Rough it during the day and live in luxury at night!
We were two people on a seven-week trip to Australia. We stayed at O'Reilly's for four nights in June, 2006. The lodge is surrounded by gorgeous Lamington National Park.
We booked the cheapest, shared-bathroom rooms in advance. Then, one week before our check-in date, I checked rates on line and was able to obtain a fantastic room for about an extra $15 / night. We had a deck with a view of the whole region.
We paid for the full meal plan (although I don't think we really needed it.) Every meal offers a buffet and dishes off the menu. There was a large variety and it varied from day-to-day. There was a bar upstairs with a smaller menu. The servers actually made an effort to learn your names and remember what you had the night before. Surpisingly, the food was quite good! We chose some type of seafood pie. Twice.
You could always find tea and coffee in the dining room and goodies were available at morning and afternoon tea. And, if you know you will be out and about at lunch time, they will make you a lunch to go!
And, you probably WILL be out and about at lunch. There are a million things to do everyday. Bird watching (even if you think you aren't interested!) 4WD tours around the property! Boomerang throwing lessons! A zip line! A giant swing! Short and long guided hikes! Campfire nights! Glowworm spotting!
A library! A fireplace! Gameboards to check out! Movies!
Some of the activities are included, many you have to pay for. We bought an "unlimited activities" pass. We didn't save any money by buying it. However, at that point, in our long trip, we were happy to arrange our daily activities without pulling out our wallet every minute. The activities staff was knowledgeble, friendly and encouraging.
And, there are 150 km of graded trails for bushwalking. Most of our hikes were unguided. We completed the 23km from Binna Burra. Just fantastic. That one-day, one-way walk was the initial impetus to go to O'Reilly's and we sure our glad we did. It was worth every penny. (Not that there are pennies in Australia!)
A final note: We don't have kids, and as teachers on vacation, we didn't really want to be around any! :-) However, O'Reilly's is very family-friendly. I even saw staff taking children out to feed the pademelons.
My only complaint is that there was no bathtub in the room; only a shower. A bath would have been nice after some of those hikes. Poor me. :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Explore World Heritage-listed Lamington National Park from the best and only vantage point on Green Mountain - at O’Reilly’s Rainforest Retreat - operated by passionate by third generation O’Reilly family members whose ancestors pioneered eco tourism in Australia in 1926. Choose to stay in a cosy Rainforest Retreat guest room with expansive views overlooking the western McPherson Range or one of 48 self-contained and architecturally designed modern Villas perched unobtrusively onto the sloping hillside. Get amongst the daily activities of guided bird walks, animal shows and the famed Tree Top Walk and treehouse climb to viewing platforms above. Plus, test your skills on an off road two-wheeled Segway tour through creek crossings to Morans Falls, or bliss out in the Lost World Day Spa. Dine in the casual treehouse bar on homemade pizzas or opt for the rustic dining room with a gourmet a la carte menu including matching wines from the Canungra Valley Vineyards down the road. Order a packed lunch or picnic hamper and set off to one of 500 waterfalls via 160 kilometres of nature trails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Hotels.com, Wotif.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Hooroo Pty Ltd, HotelQuickly and lastminute.com.au so you can book your O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas and Lost World Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- o`Reilly`s Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Hotel Canungra
- O'Reilly's Rainforest Retreat, Mountain Villas And Lost World Spa Canungra, Queensland