“Enoshima Island - black sand / shrines and an island”
Review of Enoshima Island

Enoshima Island
Ranked #1 of 101 things to do in Fujisawa
Reviewed 14 September 2017

I think it was too hot in August when we went, and I'm not the biggest shrine fan. We stayed three nights on the island at a nice home. But if you want to escape Tokyo, I suppose this is one way. From the train stop - it's a 30 minute walk to Enoshima across a beautiful bridge (you can see Mt. Fuji). There is a park, an awesome top of the mountain old walking/small shop area and the large lighthouse. We didn't get to explore the caves since we had little ones who were melting, but they loved eating live fish and other seafood. I thought the black sand beach was a little junky, but could see if I was single how it might be nice. The sand is black. No public shower. If I never go back - that's ok. I won't recommend this, as I believe there are nicer areas in Japan for what you may want to do. Budget and little ones combined with ridiculously hot weather made it even less special for me. My wife might give it 4 stars because she loves shrines and history.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Last time I was on Enoshima was 1998.
There are s not a big change, still nice to walk along the beach.
The food stalls are overpriced for a lousy food quality, to my understanding.
However it's a touristy place and it's to be expected.

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

If you're in one of the big cities and have a JR pass with you, it would be wise to also plan an escape cor 1 day or 1/2 a day. Enoshima is just lovely. Also, impress your friends by telling them that the sand on the beach is black due to vulcanic activity.

2  Thank George B
Reviewed 18 August 2017

Sep2016. I walked over a long bridge (no shade so be prepared to be baked by the sun or else bring an umbrella) and I reached the small Enoshima island. Almost all the footpaths on Enoshima island are up/down hill. Not much flat areas. The good thing is that much of the area are covered by trees so walking around at noon is not so hot. Since everything is up on the hill, the view of the surrounding sea and the mainland looks very nice. FrancisTLim

Reviewed 5 August 2017

We had so much fun on Enoshima Island- more so than we expected, actually! It is an easy day trip from Tokyo, it took us about an hour and 45 minutes from the Asakusa area to Enoshima, three trains total but pretty easy to navigate. Once at the Enoshima stop it is a walk over a bridge onto Enoshima Island where there is a path which takes you around the whole island- through temples, view points, a lookout tower, caves, past shops, food stalls, and so many little things to see along the way. Some of the stops have a fee, the candlestick lookout tower for example, but you can spend a bare minimum and still have a really nice time. You can also pay a nominal fee and ride escalators up some of the more steep inclines, which is more than worth it on a super hot day!

Enoshima Island has a very 'old Japan' aesthetic which is very charming and there are lots of interesting foods to try along your route, like the big octopus cracker made right in front of you or the ice cream stall where you can pick from an array of interesting flavors, such as little white fish or sweet potato. If you are looking to spend a day outside of Tokyo, Enoshima is an excellent choice. Highly recommend!