All reviewssashimiryokanbathstoiletonsencyclingdinnerbikebridge
Reviewed 25 April 2017

It was raining very heavily and visibility was low, and I was stranded at the rest stop at the foot of Tatara bridge after cycling over from Onomichi. I called the ryokan and they were so kind to pick me and my bike up. The room was very spacious and well equipped with a private bathroom and toilet. Although the ryokan has a traditional feel, the room and furniture were kept clean. They also offered to send me to the nearby onsen and pick me up when I'm done. The onsen was what I really needed to heal my aching and sore body. There were 4 indoor and 4 outdoor baths. Fantastic. Dinner was plentiful it was almost too much for me to finish. The sashimi was so fresh that the prawn was still moving when it was served (scary....but ^^). Breakfast the following morning was just as plentiful, and I especially loved the miso soup of that meal. When I left, they gave me a bottle of water and some local mikans as gifts. Overall it was a really fantastic stay and definitely unforgettable, thanks to the friendly staff at Sawaki Ryokan.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank beautifulbloom
Sawaki-K, マネージャー at Sawaki, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2017

Thank you for your review.
Some foreign guests are also afraid of fish moving.
It's proof of the fresh :) We are glad that you were satisfied with dinner.
Thank you for your stay and kind words.
Thank you very much.

Reviewed 21 December 2016 via mobile

I was really excited about this stay as the food pictures looked amazing prior to booking. When we arrived it was apparent that the place is a little dated, however our room was exceptionally spacious. The evening meal was really good, we chose the deluxe option.
The appetisers and grilled mixed seafood dish were on the whole delicious, the shashimi boat had the fish and lobster heads on ice for presentation which were still moving when the boat was set down on the table, this worried us slightly as to how they had been prepared/killed as we aren't into any kind of unnecessary pain for the things we eat, this aside the sashimi was nice and it was good to try lobster shashimi.
On returning to our room at around 9/9.30pm I set out the beds, although I think this was meant to be done for us as later on that night we received a call from reception requesting they make the beds for us.
In the morning we were served Japanese style breakfast which was interesting and later when we set off the owner gave us some local sweets to take with us which was nice of them.
I'm glad I had this experience but I have nothing to compare it to for standard, so the overall rating is my opinion of the overall stay versus the cost.

Sawaki-K, マネージャー at Sawaki, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2017

Thank you for your review.
We are sorry to forget preparing your beds.It's our mistake.
We are glad you satisfied our dinner and breakfast.

Reviewed 3 November 2016

Awesome ryokan on a beautiful island. Staff were outstanding- very friendly and great service. Huge room with very comfortable futons. Big onsen closeby-- it was raining when we were about to go there so they offered to drive us there and pick us up when we were done!

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Sawaki-K, マネージャー at Sawaki, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2017

Thank you for choosing Sawaki.
The weather was not good , but we are relieved to hear your review.
The Onsen is really good, so we recommended it.
Thank you very much!!

Reviewed 21 September 2016

My husband and I stayed at the fantastic Ryokan Sawaki in late August, whist travelling the Shimanami Kaido by bike and bus.
This was our first ever night spent in a traditional Ryokan and the staff were all fantastic and understanding, explaining different aspects when needed. We enjoyed the small onsen, tatami room (which converts to a bedroom whilst you are having dinner), welcome tea, etc.
The food for both dinner and breakfast was delicious and plentiful and the lovely lady / waitress was able to explain dishes in English, which was welcome.
The location is in an interesting little village - don't miss a visit to the nearby Shrine. And the bus stop that goes to Imabari Station is only a short stroll up the road.
Overall a wonderful experience....Not to be missed!!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Sawaki-K, マネージャー at Sawaki, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2017

Thank you for choosing Sawaki.
We are glad to read your review, you enjoyed your stay at Sawaki.
We are learning English for more comfortable stay for foreign guests.
Thank you very much!!

Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend stayed in Sawaki for 2 nights and found this ryokan outstanding! From friendly staff, beautiful rooms and unbelievable food this ryokan ticks all the boxes. I would highly recommend the seafood, it was by far the best I've had in Japan. Can't wait to go back next time I visit Japan.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Sawaki-K, マネージャー at Sawaki, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2016

Thank you for choosing our ryokan.
We are so glad to hear your review [the best I've had in Japan].
Our seafood dinner is very popular for Japanese people also.
We are looking forward to seeing you again, too.
Thanks again.