcony that is great in the morning and evening for just kicking back and relaxing, enjoying a good breeze while sipping your fav beverage of choice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DvineTrini1
Kaye T, Owner at Native Abode, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

We at Native Abode thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Your sincere remarks and appreciation of our service to you is heart-warming. It was our joy to make you feel like one of us while you stayed with us. We also thank you for your endorsement and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

I spent one night of 2013 Carnival, in Native Abode, and among other good things that I found there, I would mention the friendliness at the reception and monitoring at all times, the concern in the small details inside my room and in the dining room, the excellent food and the quiet of surroundings.
Congratulations to our good host, Mr. Stein.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quiet and clean.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RuiCadima
Kaye T, Owner at Native Abode, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Although your stay with us was a short one, we are glad you were able to experience genuine Tobago hospitality.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

We stayed for two nights before we headed to trinidad for the carnival. I have to say that this hotel exceeded my expectations. Excellent and friendly customer service. Beautiful accommodation and food. It was like home from home. I was thoroughly impressed and recommend to potential visitors as being one of the greatest places to stay.

I do not usually write reviews on my stay in hotels, but I felt that this hotel definitely deserves a great review. :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank finelmg
Kaye T, Owner at Native Abode, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

It was heart-warming to note that we at Native Abode were able to exceed your expectations. We pride ourself on our ability to make our guests feel welcomed and truly at home and are glad you were able to experience it during the time you stayed with us. We are also appreciative of your glowing endorsement.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

My husband and i stayed 2 nights (4-6Jan 13')at this beautiful place. Everything was just as we read on the internet, Native Abode did not disappoint. Our room was clean comfortable and the food was excellent. We had cable and netflix which impressed me because i love watching television. Everything was top class especially the blow dryer on the wall:) Will definitely visit again. Mr. Stein and Kay wonderful people.

Sherena and Indar

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sherry14
Kaye T, Owner at Native Abode, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

We are glad that we lived up to your expectations and truly appreciate your endorsement. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We stayed at Native Abode on December 27th 2012, but wished we had booked for longer. Stein, our host was waiting to welcome us and show us to our room as our taxi arrived. Our room was lovely, immaculate and beautifully decorated with lots of nice touches, such as access to wi-fi, free international calls and access to net flicks in the room. The location is also very good, being close to all the amenities of Crown Point, but tucked away in a quiet street, so you don't get the noise. The breakfast was also great, as you could choose from a selection of freshly cooked local options.
The warmth and helpfulness of the staff was lovely, it is clear to see that they are passionate about what they do.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BirdintheSun
Kaye T, Owner at Native Abode, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Even though your stay with us was a short one, we were glad to extend true Tobago hospitality to you and hope to have you with us some time in the future.