“Slow, slow, slow”

Price range: USD 4 - USD 33
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: This is a magnificent grade II listed building, standing on the banks of the River Severn, it has been tastefully decorated and captures the charms of its original coaching inn days, reflecting an atmosphere of comfort and tranquillity. The hotel has been awarded 3 AA stars and provides quality food and service in a welcoming environment. Food is served all day and the range of menus feature fresh seasonal produce produced by the talented kitchen brigade. The venue benefits from a central location and is ideal for meetings and functions. Resident guests can enjoy a range of short breaks in well appointed bedrooms.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

O my word, slow service even though it wasn't particularly busy. 4 of us went for lunch, it all started off well enough, got our drinks & main course ok. Then waited ages for someone to clear the main plates away - when they did there was no mention of 'did we want dessert' or 'can I get you anything else'. Sat and waited some more, then another table (also tired of waiting) got up and went to get themselves the dessert menu, so I did the same. We chose our puddings and waited some more. No sign of waiting staff in the restaurant, they all were serving customers who were also eating in the bar area. Finally I went in search of someone and asked if they could come and take our order - and he did. So we got our desserts while the other table still waited for service. At the prices charged here I would have expected a bit more. The food was good - I had the spicy tomato soup and for my taste was a bit too spicy. I dare say it was fine for some. The chicken liver pate was good, the duck, and the pearl barley risotto were enjoyed, as were the puddings. Overall, could do better on the service side. Not a large car park and with selfish parking with cars spread over what could have been two spaces (none were marked) it got crowded quite soon. While we were finding ourselves somewhere to park at least 2 cars came in and went away again. Finally, although a wheelchair could get into the restaurant and bar, there was a step up into the toilets.

1  Thank Christ0pherM00n
TheMytton, General Manager at The Mytton & Mermaid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Dear Christ0pherM00n,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to us here at the Mytton & Mermaid. Please accept my apologies for the lack of service that you received during your visit. Naturally this isnt how we look to present ourselves and it will be addressed. I am however glad to read that you enjoyed the food.

Hope fully you will look to return and we can show you an improvement on service.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Very ordinary sandwiches which weren’t even presented nicely, cakes were ok but nothing special, very disappointing at any price but £30 for 2 is shocking.

Afternoon tea is meant to be an experience (in a good way), I was just glad when it was over.

TheMytton, General Manager at The Mytton & Mermaid Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear BigRedMonkey2409,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to us here at the Mytton & Mermaid for afternoon tea. It is disappointing that you didnt enjoy it, and comes as bit of a shock given the number of superb comments we get about our afternoon teas. I notice this is your first and only review on trip advisor. Please dont take this the wrong way but we have been receiving a number of first time, one reviews, that have proved to be bogus. Could I please ask you to send an e-mail detailing the date of your visit so that I can discuss this with you personally as I would like nothing more than the opportunity to put matters right.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Nice place - clean and warm, with a good selection of ales. Food was good and servings commensurate with the needs of those who had walked from Shrewsbury.

Dear John S,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to us here at the Mytton & Mermaid and thank you for the four stars and kind words. We hope to see you again for a return visit.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Came from Monaco to visit my mum for Easter. We decided at the last minute go to the Mytton and Mermaid at last minute for lunch. The restaurant was very full. The service was very good and the staff very polite and friendly. The menu was very good with plenty of choice. Had the Bo Vien meatball starter - Vietnamese flavored meatballs with dipping sauce. It was so good and i received a complimentary box with sauce to take home. Just need to remember what was in the sauce. Pricing was good also, Would always recommend others to go there. Please send me the ingredients list edmund1962monaco@gmail.com

Dear edmund1962,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to us here at the Mytton & Mermaid, and thank you for the kind words and five stars. We are really glad that you enjoyed your meal and thank you for the recommendation. I have passed your request onto Chris Burt, the executive chef, to send on the ingredients.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

After a long trip back from Nottingham we thought we would give this place another try as we believe it has not long changed hands.
The barman was excellent, his advice on wines was good, he gave me a taster of a new beer I had not tried before and it was very good so I had a Pint of it and another with the meal

We were shown to our table by a charming young girl who was very heldpful and she told us she had only been there a couple of weeks but she was very good.

The meals we had were not spectacular, the Haddock fillet was rather thin but tasty, the Tartare sauce was not to the taste of any of the three of us who had the fish.
The fish came with a fancy titled type of mushy peas but it was more like a thin puree, not what we would have expected with a traditional fish serving.

We looked at the desert menu but didn't find much that floated our boat so to speak so we asked for the bill.
We assume it was the duty manager or such who brought it to the table in his hand, no tray or plate and dropped onto the table. We were not asked if we enjoyed our meals and it was almost too much trouble from his manner.

We won't be hurrying back there.

2  Thank Doncosses

Dear Doncosses,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent visit to us here at the Mytton & Mermaid. I am sorry to read that the Tartare sauce or pea puree were not to your taste. We do try our best to please all guests and it is a shame that these items were not to your particular liking.
Regarding our bill presentation, they are not presented on a plate, instead in a comment card allowing guests to leave feedback if they wish. We do receive a lot of feedback this way and it has proved to be very worthwhile. I am sorry if this has in someway offended you. Regarding the member of staff who brought you the bill, if you wouldnt mind dropping me an e-mail with the date of your visit I can look into who was on duty that day and chat to the member of staff in question.

On the plus side I am glad you enjoyed the beer and service from the other members of the team. Hopefully this will be enough to encourage you to make a return visit.