“What more could you ask for???”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Southover

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
brand new hot tub!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Paul B
London, United Kingdom
“What more could you ask for???”
Reviewed 18 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014
people found this review helpful

Have to agree with last review. I don't normally write things about places if I liked I go again if I don't i wont. And have to say have already contacted the owner regarding staying again. I really can't see the issue some people have had here unless things were totally different to my stay. I have been going on the broads for well over 20 years and love it but it's normally on a boat, due to a new pup I couldn't consider a boat this time and had to pick a house. With many to choose from we ended up wanting south over.... So was looking at horning or outskirts of wroxham and knowing the broads like the back of my hand and the stretch of river southover sits on it was an easy choice. Ok there were cheaper ones but wanting a day boat for the week on top of house rental it made it the same price. So with fantastic views a boat inc and a hot tub to boot southover had it all for us. Ok it was only me the misses and two dogs and was a lot more house than we needed but after being home for 30 mins I felt compelled to sing its praises. EVERY room in the place gets hot with the heating on inc the boat house room. We're a couple of little bits some people might moan about but not us. It's full of character and just what you would want from a cottage sitting over a river with a view. I have stayed in 5star resorts all inc that I could write a book of complaints about. As for the owner I couldn't ask for more. Had issue with sky ( not his fault but theirs) and he was onto them. Had airlock in hot tub ( due to it being fully drained shed cleaned before our arrival so knew it was fresh for us). And he had some one over to sort out for us,and all this while is wasn't even in the country. He stayed in contact all week to make sure things were fine. And again have to say again he wasn't in the uk!! So people saying unwilling to help. In my experience you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try and if your nit willing to give abit your not gonna get much back, maybe that was people's issues. Anyone looking to stay will love the place love the views with the Birds ( might want to get some frozen fish for the heron or it will give you the evil all day otherwise. And keep an eye out for the otters, see them the last night but had evidence of their feeding on the lawn in the week but missed them

So yes as you can tell great place in our opinion.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Leaving
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
sixmillma...
cambridge
“The house and location are lovely”
Reviewed 12 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014
person found this review helpful

I don't usually do reviews, if I don't like a place, I won't go again. I felt compelled to say something after reading the last two reviews, I didn't recognise it as the same place I stayed in. We were in Southover in September, with friends for a week. The house, the cleanliness, and the location are first rate, we all had a great time, and will return sometime in the future.

How easy was it to book the property?
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 50-64
Rachael B
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Location is fantastic- but the cottage is in an awful condition.”
Reviewed 7 September 2014 for a stay in August 2014
people found this review helpful

We were really looking forward to this holiday but ended up leaving 3 days early. On arrival there was no-one there to give us keys, show us how to use the boat etc. I had spoken to the owner the day before about which bedroom we'd like the cot in for our two year old and he mentioned that 'check-in' time was 2.50pm at the cottage with the cleaner. The following day, after a four hour journey to get there plus battling through roadworks around Norwich we arrived at the cottage at 3.15pm (I had text the owner to say we were running late) to find it all locked up. On calling the owner, when I eventually got through, he was incredibly shirty and said if we'd missed the check-in time then it would cost us £25 for his cleaner to come back out and show us around etc. I was dumbfounded. This holiday was already costing us over £2000 for the one week! We were eventually glad just to get inside the cottage and whilst the location was stunning the cottage itself is very dilapidated. Ironically, obviously the best paid cleaner in Wroxham, doesn't actually believe in doing any cleaning. You stuck to the floor, particularly in the kitchen, the bed linen was dirty and a duster hadn't been used in some time. Even though I'd spoken to the owner prior to the holiday twice about using the cot it wasn't in a bedroom and when we found it out in the (very shabby) games room and moved it underneath it was empty, mouldy glasses, litter and dirt (when we saw the cleaner the next day she said 'they don't clean under things'!) also the cot mattress was in a disgusting state so I wrapped it in as much bed linen as possible but my two year old still got a rash! Much of what's listed as facilities don't work either; the wifi only works occasionally and only in the games room which has a shabby pool table with balls missing. The showers don't work fully etc. So all in all for a few days we enjoyed the stunning scenery but then the dirt and grime of the cottage became too much and we cut our stay short. It's a shame because with some time and money this could be a beautiful cottage.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
26 Jan 2015
Arrived late , rang me shouting about not being met , I explained we have a key safe for late arrivals , I explained boat could not be used without a safety briefing that I would need to be rearranged and paid for , I paid it for the sake of a quite life! Went mad again when I explained we do not supply cot bedding etc( we are not allowed to, I hung up and later spoke to her husband, never heard from her again , there where no complaints to me or the holiday company, I assume she was overwrought with a new baby and I wish her and her husband well
gazasarah
herts
“Ok but in need of a bit of tlc”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014
person found this review helpful

Nice place but in need of a bit of TLC and the cleaners need to do more cleaning ! Ceiling fan I one of the bed room had at least 4 mm of dust and cobwebs a 30 second flick within a duster would have sorted but don't think it's seen a duster for at least 6 weeks small thing but details ? Glass roof over bathroom and kitchen nice touch but again when was they last cleaned ? Over all a nice place but I think cleaners need either sacking or a kick up the ... !

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
TOny13320...
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Friends annual reunion”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014
people found this review helpful

Southover house was an amazing place to spend our weekend together. The place was warm, well equiped, comfortable and a great sociable space. However by far the best thing about this property is its location which is stunning. Surrounded by river with the views and wildlife was an absolute joy. Don't know what it would be like in summer time but March was very peaceful.
Lovey place to stay. Would definitely rebook.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and large sociable space in the property
Liked least: No country pub in walking distance
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing