“Mothers day”

Horse and Jockey
Ranked #10 of 27 Restaurants in Wem
Price range: USD 13 - USD 35
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Visited horse and jockey today, for mothers day meal for 13 people food of outstanding quality, well presented, not your average pub food , warm and welcoming pub, friendly staff / excellent service lovely clean rustic atmosphere, highly recommended will definately visit again

2  Thank willjampil

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Excellent beer well kept and the new managers are really friendly and welcoming. Mark definitely knows how to keep and maintain a good pint. The place has a real buzz and I have seen a big influx of new customers in the bar and restaurant. The manager has kept the same waiting staff who are polite and knowledgeable. The pub has a new chef and having sampled some of his food I am sure he will make his mark on the place. Mark and Jan are supporting the local community and I wish them well in the village. Having said this I find it hard to understand the 2 negative reviews that have been put on. Saying the pub is "absolutely disgusting" could be taken as an insult to the local customers. Keep up the good work guys.

1  Thank Ajbigleggy
Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

We have been here a handful of times and it has always, always been absolutely divine, but apparently it is now in different hands and we were left sorely disappointed and hungry. The steak and ale pie resembled cat food, and was dry and chewy. Hardly justifiable of the price tag considering I ate the chips and that was it. I complained and was met with a pretentious rudeness, about how the meat wasn’t chewy because the waiter had tried it? Excuse me. It was chewy and disgusting, and the rest of my family around the table agreed. Very rude and nonchalant. Offered a substitute of pasta, which I declined as I do not like pasta and my family had almost finished eating. I was then offered a free sweet. Which to me is just plain rude considering they served me disgusting food and I haven’t had a main meal. I requested the manager who was pleasant enough and offered to take the main meal off the bill. However the pretentious waiter lingered and cut in every opportunity he got whilst I was trying to talk. We then decided to stay and have a dessert, we all ordered a chocolate brownie, what they served us I have no idea. It was such a tiny slice you could barely make it out on the plate. It wasn’t chocolate that’s for sure. Neither of us had the energy to complain so we finished our dessert and went to pay the bill. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU EAT HERE! IT WAS DISGUSTING! RUDE STAFF WHO TRY AND BELITTLE CUSTOMERS. It was beautiful when we have been there in the past, but it has really gone down hill. Will never return. Lost 5 loyal customers.

8  Thank Laura P
Reviewed 5 March 2018

No longer run by the Vernon family and sadly no longer the same high quality of service or food. Small portions served on small plates to deceive patrons into thinking they are getting value for money when they are not. Steak pie not the raised pie full of succulent meat serve with a rich gravy now replaced with a bland virtually meat free offering that would hardly fit the description. Sticky toffee pudding so small a portion that it looked lost on the plate very bland. Fire alarm constantly sounding when ever a diner had a steak on the stone served. Service slow coffee ordered not served left tired of waiting. Will not return

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

We celebrated our son’s birthday here last month and had a lovely meal. Sizzling Steaks were great the curry delicious. The time between courses was just right. Not rushed but not kept waiting.

2  Thank sue v