“Ms”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Star Cottage

A view of Star Cottage from outside
General view of the lounge showing the real Oak floor and furniture, and the leather sofa Another view of the comfortable lounge
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
A view of Star Cottage from outside
Another view of the comfortable lounge
A view of the lawns and river from the lounge. (The furniture and TV etc has since been updated).
General view of the main bedroom, with double bed
The second bedroom, with two single beds
The bathroom, with full-size bath and electric shower over
View of the kitchen (note: sofa in the foreground has since been updated)
Another view from outside, showing the lawns. The river is behind the photographer
Floorplan of Star Cottage
Aerial view of Star Cottage, showing the superb riverside location in Wroxham
River trip boat passing Star Cottage
View of Wroxham bridge from the lawns in front of Star Cottage
General view showing a typical stretch of the Norfolk Broads
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Tracie B
“Ms”
Reviewed 29 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017

Lovely cottage. Arrived not quite knowing what to expect but what a surprise, the parking is always a problem as I drive an 8 seater van but private parking right outside what a bonus. Our party 3 adults and a dog arrived to find everything we needed. We are used to self catering, so tend to bring everything with us but Jeremy, the owner had thought of everything even down to a dog bed, 2 dog towels and a dog toy for old faithful, even though we bought her crate and bed she still made full use of this one.

We used the cooker to the full on three occasions but not the microwave.

Visited the local areas Wroxham, Gt Yarmouth, Cromer all easily accessible.

Ducks and geese came to the patio doors for food along with the local bully boy Heron.

On the whole a most enjoyable week and yes we would most definitely return.

Gemjd
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Waste of money and time”
Reviewed 16 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017
people found this review helpful

Left early as the place was very dirty and wasn't cleaned prior our visit....wasted alot of money on this place. Very disappointed and upset the family, as my son wanted to enjoy his holiday but couldn't. The owner is very unresponsive.

Management Response
21 Jul 2017
This upsets me greatly. It is simply, completely, demonstrably untrue to say that the cottage wasn't cleaned before the visit, and what's more, after having been contacted by the guest by email on a Tuesday evening I responded straight away (within perhaps 10 minutes) to arranged for an additional visit by the cleaning company first thing the next morning. Further, after having arranged for this personal visit, I then had multiple further conversations with the guest over the next couple of days - if that's regarded as being "very unresponsive" what else can I possibly be expected to do?

Regarding the cleaning issues - as I say, the cleaning company visited the property and apparently found the guest perfectly friendly and reasonable and after, having done an inspection with them present, it was agreed with them that no further cleaning was required. The guest then stayed for the full remaining time of their holiday, only to later contact me again requesting a refund - which I can only conclude that this was in fact the objective of the whole exercise from the beginning. As someone who tries very hard to satisfy guests and provide them with the best possible service you will understand how utterly galling this is, especially on this particular occasion when both myself and the cleaning company had already 'gone the extra mile' on behalf of this guest and been left with the impression that they were grateful and satisfied

Happy to provide any necessary copies of emails and the report of the cleaning company's visit!

Jeremy Arnold, owner of Star Cottage
A TripAdvisor Member
“small but comfy and convenient”
Reviewed 21 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

Good location. It is within walking distance to the town and it is very convenient to take broads tour river trips and go to BeWILDerwood. The flat is small, but comfy.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
John O
“Room with a view!!”
Reviewed 29 December 2016 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

We booked Star Cottage way back in March 2016 after booking a restaurant for Christmas day lunch.
Being regulars on the boats on the Broads we wanted a riverside setting and the lovely lawned area on the riverfront was the main reason we chose the cottage. The close proximity to Hoveton Village was also beneficial.
We arrived on the 21st December as arranged at 15.00 hrs and wanted to leave after opening the hall door. The view out of the french windows was of a battle field!! We discussed walking away but this was not practical as we had driven 250 miles and had Christmas day arranged so after much discussion decided we would stay.
The owner, Jeremy Arnold, had advised us a few days before that he would be travelling to the cottage in the New Year to do some remedial work around the bath and wanted us to advise him of anything we spotted or thought a problem to allow him to attend to it. I therefore sent a photograph of the works ongoing outside the french window along with the pile driving of the new quay bank boards.
He replied he was amazed and did not know it had started. During the week we talked to other owners or lease holders and they advised they doubted that was true as they had been informed and advised their customers with the option to cancel or move. Starting such disruptive and noisy works several days before one of the high season periods makes no financial sense in my view and shows a total disregard for the customers.
I forwarded a few of the following items we noted but given there was no offer of any compensation coming forward didn't bother again.
1) The cooker extract doesn't work. We were advised it was not wired up only the lights of which one of the two worked.
2) The electric cooker top ring controls have no markings as to any settings and only 2 of the 4 "On" lights work. Dangerous in my view as they could be left on and things then placed on top including hands!
3) The sink tap has seen better days with the hot requiring a lot of pressure to stop it dripping and the cold requiring several turns before it will flow.
4) The microwave clunks and bangs when in use due to a wheel missing of the glass plate support.
5) The heating is supplied by fan heaters but the filters in the one by the hall door look as if they have never been cleaned and are restricting the air flow through the heater. Just hope it doesn't over heat.
6) Shame the armchair leather has been torn but we had furniture covers with us as we have a dog,
7) The flock effect wallpaper on the fireplace wall is dusty and dirty and needs a good cleaning.
8) The frying pans are in need of replacement especially the supposed non-stick that has been damaged over the years by the metal tools but these pale into insignificance when the oven tray is viewed.
9) The bathroom has absolutely no where to put anything. The only flat surface is the edge of the bath but looking at the mastic and mould may put you off. There is a glass holder which had a large glass balanced on top of it when we arrived. We swapped it for the correct one from the kitchen cupboard.
10) Bring wellies of there are going to be extra high tides as we had to paddle out of the car park on the Tuesday and it was in most of the day. Turned to ice the following morning when we left.
11) Be aware that if, like me, you sleep with the bedroom window ajar the metal plates on Wroxham bridge are noisy as the traffic starts to build up around 05.30.

Pleased to say that we still managed to enjoy our Christmas break to some extent but it was in no way thanks to the cottage which is a shame as it is in a great spot.

Your age range 65+
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
2 Jan 2017
Thanks for your review but it is extremely disappointing in the circumstances, and especially given the extensive and amicable communications I had with you and how you knew and fully understood that the work outside the cottages was both unexpected and nothing to do the the cottage owners - and I am just as unhappy about it as you were. I agree that just before Christmas is a strange time to start such works, but although we've know for some 5 years that the work might (or might not) eventually take place, we genuinely had no notification at all that it was due to start when it did. It obviously also affects all the cottages at Peninsula and not just my own. It will at least hopefully be fully finished in the next few weeks and everything will be fully back-to-normal for the 2017 season.

I take on-board the various comments about the cottage itself, although I have already addressed each of these as you know. Yours was the last booking of a busy year as you know, which was why I had asked if you wouldn't mind letting me know of anything which you thought needed to be improved - given that I'd actually requested this information privately I'm a little perplexed (and somewhat upset) that you would feel the need to then copy it into a bad review of the cottage on Trip Advisor! I assume perhaps this is related to your hints that you wanted some compensation for the landscaping work going-on outside - if so you should have mentioned when we had an entirely amicable chat on the phone whilst you were staying at the cottage - rather than waiting until after your holiday was over and broaching the subject for the first time by means of a public review on Trip Advisor. Again, as the cottage owner I feel very 'hard done by' here.

To future guests - please be reassured that I take great pains to maintain the cottage to the highest standard and that all the 'cottage' issues mentioned in this review are being or have already been dealt with. The landscaping outside will hopefully be finished soon (again, nothing to do with me..), and issues such as the bridge and tides are rather beyond my control too!

Many thanks, Jeremy Arnold, owner of Star Cottage
JohnBsTri...
Essex
“Great Views Of River and Wildlife”
Reviewed 15 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016
person found this review helpful

Had a 3 night stay which was booked as spur of the moment thing and was not disappointed with the accommodation. Great views along river and added bonus of wildlife right at your back door! Herons swans and geese regular visitors just outside french doors!
Bed comfy and plenty of towels are provided.
Parking right outside apartment too.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing