“Handled with ease!”

Price range: USD 15 - USD 25
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Azul Mediterranean Restaurant & Bar, located in the El Castillo Hotel, offers an elegant setting with legendary ocean views and the most extensive fine wine selection in the area. Our on-site chef prepares dishes with the finest and freshest local ingredients. All are welcome - stop in for drinks or a memorable dining experience. Lunch at your leisure with delicious wraps, salads, and our popular fresh catch fish tacos. Wraps and tacos are served with a salad or hand-cut French fries. Azul transforms for your evening dining experience as you enjoy an incredible sunset. Popular starters include hummus served with our house made pita bread and calamari served with our house made tartar sauce. As a second course, our tomato basil soup or seafood soup complement meals. Entrées include souvlakis with our addictive tzatziki sauce, homemade pasta, grilled fish, and our mariscada Mediterranea, which is a fresh seafood platter, including mussels, clams, calamari, and shrimp. Many diners anticipate our entrée specials and delectable desserts.
Reviewed 21 June 2016

AZUL is a first class restaurant located in the beautiful El Castillo hotel in Ojochal, Costa Rica. I have recently returned from a 5 day stay with my husband and 15 friends for my birthday. Please see our review of El Castillo as well.
As a group of 17 we would have been a challenge for most small restaurants but Scott, the General Manager and Dani the Executive Chef handled it with ease. Every evening Scott and Dani would review the breakfast and dinner menu with us and accommodate special requests such as vegetarians, non-fish eaters and the lactose intolerant. The food was always fresh and delicious and Pablo the Sous Chef was an absolute artist with the presentation.
A few of the folks from our party went on a fishing trip and caught 40lbs of Tuna which Dani prepared and served for us one of the evenings. It was fantastic…even one of our non-fish eaters tried it and declared it tasty.
The ambiance at AZUL is very upscale yet relaxing and many people come in the evening to have a drink and watch the sunset. Some evenings there is live music and we were fortunate enough to be there one evening to hear a couple named Blue Note perform. When they heard there was group there for my birthday they sang one of my favorite Nat King Cole songs while my husband and I danced on the patio around the pool. It remains one my favorite moments from the trip. Our group enjoyed Blue Note immensely and took the opportunity to dance to several of their songs. It was an absolute delight when they came back for the night of the actual birthday party and sang two more songs for us. They have a wonderful sound and a fun and inviting way about them that is irresistible. Thank you Blue Note!
The second surprise was when Scott’s friend Shelba heard it was my birthday and stopped by to sing Happy Birthday. We were all equally amazed when she started to sing and we discovered we were being personally serenaded by a truly beautiful classically trained voice. What a treat! Thank you Shelba!
The locals have already discovered what an amazing restaurant experience AZUL is in every way. I highly recommend that you put it on your itinerary if you find yourself in Ojochal Costa Rica.
Tell Scott and Dani that Susan sent you! And definitely ask for the Mussels.

1  Thank TandSu97

Reviewed 18 June 2016

As a culinary trained chef and a gourmand, I admit I have a rather sophisticated palate. For those who love 'delicious' food prepared in an appetizing way, you can't go wrong with Azul. I had the Moroccan Chicken for dinner - it was delightful, savory, and properly balanced. The Jasmine rice was cooked to perfection. My son had the filet mignon, prepared as a 'stack' with potatoes and vegetables. Also excellent. The atmosphere, the staff, the music, and the incredible views were all magnifico! What a delightful evening. I will be back.

1  Thank bsawyer3
Reviewed 13 June 2016

Best views in Ojochal sitting on top of a hill ,but very expensive. Food was decent but not great for the price. We went to other places nearby with better food.

Reviewed 12 June 2016

The magical sunset combined with chilled wine & sweet Jazzy tunes made this a night to remember. The service ( thank you Zoë ) the atmosphere and not to forget Eduardo's delicious Sushi were truly wonderful.
Bountiful Blessings

Reviewed 11 June 2016

We have been there many times for lunch and dinner, we always have a great time. Last time we were there was for our 10 year anniversary, we had a lovely dinner and enjoyed a beautiful sunset + live music. We love everything about this place, the decor, the view, the food and the service. Karley, our waiter during our last visit made sure that our night was extra special. I strongly recommend it.

1  Thank KathyJonathan